Posts Made By: George Blahun

July 30, 2015 06:26 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Six planets

Posted By George Blahun

Mars and Uranus are spectacular, amongst the best I've seen.

August 30, 2015 08:15 PM Forum: Reflectors

Dobson 8" or 10" ?

Posted By George Blahun

If all other aspects of the scopes were equal, I'd go with the 10 inch. However, Orion makes many different models and the 8 and 10 inch scopes may have different focal ratios. The faster the scope the more critical the quality of the mirror is. 2 inches may not seem like a lot, but in light gathering and resolution it's pretty substantial. I have looked through several Orion scopes of 8 to 12 inches in aperture and they were all pretty good. Orion is decent about returns, so if you aren't happy with your scope you can probably ship it back for an exchange.

December 9, 2015 09:46 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Give it a try please

Posted By George Blahun

Memories of summer.

December 12, 2015 04:51 AM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Man On The Moon

Posted By George Blahun

It gets my vote for best XMAS ad for 2015. Thanks.

January 7, 2016 09:29 PM Forum: Meteorites & Meteors

Fireball seen in Canton, MA

Posted By George Blahun

Too bad it was heading in that direction. Likely over the Atlantic. I'm SW of you, they never seem to head this way.

February 17, 2016 10:14 PM Forum: Politics

OK, local Democrats

Posted By George Blahun

Jim Brown said:

Who are the local US citizen A-Mart Democrats now a days, at least the ones willing to post? Rod, Jim M., anyone else... Lurkers? Jim

Jim:
I haven't checked in here in months, but couldn't resist a quick response. I'm supporting Bernie. I've had his bumper sticker on my car since last spring and I've been sending him monthly donations. I'll still vote for Hillary over any of the GOP candidates, but it won't be with a smile.

George

PS: I may not be able to check in to catch the flames for a day or so, but will eventually.

February 21, 2016 04:35 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

"Music" On The Far Side...

Posted By George Blahun

My first guess is rf interference between the LEM and Command Module. I'd sure like to hear it though.

June 4, 2016 03:59 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Messier 98

Posted By George Blahun

Really beautiful image of a not so common target. Maybe I'm an exception, probably due to my initial exposure to astrophotography in the 1950s and 60s, but I prefer the "uncolored" product. When my parents gave me a book "The Observer's Book of Astronomy" by Patrick Moore in 1962, I spent countless hours viewing and contemplating those imagination stimulating, black and white photos of DSOs. Your photos evoke the same wonder for me.

September 27, 2016 01:04 AM Forum: Politics

Donald Trump skipping debate prep?

Posted By George Blahun

I wonder if he remembers what the Nuclear Triad is? It's been quite a few months since he learned it.

March 5, 2017 11:53 PM Forum: After Dark

searching for a meade lx 200 motherboard

Posted By George Blahun

George:
I can't help with a new board, but if you're handy with soldering, you could open the case and replace the tantalum capacitors in the power sections. They are infamous for going bad and I repaired two mounts with the same problem. If you do so, use 35 to 50 volt caps in place of the ones you removed. Also check if there are any fuses inside which may have burned out.

George