My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: George Blahun

January 1, 2012 06:42 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Edmund Scientific 12 1/2" F6 Mirror

Posted By George Blahun

John, you could build a quick and cheap test stand and do a star test on it (real or artificial). You could also get a ronchi grating and see right away if it's a sphere or parabola. Since you are apparently not far from Stellafane, you could just run it up there to test. BTW, nice score!
George

January 5, 2012 04:52 PM Forum: No Holds Barred

How does one tell if the painting was crapped on

Posted By George Blahun

Sweet looking girl, she should change her name from Tisch to Tush.

January 11, 2012 09:00 AM Forum: Eyepieces

eyepieces for C-14

Posted By George Blahun

Mark, when I had my C14 I had great views with 24mm Panoptics and 26mm Nagler T5.

George

January 11, 2012 04:48 PM Forum: No Holds Barred

January 15, 2012 10:42 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

C14 binoscope project

Posted By George Blahun

Peter:
Hello, it's been awhile since we last spoke. It's nice to see you are still experimenting! When I had my C14, the thought of a Bino occurred to me also, but once I began thinking about how to do this and not breaking the bank I decided my binoviewers would be adequate. My plan was to take a tube (I have a second empty tube for experimenting) to a machine shop and shorten it and the baffle tube. I never settled on a cut, but 5 or 6 inches was what I was looking at. BTW, if you want the spare C14 tube I have, it's yours for the taking, but you'll probably have to drive near here to get it, although I am planning a day trip to NJ in the next couple of months. Good luck and keep us posted on your results.

George

January 21, 2012 07:57 PM Forum: Politics

Newtists Prevail in SC

Posted By George Blahun

Not that I'd ever vote for Newt anyhow, but he is the most unhealthy (overweight, out of shape) of all the GOP candidates. Even Ron Paul at his advanced age would hold up better to the stress of being president.

January 22, 2012 09:33 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

reposting an item

Posted By George Blahun

Paolo, whenever this has happened to me, I open a new ad placement form and then copy and paste the original ad. I'm pretty sure the only way to add the photos is to reload them.

George

January 23, 2012 03:43 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Norman W. Edmund R.I.P.

Posted By George Blahun

That's really sad news. I lost count of the number of parts I ordered from Edmund for science projects in the 1960s. Some of my older friends would covet a Playboy, for me a Playboy was third on my list after an Edmund or Heathkit Catalog. One thing I never bought, which I still would like to have, is a Spilhaus Clock. People like Mr. Edmund are the unsung heroes of the scientific superiority enjoyed by the US.

January 26, 2012 06:14 PM Forum: Politics

Is it oil or acrylic

Posted By George Blahun

Actually it's baloney. Destined to go down with other great works like Elvis on black velvet or dogs playing poker.

January 26, 2012 08:13 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

I need a mount!

Posted By George Blahun

LXD75 or Ioptron. You'll probably have to look for them used, but I've used both and they provide acceptable performance.