My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: George Blahun

January 13, 2010 12:37 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

2nd Generation Binocular Mount

Posted By George Blahun

A few years ago I made a parallelogram mount for my 10x70 Fujinon Binocular. Now that I have a new to me APM 100mm binocular I decided on a more robust mount using aluminum stock I obtained from flea markets here in CT. I don't know what the maximum weight it will carry is, but it was a lot less expensive than any of the commercial units. The only tools used were a cheap Chinese drill press and a hand hacksaw. A few small hand bandages later, I have a decent mount. smile

July 3, 2010 04:14 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

The Most Patriotic Bird

Posted By George Blahun

I have always sided with Benjamin Franklin in suggesting the Turkey as the most patriotic of birds. This is a shot I took recently with my Nikon D80 from my backyard on the west bank of the Thames River in SE CT.

January 13, 2012 09:52 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Member since...

Posted By George Blahun

I've been a member of Astromart since sometime in 2004 +/-, but I have always wondered why the "member since" line on my profile has always been blank? Anyone else have that as well?

George

April 17, 2012 07:42 PM Forum: No Holds Barred

Ted Nugent: Hyperbole or Sinister Nut Case

Posted By George Blahun

OK, so Ted plays a mean guitar. I think he has the right to say what he wants, but when you say the wacky, violent nonsense he did, he deserves to be questioned by the Secret Service.

May 2, 2012 02:47 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

The way we think of bacteria...

Posted By George Blahun

will never be the same.

http://www.ted.com/talks/bonnie_bassler_on_how_bacteria_communicate.html

June 8, 2012 05:49 AM Forum: Politics

Worst Rated Living President...

Posted By George Blahun

Here's a new and interesting CNN Poll. No surprise here, but I'll bet some of you disagree.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/george-w-bush-favorable-rating-lowest-living-president-100010623.html

July 16, 2012 04:32 PM Forum: Politics

Retroactive Retirement

Posted By George Blahun

C'mon, even you Romney supporters must have chuckled a little when you heard Gilespie say Romney had "retired retroactively" from Bain. What a hoot! Tricky Mit, he's not a crook.

George grin grin grin grin grin

August 14, 2012 10:39 AM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

I know what the skeptics will say, but for the rest...

Posted By George Blahun

For those of you who actually care about the condition of this planet, here is a story from The Day, my local newspaper here in SE CT. When the plants were first built no one thought the water temps in LI Sound would ever hit 75.

George

Warm water in Sound causes Millstone unit to shut down
By Judy Benson

Publication: theday.com

Published 08/13/2012 12:00 AMUpdated 08/13/2012 11:54 PM

Waterford — For the first time, record-breaking water temperatures in Long Island Sound have forced the shutdown of the Unit 2 nuclear reactor at the Millstone Power Station.
It appears to be the only nuclear power plant in the nation forced to shut down this summer due to high water temperatures, said Neil Sheehan, spokesman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
This is the first time Unit 2 has been shut due to high water temperature since it began operations in 1975, according to Ken Holt, spokesman for Millstone owner Dominion.
The Unit 2 nuclear reactor at the Millstone Power Station will remain shut until the company is confident that the temperature of the water drawn into the plant from Long Island Sound will remain below 75 degrees, Holt said.
"We don't want to restart it and then have to shut it down again if the temperature spikes back up," he said.
The unit, the smaller of the two operating plants at the power station, was shut down on Sunday afternoon after the temperature of water from Long Island Sound used to cool the plant exceeded limits set by the plant's license.
Millstone was among plants that received emergency license amendments this summer related to the temperature of cooling water. Last week, Millstone received permission from the NRC to take an average of three temperature measurements for the water at the intake pipes for Unit 2, rather than using the single highest measure.
The plant's license states that it must be shut down when the water temperature is 75 degrees or higher over a 24-hour period. The water is used to cool instruments in the nuclear reactor building and the emergency diesel generators. Water that is too warm does not sufficiently cool the plant to keep it within the margin of safety.
Water temperatures in Long Island Sound this summer are the warmest on record. Nationwide, July air temperatures have been the hottest on record since record-keeping began in 1895, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and are expected to continue to remain high through August.
Unit 2 produces 880 megawatts of electricity. Unit 3, which has water intake pipes that draw from a deeper, colder part of the Sound, is still at 100 percent capacity, producing 1,200 megawatts of electricity, Holt said.
Holt said federal, state and local officials have been notified of the shutdown, as well as ISO New England, the organization that oversees the regional power and transmission system.
Despite the Millstone shutdown, there has been sufficient capacity in the system both Sunday and Monday to meet normal power demands, Marcia Blomberg, ISO spokeswoman, said. The system had 2,600 megawatts of excess capacity on Monday, she added.
"We operate the system with a margin of reserve to allow for unplanned outages," she said.
Millstone crews are monitoring the water temperature to determine when it will be safe to restart the plant, which would take a couple of days. Holt said the company will wait unit it can be confident that the temperature will remain below 75 degrees.
He declined to discuss the financial implications of the shutdown on Dominion.
Sheehan said "it remains to be seen" whether the NRC will consider the issue of warming water temperatures and the long-term implications for nuclear power plants.
"We're always on the lookout for issues that may need further review for their generic implications," he said.

October 2, 2012 07:30 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Animals are conscious, sentient beings.

Posted By George Blahun

This is no surprise to me, having been a vegetarian for 36 years and a former zoo keeper, but I'll bet the Texas Cattlemen's Association (the group that sued Oprah for saying red meat was unhealthy) would disagree.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Animals are conscious and should be treated as such
October 1, 2012

Are animals conscious? Yes, says the Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness, publicly proclaimed by three eminent neuroscientists, David Edelman of the Neurosciences Institute in La Jolla, California, Philip Low of Stanford University and Christof Koch of the California Institute of Technology, Marc Bekoff writes in New Scientist.

“Non-human animals have the neuroanatomical, neurochemical, and neurophysiological substrates of conscious states along with the capacity to exhibit intentional behaviors,” the declaration says.

“Consequently, the weight of evidence indicates that humans are not unique in possessing the neurological substrates that generate consciousness. Non-human animals, including all mammals and birds, and many other creatures, including octopuses, also possess these neurological substrates.”

“I hope the declaration will be used to protect animals from being treated abusively and inhumanely,” says Bekoff. ”All too often, sound scientific knowledge about animal cognition, emotions and consciousness is not recognized in animal welfare laws.”

However, the European Union’s Treaty of Lisbon, which came into force on December 1, 2009, recognizes that animals are sentient beings and calls on member states to “pay full regard to the welfare requirements of animals” in agriculture, fisheries, transport, research and development and space policies.”

October 22, 2012 08:24 PM Forum: Politics

Who kidnapped Romney?

Posted By George Blahun

Hey, who was that guy debating Obama tonight? I know it looked like Mit, but it didn't sound like him. Geez, anyone who agrees that much with Obama should vote for him. There is only one explanation, someone kidnapped the Mitster.