My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Brad Geisler

July 30, 2009 11:44 PM Forum: Takahashi

Is a Mewlon 250 the right direction ??

Posted By Brad Geisler

I'm thinking about a Mewlon 250 to replace my 7" Mak and a CPC1100. My stable has an 18" Dob and an 80mm FD as well. I'm thinking the 250 would be better planetary than the 7" Mak but slightly less light grasp than the 11". I don't want exclusively a planetary scope and it sounds like the 250 is more than capable on DSO. I have also heard rumor about diffraction spikes in the Mewlon series with bright objects such as planets. What is the real deal you Mewlon efficianatos ???? Would I be better off with a TOA 130 for what I'm after or would I loose to much light grasp ??

Thanks in advance,
Brad in Phoenix

March 22, 2010 05:04 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Brass compression ring replacement

Posted By Brad Geisler

Does anyone make and sell replacement brass compression rings for 2" visual backs and other accessories ?
Have not found one yet in various searches. Should I visit a metal retailer or are they out there ?
Thanks for any assistance,
Brad

May 1, 2010 06:04 PM Forum: Takahashi

My new to me Mewlon 250 S

Posted By Brad Geisler

Hello all you Tak fans.

Back in July I asked you good people your opinion on an M 250 to replace my CPC 1100 and 7" Mak LX200 GPS. Your responses guided me to start watching the classifieds in February and I found success in March with the purchase of a beautifully well maintained unit right here in Arizona. The former owner was Milton Wilcox, whom many of you may have known prior to his passing some two weeks later. A wonderful man and a pleasure to have met and spent time with.

As I was only planning visual use for now, I mounted the 250 S on a brand new CGEM. I had two half nights of observing before the mount went back for warranty. So here I sit with my exquisite new toy and no mount to use it on. Such is life !

I have already determined that the Mewlon's contrast and appetite for magnification in less than perfect conditions exceeds my expectations, even better in good conditions. I will certainly learn more when the mount gets back.

Thanks to all of you who guided me down this path.

Brad Geisler

May 26, 2010 10:43 PM Forum: Eyepieces

How does a 24mm UWA stand up to f4.5 ???

Posted By Brad Geisler

I recently had a 26T5 stolen, and aside from being upset with that fact, I really don't want to shell out $540 for another one when I could get the Meade 24mm UWA for $249. Other than a 14mm UWA I use in an f7 refractor, I have no experiance with other EP's in the Meade UWA line.
Mostly concerned with performance in my 18" Obsession at f4.5.
Your thoughts and experiances are welcomed.
Thanks in advance,
Brad

July 23, 2010 12:08 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Re: Can someone help me to start a classified ads?

Posted By Brad Geisler

Hi Anna,
When you click on Classifieds it will bring up the categories page. If you will look to the left side of the page you will see " Place a new ad ". Click that and it will walk you through the process very easily.
And the best part is, when you look at your own ad, you can change it, ad pictures or delete it with the options in the colored header are. Or you can go to " My Classifieds " on the left hand side.
Won't take long once you do your first one.
Good Luck,
Brad

August 18, 2010 08:48 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Mounting a DSLR to a dovetail ?????

Posted By Brad Geisler

Just starting to use the DSLR for long exposures. Have used it on a tripod as well as thru an 80mm refractor. I would like tracking while using the DSLR with it's lenses for milky way sections etc. Looking for ways to attach the DSLR directly to a dovetail bar for tracking on a CGEM unguided. Does anyone have ideas or thoughts ? Maybe a threeway tripod head mounted directly to a dovetail or is there something already made and on the market I have not seen yet. I don't have any rings to piggyback mount on and I only want a few specific shots. Any thoughts would be appreciated. What have you done ?
Brad

August 20, 2010 12:00 AM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Things to see in England ??

Posted By Brad Geisler

Turns out we are headed to England for two weeks. Is there anything of astronomical interest I should visit ?
Thanks for any suggestions,
Brad

January 19, 2011 02:43 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Re: Vindication for running a tight ship

Posted By Brad Geisler

Good point, Thank You Herb !!!!
I have never understood why the other site seems to want everyone to hide their identity behind avitar's and monickers. Probably why I have never done a transaction with their classifieds.
Brad

August 9, 2011 05:14 PM Forum: Mounts

Re: CGEM DX

Posted By Brad Geisler

Mike,
Now that you are one of the chosen few, by all means try to work with the dealer you purchased from. Keep them in the loop. They may suggest you contact tech support. When I had problems, I kept the dealer well aware of the situation and that is probably why they took care of me when warranty work went askew. I am sure that is not the norm.
You purchased a brand new mount from the dealer, it is neither your fault or theirs it failed during first light. Suggest they replace it with another, they will have much more clout with the factory, I presume.
If you have to send it in for factory service, request a prepaid UPS shipping label through the tech support email system.. The warranty states you have to cover shipping to and from the factory, but I hear they will bend for a DOA occurence. I paid to ship to them, but they prepaid it back to me, saying they always pay to ship back on warranty work.
Hang in there, it will get resolved and you eventually should be quite happy with your DX's performance.
Don't be alarmed by all my comments above, hopefully they are reading this as well.

Please keep us advised as to what happens for you.

Brad

November 10, 2011 04:58 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Support by Paypal

Posted By Brad Geisler

I believe I can support by Paypal, but I can not find the link.
Brad