Posts Made By: George Blahun

March 9, 2014 06:37 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

The More Things Change...

Posted By George Blahun

Dave, that is pretty funny, but what is even more humorous is the link below. Somehow that old EMF theory has now morphed into an anti CO2 explanation for climate change. Check it out.

George

http://globalmicrowave.org

March 9, 2014 09:49 PM Forum: Mounts

Losmandy G-11 Equatorial Mount w/ Gemini 2 GoTo Sy

Posted By George Blahun

Chris:
I only have a Gemini 1 with G-11, the other mounts I have used are not on your list. I am aware of a couple friends who use CGEMS. I have had very good success with the G11. I did change out the gearboxes and upgraded the worm gear, but that was done optionally and not by necessity. I have used a C14 and a TEC 140 on the G11 without issue. A nearby lightning strike did require me to replace an IC on the circuit board, but that was a rare occurrence. The CGEM is a decent unit, but in the one I see most often, it does require a little more attention to alignment than I am used to with the Losmandy. I doubt you'll go wrong with any of the mounts you mentioned, but I have really no complaints about my G11.

George

March 21, 2014 09:37 PM Forum: Politics

Obama's foreign policy...

Posted By George Blahun

After reading all the comments I was going to ask what you (anyone here really) would do instead, but then realized this was just a right wing bitch-fest with a little humor (some of it actually pretty funny) thrown in. I'm surprised no one has blamed the disappearance of the Malaysian jet on Obama, but maybe that's coming?

George

March 24, 2014 10:35 PM Forum: Politics

Palin endorses Hillary

Posted By George Blahun

Patrick said: Sorta...one dummy endorses another?

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/03/24/Sarah-Palin-Encourages-Hillary-To-Run-in-2016

A couple of points:
1. Palin didn't endorse Hilary, she just said more women should run for high political positions.
2. You may not agree with Hilary's politics, but a dummy she is not.

March 31, 2014 10:58 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

How could this BE??

Posted By George Blahun

Herb:
I'm glad you asked. The author, Joseph Bast, is the co founder of the Heartland Institute and is not a scientist. In fact, although he studied economics as an undergraduate, there is no evidence he ever graduated with a degree. In this OP ED piece he has not provided any documentation, only opinion. He is also notorious for having written another Op Ed piece which took the position that Joe Camel was not a figure aimed at enticing children to engage in smoking.
There might be some reasonable and qualified scientists out there who can present arguments against AGW, but Joe Bast isn't one of them.

George

April 23, 2014 09:25 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Are you sitting down? You are going to like this!!

Posted By George Blahun

Maxwell Palau said:

Hello everyone!

You are in for a real treat!

I've spent the better part of a day then an additional 11 hours manually stabilizing each frame putting this together.

Here is the story.

On the night of the "Blood Moon" Lunar Eclipse I headed out to a remote dark sky site in Tierra Del Sol, CA. I arrived at about 9:00pm. I then proceeded to set my telescope up and began immediately imaging the moon almost exactly at 10:00pm.

All in all, I spent 5 hours imaging the Moon and the eclipse, capturing 1032 images! It really was one of the most beautiful events I have ever witnessed.

I compiled all the data and turned it into a high resolution time lapse video.

I am happy to present it here to you all!

Share this with your friends and family. It is a video that everyone will enjoy watching!

Click the link below to view it.

http://youtu.be/PkLizr7YQaU

Very cool! Nice job, thanks for posting this.

George

May 2, 2014 02:32 PM Forum: My Favorite WIMP.COM or YOUTUBE.COM

Sam - missed by me

Posted By George Blahun

Herb York said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_VURr6jnWQ

Priceless! I miss him too. I remember seeing that broadcast when it aired.
GB

July 10, 2014 09:45 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

$400/$500 eyepiece challenge for 12" Dob

Posted By George Blahun

Dan:
Welcome to AM and congratulations on your new scope. Firstly, save yourself some money and instead of buying new, look at the eyepiece section in the auctions and classifieds here on AM. If you deal with people who have a good history of satisfied buyers you'll do fine. A 35mm Televue Panoptic and a 2X Powermate should give you a nice low and mid range, but it wouldn't leave much $ for a high power EP. Any of the 10mm selections from the Televue, Pentax, etc. would be good and to keep costs down you could make it a Plossl.
BTW, I went to FDU in Madison and used to sell my plasma for extra spending money to a lab in West Orange. As if I had any to spare, I played Lacrosse at FDU 1970 to 72.

George

July 10, 2014 10:00 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

New Toys!

Posted By George Blahun

Very nice! It must be Texas Tech, I don't know of many liberal arts schools which would have that quality for an optical array.

George

July 15, 2014 06:23 PM Forum: Celestron

C14 Does not Focus

Posted By George Blahun

Mike, make certain the mirror is not locked, as it should have been for shipping. A C14 should focus anything you're likely to put in it. Don't try to force the focuser without making certain the lock is released.

George