Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Frank Ryan

February 15, 2022 05:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Rigel Quikfinder v Telrad

Posted By Frank Ryan

Hey all.
Hope it's ok to share here! 🙂
I've used various types of view finders over the years on different model scopes. Each with their own pros and cons. I have found though that switching to a Telrad has made the process of alignment a lot easier. On larger scopes I have the extra bulk and weight is not a big issue but on smaller scopes where every ounce may count then a smaller / lighter alternative is good to have!

Having bought one I decided to make a Rigel Quikfinder comparison / review so I hope this is someway helpful if you're thinking about changing your viewfinder.

Clear skies!
Frank

February 15, 2022 05:11 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Posted By Frank Ryan

Hey all.
Hope it's ok to share here! 🙂
I've used various types of view finders over the years on different model scopes. Each with their own pros and cons. I have found though that switching to a Telrad has made the process of alignment a lot easier. On larger scopes I have the extra bulk and weight is not a big issue but on smaller scopes where every ounce may count then a smaller / lighter alternative is good to have!

Having bought one I decided to make a Rigel Quikfinder comparison / review so I hope this is someway helpful if you're thinking about changing your viewfinder.

Clear skies!
Frank

February 21, 2022 11:25 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Posted By Frank Ryan

Thanks Fred!
It's a good thing you pointed this out (excuse the pun) as it's defiantly something to be aware of.

February 28, 2022 01:44 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

How to collimate a with a laser collimator (Dobsonian)

Posted By Frank Ryan

When I was starting out, I thought collimation was this really super-complex thing. Then when one of our astronomy club members showed me physically with their scope how to do it, I was surprised at just how simple it was!

So I made a video as a basic guide for laser collimating a reflector,
(in this case a 16'' GSO Dobsonian with a Kendrick laser collimator).

Obviously there's a lot involved in collimating and this video is not attempting to cover all those facets. It's intended as a quick explanation of the principle. I found that seeing the basics explained in simple terms without complication was key for me to then use that as a base to learn more.

For beginners, there's a fine line between giving enough info to do the process correctly versus information overload.

Once you get the basics down, it becomes clear over time the different areas that affect the outcome such as mirror springs, focuser slop, mirror quality, laser misalignment... the list goes on, they all certainly need to be understood but only by getting started and doing can you really learn.