New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: George Blahun

December 6, 2011 10:11 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

3 hours off new classifieds listings

Posted By George Blahun

Dave,
I believe your issue is due to the policy of delaying ads for non-supporters of Astromart. To see the ads as soon as they are placed you'll have to go to the support page and sign up for one of the levels.
George

December 8, 2011 09:02 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

image inverter

Posted By George Blahun

You could use it with an Amici prism instead of a mirror diagonal or use it with no diagonal if the viewing angle is comfortable.

George

December 12, 2011 04:43 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

The Predator Drone in Iran

Posted By George Blahun

I heard today, Iran said they had taken the thing apart and discovered all of our secret technology and would begin building their own fleet of drones. What this means to me is, they took it apart, had their best guys take a look at it, and they still don't have a clue as to how it works.

George

December 12, 2011 06:16 PM Forum: No Holds Barred

Fanasy Politics...

Posted By George Blahun

Great idea Tony, here are my choices.
George

President - Ralph Nader
Vice President - Keith Olberman
President Pro Tempore - Ed Schultz
Senate Majority Leader - Rachel Maddow
Senate Minority Leader - none, no republicans in Senate
Senate Minority Whip - none, same as above
Speaker of the House - Chris Mathews
House Majority Leader - Phil Donahue
House Majority Whip - Alec Baldwin
House Minority Leader - none, no republicans in house either
House Minority Whip - none, same as above

Supreme Court Justices (9 total) Hillary Clinton, Kimba Wood, Lawrence O'donnell, Bill Clinton, Al Sharpton, Chris Dodd, Alan Grayson, Ron Paul (just to be fair), Me.

December 15, 2011 03:54 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

BLACK HOLES

Posted By George Blahun

Ron, as I understand the process, the black holes at the center of galaxies contain masses of from a hundred thousand solar masses to over a billion. Unlike the puny ones in the arms of galaxies, which are several to hundreds of solar masses. There isn't any definitive position concerning which came first, the galaxy or the black hole, or whether they evolved together. When you throw the unknown of dark matter into the process, I think it's anyones guess how this all started. I think your view, they are the beginning of galactic formation, seems like a reasonable one to me.

December 16, 2011 08:12 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Iran "Spoofed" Drone GPS

Posted By George Blahun

If this weakness actually exists, don't commercial airliners use the same GPS technique when landing?

George

December 16, 2011 02:22 PM Forum: Politics

Did Ron Paul cut his own throat?

Posted By George Blahun

As a die hard liberal, there's nothing I enjoy more than watching these republicans slash each other to shreds. I feel a little like Bill Clinton would have felt sitting in a front row seat, watching Monica Lewinsky and Linda Tripp in a mud wrestling match. grin

December 18, 2011 10:19 AM Forum: Politics

Osama's goal was to bankrupt US

Posted By George Blahun

Mark

I'm giving serious thought to including the title of your post as an example, under the Wikipedia definition of "Hyperbole".

George

December 22, 2011 08:06 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

The Sphere

Posted By George Blahun

I'll bet those "nipples" on each side are captured by cups with bearings and the sphere rotates along the line (vertical in photo) around it's circumference. It was probably dropped or fell from an aircraft. I'll bet someone will recognize it eventually. My best guess is it held/guided a weapon, maybe a missile.

George

December 23, 2011 01:11 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

The Sphere

Posted By George Blahun

I've been researching this and am now wondering if it's a SOFAR sphere. Intended to be dropped by pilots into the water, sink to 1km and implode, sending a signal in the underwater sound channel.

George