Posts Made By: Darrell Hensley

January 21, 2007 08:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

First light with new 12" Zhumell

Posted By Darrell Hensley

I finally got to use the culprit that had my concience at an all time bad.The optics are really great.I did'nt think that going from 10" to 12" would be that different,but it had a wow factor to it nontheless.The down fall is the particle board mount and it has to use the springs.I've gotten accustomed to no springs and quality wood that looks like wood.The handle-only one-is in the front,I like having a handle on each side.Having one in the front is almost useless with a scope this size.I'm probably gonna build a new mount or even a pedestal mount like the one I have for my 6" dob.I have all the equipment needed for this,so while we are having this terrible weather I might just do this.We've had freezing rain,regular cold Kentucky rain,and flurries since I got my new scope.We had one day that was clear-thank goodness!!!One more thing about the mount,they did'nt put the bearings for the ground board in the box.I had some virgin teflon and an old LP album to use.Had this been a first time astronomer or a green newby they would be waiting for Zhumell to make up their minds on what to do.All in all,I like the scope but they could do better.With the mount they give I think the price should be a little less.If anyone ever gets the chance to buy a mirror out of a Zhumell dob go for it,the images are terrific.Nuff Said,Darrell

January 29, 2007 09:03 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

strongest dob mount around

Hey Guy's, I got my Zhumell dob mount as tough as can be expected. I put 2 side braces(on the outside)of the mount to stop any wobbling,I ran a board from side to side in the front of the mount under the tube to stop any wobbling, and I also put big flat feet on the bottom of the ground board that if it tilts at all you have to actually pick it up to do so.This mount is as sturdy as the mount I built for my 10" dob. I can't wait to get to use it again. It actually looks like it came that way with the scope. Thank you very, very, much Floyd. I hope you know that I will be bugging you from now on with questions on how to fix different things on my equipment. If you're like me you wont mind trying to help someone-Thanx!!!! After just putting bigger feet on, it stopped 90% of the wobble and then a couple of braces made it solid as a rock. After I get a camera up and going I will show you what I did. Again, Thanx to everyone that gave ideas on how to fix my new telescope, Very Sincerely,Darrell

February 11, 2007 08:23 AM Forum: Telescope Making

cheap mirrors

Hey guy's, I don't know if this is a warning or something to make fun of myself, I guess a little of both. a couple months ago I put in the starting bid on a Sylvan 6" F5 parobolic mirror to make myself a newt to go on my new mount and one of my old ones. WOW! Man this mirror if thats what you want to call it is terrible. It's more of a blank with coatings and they forgot to grind it. It turned out to be around a F4 which is just fine no big deal, I just cut the tube a little. The views are something else though, I finally got some rings to come in after ordering them on December 23, I wont say where, its a place we all know and love. Sometimes things can't be helped when waiting on the manufacturer then when they finally came in I had spent all my funds on my card I put aside for astronomy only, you know that story but I had fun doing it. Anyway- I looked at Saturn and could'nt tell what it was, looked more like Arcturus, but DSO's looked decent on one side of the mirror. It only cost $23.00 so if anyone needs some good glass to figure and recoat its not too bad of a deal, they also have 8" too. I started to get one for 40 something dollars but did'nt have a spare shelf to just let it lay around forever. I think you've already figured out where I got this junk, I always find what should'nt be bought. I think I got a decent one coming from an old telescope maker that is selling off his stuff for $37.00 and free shipping. It is a 6" F4 so I wont have any trouble just setting this mirror in the tube. I have it looking pretty good so it's worth having a good mirror in it. One more thing, has anyone ever had any experience with Hubbleoptics on the same website or is it another Sylvan optics? They have some bigger mirrors for a decent price but I don't want to throw good money after bad. They even have 12.5" mirrors, Sorry for such a long thread. Sincerely, Darrell :C

February 11, 2007 06:23 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Liquid mirrors

I know this is'nt anything new to anyone that checks out our forums regulary, but I was reading an article on a liquid mercury mirror that goes in depth about its history and is now being used. Go to www.space.com/scienceastronomy/astronomy/liquid_mirror_000924.html Just thought it was an interesting article. Darrell

February 13, 2007 07:56 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

South Pole of the sun revealed

Hello, For anyone interested there is an interesting article about a flyby of the southpole of the sun. You can check out the article at www.space.com/scienceastronomy/070213_ulysses_flyby.html , It's just something not done everyday or every mission in depth as it is here. Regards, Darrell

February 14, 2007 06:47 PM Forum: After Dark

Total lunar eclipse

Here is yet another article I found to be of interest to all of us. We will be having a total lunar eclipse 3/3/07. the link is www.space.com/070209_lunar_eclipse.html

February 16, 2007 08:07 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

fake star test

Hello all, I was wondering if it was possible to use a Christmas tree light as a star for a star test or does it actually need to be very,very, bright? I've never tried it before but I think if it was bright enough it would work. Don't laugh as I'm still trying to learn a little bit here. Sincerely, Darrell

February 28, 2007 05:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Same old new dob

Hello all, Sorry to bring this thread back up about my Zhumell but I just had to talk about this to someone. From about 2:20am to 4:30am I had a blast that took my mind completely off getting a 16" lightbridge, well almost. I finally got a good spot in my yard although not as dark as I would like and resolved M13. My goodness, I could'nt believe how beautiful it was. I spent an hour and a half looking at, I'd try my 25mm W.O. 2" eyepiece which was great and then I tried the eyepiece I bought from Larry which is the Orion Ultrascan 12mm 78 degree FOV that also has the name as the poor man Nagler, sure is owned by right person. Then I used it with my barlow and it completely filled the ep. I could'nt stop playing with different EP's, I would say at leat 8 or 10 different EP's were used. I had'nt this much fun since I'd gotten this dob. By the time I was done and I had to make myself stop I noticed an old friend, Jupiter. The 4 moons were almost in a straight line and very bright. Although I saw the bands I did'nt see the red spot. I played around with Jupiter for about a half hour before my back decided it could'nt stand it anymore. I've been in traction before and it reminded me that I not in my twenties any longer. So to have a fun project I'm gonna build me a chair sort of like the cats perch and save that money for something else. Before I finally went in I had to look one more time at M13. Then I put everything away and collapsed in the bed. Sorry to talk so long but I thought my 12" dob did what I was looking for in the first place. Clear Skies, Darrell

March 3, 2007 11:49 PM Forum: After Dark

Lunar Eclipse

Well, so much for taking photo's of the eclipse. Had a perfectly clear day all day today, did'nt even wear a coat while piddling out in the yard. Now all of a sudden we're getting snow flakes the size of silver dollars- the old ones. Sort of like buying a new scope. Same thing happens on meteor showers and solar eclipse's.
Clear skies for everyone else, Darrell

March 6, 2007 03:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade is actually alive

HOORAY!! Meade finally acknowledged the fact that I bought sky assurance back in December. At first I was getting the same old run around, just give me your phone# and email address and we'll get back in touch with you tomorrow. I stopped them in their tracks and demanded they hear me out.

After I told them about half of what was going on with my LXD75 AT mount they said please hold while I check for the contract on your sky assurance.

They came back to the phone and gave me a number to send it back in for free because they found my contract. I then made them listen to the rest of what was wrong with my mount from the time that I took it out of the box.

This guy laughed because he could'nt believe what I had to go through. I guess I sound kind of funny with my Kentucky accent and a few jokes in between. I finally will be getting my mount replaced. I know theres a part that can't be fixed so it will have to be replaced.

It only took 3 weeks for them to have UPS to pick up my mount, about 15 minutes ago. Man this was the toughest time I had ever had but they finally came through. I guess that makes you right again Jon, but I wish it would have been a little sooner. I suppose it would have if I had asserted myself the first time I was able to reach them.

Just a note to let you know that Meade is still alive- barely!!
Cheers, Darrell