Posts Made By: Tom Pico

December 14, 2002 05:48 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Best Wide Field Eyepiece

Posted By Tom Pico

I find that it's really hard to get decent wide field views with the f/10 scopes. I have a C-9 1/4 and with a 55mm TeleVue plossol I get 43x and a 1.16 deg. true field. That's ok, but for real wide field/low power views a 17mm Nagler in my 4" Borg f/6.4 gives 37x and a 2.2 deg. true field - double the true field of the C-9 1/4 - and a very pleasing rich field view.
You could probably mount an inexpensive 80mm f/5 scope on your C-8 and using an inexpensive eyepiece, for example, a Borg 22mm widefield (70 deg. apparent field) you'll get 18x and a 3.88 deg. true field -- a real rich field view at a very reasonable price. They views with a 80mm are not as good as a 100mm (duh!) but the price is right and you don't need another mount.

December 22, 2002 05:34 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Astroview 120ST refractor - review

Posted By Tom Pico

PS - I bought my Borg from Don Bledsoe and it is top notch - as is Don. Of cousrse, it costs a tad more than the Orion, but worth it. Anyone looking for a reasonably priced, high quality refractor capable of handling magnification and giving crisp views should check out the Borg.
Thanks again, Don.

December 25, 2002 08:22 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

6" refractor resolving power.

Posted By Tom Pico

Great thread and since its Christmas - I agree with everyone!!
Couple of points:
1. Not all glogulars are created equal. More aperture means you can resolve fainter stars. Some globs are very rich in 13 - 16th magnitude stars (e.g.,M-4, M-5 and Omega Centauri) others (e.g.,M-13) have nearly half their stars in the 16 - 22 magnitude range. There is a big difference between my 6" refractor and my 9 1/4 SCT when viewing globs with most of their stars over 12th magnitude. The difference isn't so significant (still noticeable however) with clusters with more stars below say 10th magnitude. However, even my C-11 won't resolve 15th magnitude or fainter. According to Celestron, their C-14 will resolve to 15.3 magnitude. So resolving to the core is not going to happen with a 6, 8, 10, 12 or even 14 inch scopes.
2. Why are you viewing globular clusters? Spectragraphic analysis? Preparing Hertzsprung-Russell diagrams? Good for you. I look at them because they are beautiful. They are beautiful in 3, 4, 5 and 6" refractors, in 9 1/4 and 11" SCT's, in 5 and 6" MAK's and 7x50 binoculars.
3. Purchasing decisions when it comes to scopes are totally irrational. All of us who even read this thread are nuts. Those of us who join in are complete loons. If you don't believe me - ask your wives. So, buy whatever scope makes you happy (and doesn't bust the bank, too much) and enjoy! Regardless of what scope you buy, after 2:00 a.m. -- all globulars are beautiful.
Merry Christmas to all and to all -- Clear skies!!

March 3, 2003 07:41 AM Forum: Meade

Ended up with an AR-5 and a smile!

Posted By Tom Pico

Congratulations! Beautiful scope isn't it? And you will find it easier to set up than the 6" - I just figured out a way to put a handle on my 6" today so as to make carrying and mounting the scope easier. You won't have to worry about that with the 5".
And, yes, it always rains when you get a new scope. But the skies will clear as soon as its full moon. Clear skies anyway,
Tom

March 6, 2003 05:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Williams Diagonal

Posted By Tom Pico

I have two of the older model William Optics (1/6 wave)diagonals and can vouch for their quality - comparable to the Televue standard (non-Everbrite) model. I saw the $99 special at Anacortes and just ordered the new 1/10 wave 2" diagonal - what a deal!! Televue has great products but William Optics does too and at 1/2 the price!

March 6, 2003 05:21 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Panoptics

Posted By Tom Pico

I have a 27mm and 15mm Panoptics - I can not see any distortion. Maybe I need my eyes checked. But I agree with Chris that these things are very subjective. I've also noticed that my eyes differ in light & color sensitivity. My left eye sees more color and sees objects brighter than does my right eye. But with either eye I don't see any pincushion or other distortion in my Panoptics at night -- haven't looked for it in the daytime. Perhaps pincushion like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

March 7, 2003 05:30 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Which Diagonal

Posted By Tom Pico

Check out the William diagonal thread earlier today. The William Optics 2" new generation diagonal is on sale for $99 at Anacortes. I just ordered one today and it was shipped today. As noted in the earlier thread, I have two of the older William Optics 2" diagonals and they are excellent.

July 12, 2003 07:29 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

What I saw in Hawaii

Posted By Tom Pico

Good fun photo Alex -- only problem is that there's bound to be someone out there who will think its for real and be very disappointed when they get to Mauna Kea.
Oh well, I've given up trying to convince people that we use American money and that the girls aren't running around topless wearing grass skirts. You'd think enough people would have seen Hawaii 5-0 to dispel these myths, but myths die hard.
Here's a photo of what you really will see in Hawaii.
Tom Pico
Kailua, Hawaii