My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Bruce N Nyquist

April 10, 2002 01:53 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Bearings for an Edcorp Mount

Posted By Bruce N Nyquist

I am rebuilding the mount for my 6" f8 Edmund. It has 1" shafts and at a couple of points there are nylon bearings. Any ideas on where to get them?? Or how to fabricate them?

Thanks

April 10, 2002 08:43 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Upcharging for Paypal..... Legal??

Herb,

I see the number of sellers charging an extra percentage to use Paypal, etc.

I am in business and was told this is not legal in mystate and others. I know Ebay will close your ad down if you do.

Sellers can price accordingly and offer a 2% cash discount (strange I know) and this is OK on ebay. Or, simply do not take Paypal or other credit cards.

Thanks

April 10, 2002 08:50 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mirror re-coating

I am ready to have one of my scopes optics recoated. I have never done it before and would appreciate answers to the following:

Is the enhanced coating 96+% reflective) worth the extra money??

Who does the best job for the least money??

Do any recoaters do it for less if you submit more than on mirror??

Any other advise is appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Bruce

April 13, 2002 08:58 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Primary and Secondary mounting

Being a "newbie" your advise is appreciated.

I have done some online research and have gotten suggestiions on eliminating the retention clips on the primary mirrors on smaller scopes (up to 10") and relying on 3 spots of RTV adhesive and sealant to hold the mirror to the cell. It was also suggested to remove the secondary if it is hard epoxied to the hold and RTV it as well. It was explained that this will reduce astigmatism greatly. I have done this to 2 of my 6" scopes and am getting great views.

Love to hear your comments about this proceedure.

Thanks so much.

Bruce

April 13, 2002 09:00 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Inexpensive scope Covers

I have found the the new "disposable" bowl covers by Glad are fantastic scope covers!!! The mediums fit nicely on 6" and 8" and small fits 3" and 4" well.

Give it a try....

Dark Skies

Bruce

April 21, 2002 04:25 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Primary and Secondary mirror mounting

I have done some online research and have gotten suggestiions on eliminating the retention clips on the primary mirrors on smaller scopes (up to 10") and relying on 3 spots of RTV adhesive and sealant to hold the mirror to the cell. It was also suggested to remove the secondary if it is hard epoxied to the hold and RTV it as well. It was explained that this will reduce astigmatism greatly. I have done this to 2 of my 6" scopes and am getting great views.

Love to hear your comments about this proceedure.

Thanks so much.

April 23, 2002 01:02 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Curved Vane Spider in S&T

I was looking at another forum and someone mentioned there is a recent article on curved vane spider that was easy to replicate. Can anyone forward a copy??

What is the advantage of a curved vane??

Thanks

Bruce

April 23, 2002 05:36 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Glass Mounted Secondary on Newts

Why aren't there Newts with glass mounted secondarys like SCT's??? Wouldn't this eliminate the diffraction spikes??

Thanks from the Newbie

Bruce

April 24, 2002 09:23 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Baffles for Newt

I just sent my primary and secondary from my White Edmund 6 inch f8 to Specrum for recoating.

While they are away I am going to coat the interior with the walnut shell treatment and paint flat black.

With this do baffles add any more contrast?? If so how do you fabricate them and what material??

Thanks

Bruce

April 27, 2002 03:52 PM Forum: Star Parties

Nebraska Star Party

I have never been to a star party.

The Nebraska event is closest to me (490 miles) and would love to hear some first hand impressions of the event. Please comment on camping, activities, food, etc.

Dark Skies,

Bruce