Posts Made By: Darrell Hensley

April 30, 2006 07:18 AM Forum: Telescope Making

dobsonian telescope

Posted By Darrell Hensley

Hello,Im new to astromart and am starting a telescope project.Im starting out with a 6"dobsonian.I printed off some seemingly simple plans to build it,but when it comes to the teflon bearings I'm lost.Where or what can I get to make them.Would just plastic work?I bought some furniture sliders of all shapes and sizes to turn the box left to right and hoping up and down in the V cut cradle would work also.Iknow a lot of you guys may be laughing but I dont have any idea of what they should look like.Can I get some ideas on how to build my dobsonian from some of you veteran builders out there?I'm now hooked on stargazing and just want a bigger scope than my ds2114 ats.Ineed more.Maybe after this project I might be able to build a 12 or 15"dob.I figured if Imessed up it would be on the 6"and I could learn from it and some of you folks.By the way,having a rainy night in southern Ky.Icant use any of my scopes except to see the coal hills.Thanks a lot,Darrell Hensley

May 1, 2006 08:54 AM Forum: Telescope Making

teflon bearings

Thanx a million gang.I've got some virgin teflon on way from meridian.Could'nt have done without the help of my new astronomy pals.Keep an eye out for me Im gonna need some guidence----PLEASE!!!I got all my pieces of plywood cut out and my sonotube prepped.Now the fun starts like where do I put my focuser on a 48" long tube.I'll be back next weekend.You are what we call here in Kentucky-Good people.thanks again,Darrell Hensley

May 4, 2006 05:38 PM Forum: Reflectors

clutch assembly for meade 1240 electric focuser

does anyone out there know where I could get a new clutch assembly for meade 1240 electric focuser for all ds series scopes? I snapped mine when adjusting it.I'll even take a used oneif any body wants to part with their focuser.A new focuser is 70.00, so I dont want to have to go that route just for a small plastic part.THANX, Darrell Hensley

May 9, 2006 07:36 PM Forum: Telescope Making

primary mirror

Hello everyone,I just finished building my first dobsonian the other day minus the mirrors,spider,and focuser.I'm building a 6"and have my mount and tube ready.I was getting ready to order a kit which includes both mirrors,spider,1.25" focuser and eyepiece,also the finder scope for 229.00,I felt this to be a good deal.What I was wondering was do I get the f/5 or the f/8 primary.My tube is 48" sonotube 8" diamater.Both is same price but confused on which I should get.I put this all off till last because I really dont know a lot about it.I just got hooked on astronomy and wanted a bigger scope and to see how one works.I figured building it was cheaper and has been fun,now I'm staerting to get a little nervous because I dont want to do it wrong and waste the money,229.00 dollars is a lot of money at my house unless its being spent on my kids or wife-small joke.Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.Thanks for all your past help on giving me direction on the teflon bearings.Darrell Hensley

May 10, 2006 07:20 AM Forum: Reflectors

ds 2114 ats focuser

I finally got through to Meade and they are replacing my focuser for free!!I tried off and on for over a week and couldnt talk to a real person till now.The folks at Meade seem to be really nice-and busy.The only thing they wanted to know was when I bought my telescope and my mailing address to ship my new focuser.Darrell Hensley

May 20, 2006 06:53 PM Forum: Telescope Making

dobsonian telescope

Hello gang,Im trying to finish my new dob and all I lack is the focuser and spider w/diagonal.I'm building a 6" dob with an 8" tube 48" long.My primary is f/8.Having never done anything like this and a real amerature to astronomy I'm starting to get a little nervous about these last few steps.My primary w/cell is 2" from bottom of tube,focal length is 48".First of all do I install the focuser first then line up the diagonal from there? It would seem to be easier for me that way.Does it go a little below the focuser or directly out from it? How far down from the end of the tube do I need to drill my focuser hole?My focuser fully racked in is 4".It is a Meade rack and pinion focuser for a newtonian dobsonian project.It was origanally for .965 eyepieces but I installed an adapter for 1.25.The diamater of the hole will be 1.5".So back to my question,can someone help me out and tell me where to drill my hole and please show me the math you use so that when I build my next dob(which hopefully will be at least 10"If I can get a good deal on a mirror-I'm just a postal worker.)Any assistance would be so greatly appreciated as I am so anxious to try out my new telescope thatI built.I must say it really looks good,good enough that my wife said I could bring it in the house.Well----Maybe.Thanx so much Darrell Hensley

May 21, 2006 02:52 AM Forum: Telescope Making

installing focuser on dobsonian

Gee Whiz!I guess noone wants to help out the rookie.I really thought that I'd be bombarded with advice on helping me with my project being as green as I am,I know that I would help anybody if I could.Their were 15 hits on my question but no responses.Maybe you didnt take me serious,but I was really counting on some of you guys for help.Astronomy has been my hobby for almost 5 months and now I'm building a telescope-I thought with the help from you folks @astromart,thats why I joined.Noone seems to be interested until I found all of you,as green as I am there is not one among you that loves this hobby more than I do,I just cant go out and buy everything I would love to have.I look at some of these wonderful telescopes that some of you sell and ask myself-How could any one bear get rid such a great telescope?I'd give my eye teeth to have one of them.I'm sure its none of my business though,you have good reasons I'm sure.I just wanted a little advise on where to locate my focuser on my cheap homemade dob.If any one would help me I would greatly appreciate it.Again it is a 6" dob,f/8 ratio,8"tube 48"long,Ithink the true focal length is 48"from what I could see.The primary mirror and cell are 2"thick from the bottom of the tube,already installed.I have a meade .965 rack and pinion focuser for newtonian - dobsonian projects.Fully racked in the focuser is to the top of the 1.25" adapter 4" high.My focuser hole will be 1.5" in diameter.If you dont want to tell me where to locate the focuser please show me the math I need to use to do it.I'd really like both.Thanx again,Darrell Hensley P.S.How do you get ratings? I've given ratings but never recieved any after buying merchandise on an auction and similar instances.Just wondering///////////

May 21, 2006 02:54 AM Forum: Telescope Making

installing focuser on dobsonian

Gee Whiz!I guess noone wants to help out the rookie.I really thought that I'd be bombarded with advice on helping me with my project being as green as I am,I know that I would help anybody if I could.Their were 15 hits on my question but no responses.Maybe you didnt take me serious,but I was really counting on some of you guys for help.Astronomy has been my hobby for almost 5 months and now I'm building a telescope-I thought with the help from you folks @astromart,thats why I joined.Noone seems to be interested until I found all of you,as green as I am there is not one among you that loves this hobby more than I do,I just cant go out and buy everything I would love to have.I look at some of these wonderful telescopes that some of you sell and ask myself-How could any one bear get rid such a great telescope?I'd give my eye teeth to have one of them.I'm sure its none of my business though,you have good reasons I'm sure.I just wanted a little advise on where to locate my focuser on my cheap homemade dob.If any one would help me I would greatly appreciate it.Again it is a 6" dob,f/8 ratio,8"tube 48"long,Ithink the true focal length is 48"from what I could see.The primary mirror and cell are 2"thick from the bottom of the tube,already installed.I have a meade .965 rack and pinion focuser for newtonian - dobsonian projects.Fully racked in the focuser is to the top of the 1.25" adapter 4" high.My focuser hole will be 1.5" in diameter.If you dont want to tell me where to locate the focuser please show me the math I need to use to do it.I'd really like both.Thanx again,Darrell Hensley P.S.How do you get ratings? I've given ratings but never recieved any after buying merchandise on an auction and similar instances.Just wondering///////////

May 23, 2006 09:06 AM Forum: Ask rating questions here

ratings after a purchase

Hello,I was wondering if the person that you buy something from has the opportunity to give ratings.I'm new to astromart and dont have any yet and its important to me anyway to recieve what is due to me.I bought a primary mirror,spider,secondary mirror and holder in an auction not long ago,I had this persons money in his account within 15 minutes.I gave him top rating for being of such help walking me thru the paying process and got a perfect product.Hopefully he will read this message and remember to post my ratings.Read this Bill!!!Darrell Hensley

May 28, 2006 05:01 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

2 new telescopes

Well guys,Sounds like you could have been camping here at my home town,the people are the same all over these days.Your best bet is private property with a gate that locks,but watch out for the horses and cattle.Anyway,it was like Christmas at my house today.I work 3rd.shift at the postal service and got up at noon and found that my new telescope had arrived and was sitting on my back deck,Iassembled it and did all the checks on it and trained the drive.Then I went out to my work shop in the back yard and finally finished my new dobsonian 6" telescope.This was my first dob to build and I could'nt be happier with the results.Everything worked out great mostly from the help from all you great folks at astromart.I even bought my mirrors,spider and diagonal holder from one of our auctions.The best astronomy decision I ever made was joining this forum of good people.I cant wait till my next project begins,hopefully a 10" dob.Thanks, Darrell Hensley