My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: George Blahun

July 29, 2010 05:44 AM Forum: Polls

Favre watch

Posted By George Blahun

I'm not one who has ever criticized the topic of a poll. But about that last poll, it seems it was called in the 5th inning after a rain delay? smile

George

August 17, 2010 03:14 PM Forum: Polls

I agree with Mr Obama

Posted By George Blahun

I vote in about 90% of these little polls and every once in awhile I don't because I get hung up on a semantic issue. I think it's OK if they want to put a Mosque near ground zero, but because I think ALL organized religions are nonsense I can't vote for "should". BTW, the Mosque in question is not at ground zero, but two blocks away. So, how far away is far enough? There has been another Mosque about 5 blocks away for 40 years. Unless you are in favor of rewriting the constitution then the government should have no say in what gets built there based solely on religion.

August 18, 2010 04:17 PM Forum: Polls

I am a

Posted By George Blahun

Luca, you are right. For the second consecutive poll I can't vote. I don't know about you, but I have nearly as many disagreements with atheists as I do with the devoutly religious.
Even Madalyn Murray O'hare was annoyed at us for "being on the fence". I never bought her argument for that, but really enjoyed her enthusiasm and fearless dedication.

August 25, 2010 06:55 PM Forum: Polls

SETI

Posted By George Blahun

As one who has always talked to strangers, I think it's better for us to find out first there are other beings out there. We can then seriously prepare for what would, without doubt, be an event with world changing implications. If others are out there, they will likely find us before we find them. Perhaps that has already happened, but we should be prepared for anything. Some of those strangers I have talked to were amongst the nicest people I have ever met, on the other hand some of those people weren't.

George

September 3, 2010 11:06 AM Forum: Polls

I ....

Posted By George Blahun

Or it could be a long term chronic problem after having voted for Bush.
Just kidding of course! grin

September 16, 2010 02:58 PM Forum: Polls

Death Penalty should be ....

Posted By George Blahun

The fear of the rope served us well? How many innocent people were executed in those years? Why is it that so many death penalty proponents complain about the government controlling peoples lives and then turn around and say "OK you incompetent bureaucrats, go ahead and start killing people" ?
BTW, I live in CT. In the last few years here several people have been released from prison after serving many years for crimes they didn't commit. Jail is no picnic and it costs less to house criminals than it does to execute them. If the state kills an inmate the most they can do if the accused is later found to be innocent is add something on the tombstone, "Sorry, we messed up". You'd probably feel differently about the death penalty if you were wrongly convicted of a capital crime because you couldn't afford OJ's legal team.

September 18, 2010 05:46 AM Forum: Polls

I prefer this telescope design

Posted By George Blahun

After all the political surveys, it nice (occasionally) to see how much we as a group share in common. I use a C14 out of practicality, but I'd really like a 14 inch refractor.

September 20, 2010 04:03 PM Forum: Polls

My next computer is going to be --

Posted By George Blahun

I have to use a PC for work since the software is not Mac compatible. When I protested this situation I was reminded I could partition my hard drive and run Windows on my Mac. I refused to do so, because I don't want to contaminate an excellent computer and operating system with Windows. So I'll just pay the price, literally, and have two (well, ok 4) machines. I have used computers since my Commodore 64, and honestly nothing beats a MAC for performance and reliability.

September 23, 2010 01:25 PM Forum: Polls

Ship mine ...

Posted By George Blahun

Of course I do send things USPS, UPS and Fedex. If I offer something for sale on Astromart or am buying something within 200 miles, I try to pick it up in person. Most of the time the shipping companies do ok, but I do better delivering or picking stuff up in person. I've never damaged anything transporting it, but I can't say the same for any of the other choices. Also, the added benefit to going in person is meeting the people on the other end. It has always been a pleasurable experience and now I have an image in my mind whenever I see them on line. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this ordination of choices.

November 17, 2010 01:21 PM Forum: Polls

Astromart

Posted By George Blahun

I don't think the new delay is much of an incentive. Personally I wouldn't mind paying a yearly fee, but a lot of people would object. I think it's similar to most of the clubs I have belonged to. There is a core group who does all the work, a group who sits quietly doing and saying nothing, and the rest do nothing but bitch like little girls.