My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John Meiners

June 25, 2003 01:59 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Newbie Question?

Posted By John Meiners

My Celestron C8 just arrived, have been thinking about trying my hand at CCD Imag. What is a good Camera to start out with? any suggestions will be appreciated. John M

June 25, 2003 05:43 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Best filter for Mars..

Posted By John Meiners

Our Star party will coincide with Mars' visit this Aug. 5K' elev. in Central Dark Oregon.. I will have my new C8 up and running with an array of EP's. My question to some of you seasoned Veterans is; what is the odds on choice when selecting a filter? Would like to accentuate the regions and bring out some dimension.. any suggestions will be appreciated.. I will probably bring several, and see what works best.. thank you, John M

June 26, 2003 04:48 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Report on TEC 140 ?

Posted By John Meiners

Seems like these are selling like hotcakes according to advertizers.. Has anyone got to do their own review? would be interested in your impressions.. Former owner of a TV 102. John M

June 26, 2003 06:05 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mars filter?

Posted By John Meiners

Wondering what type/color filter would aid in contrast when viewing, JM

June 30, 2003 04:31 AM Forum: Celestron

Highest Power X for C-8

Posted By John Meiners

Just wondering what the highest practical X is for visual observing. The Rule of apeture per inch is ; 60x per inch of APT. That would be 480x Does this seem about right to most of you C8 fans? A 5mm. EP would be about the highest EP to use at 406x a 5mm. Radian/Ortho would push to 508x Thinking about high power EP's for Mars in Aug. Also Powermates or Barlowing maybe. This of course is for Planets & or Lunar viewing. For DSO's like M-13 I am most comfortable in the 30mm. range, 68X . BTW I finally got my new C8 collimated, now the images are more like what my 102 refractor resolves..(Almost) John M

June 30, 2003 05:40 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Filter Question?

Posted By John Meiners

Where I live there is moderate amount of light pollution,(scattered or defracted light) from City NE of me. What is the best filter element to use to counteract these stray PHOTONS! thanks for your suggestions, John M

July 7, 2003 06:39 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Mer. Trans. ??

Posted By John Meiners

Could one of you learned Gentlemen give me a site that has the dates & times I can observe Mercury as it passes in front of the Sun? I know it make a year's trip in around 88 days, but how many of those trips on this side can we be treated to it's appearance? Thank you, (Getting an Solar filter for my C-8. JOHN M. Astoria, OR.

July 14, 2003 06:26 AM Forum: Religion

Guess this falls under Philosophy;

Posted By John Meiners

Thought I would share a few of Will Rogers Quotes with you

THERE ARE 2 THEORIES TO ARGUING WITH A WOMAN..NEITHER WORKS

ALWAYS DRINK UPSTREAM FROM THE HERD.

IF YOU FIND YOURSELF IN A HOLE, STOP DIGGING.

THE QUICKEST WAY TO DOUBLE YOUR MONEY IS TO FOLD IT AND PUT IT BACK IN YOUR POCKET.

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE, AND A LOT OF THAT COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

IF YOU'RE RIDING AHEAD OF THE HERD, TAKE A LOOK BACK EVERY NOW AND THEN TO MAKE SURE IT'S STILL THERE.

LETTIN' THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG IS A WHOLE LOT EASIER'N PUTTIN' BACK IN.

THE OLDER WE GET, THE FEWER THINGS SEEM WORTH WAITING IN LINE FOR.

*AND FINALLY : AFTER EATING AN ENTIRE BULL, A MOUNTAIN LION FELT SO GOOD HE STARTED ROARING, HE KEPT IT UP UNTIL A NEARBY HUNTER CAME ALONG AND SHOT HIM.... THE MORAL:
WHEN YOU'RE FULL OF BULL, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.
jm

July 14, 2003 03:46 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Saturn visits Crecent Moon

Posted By John Meiners

Looking East Saturday July 26th. about 1 hr. before Sunrise, you can see Saturn lower left of the crecent Moon.
Sunday the 27th. same time look for Saturn just above and to the right of the Moon... John M Get those cameras ready..

July 14, 2003 04:12 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Jupiter, Mercury, & Regulus

Posted By John Meiners

Looking West on Monday July 21st, about 40 minutes after Sunset (still a glow in the Sky) Jupiter, (88,000 mile wide). will appear above the Horizon, to the lower right will appear Mercury about 6 degrees away,(You may need Binos or your scope to resolve the 3000 mile wide speedster) Upper left in Leo will be Regulus, (Heart of the Lion).
Follow Mercury for the next 5 days until on Saturday the 26th. Mercury will be 1/2 degree from Jupiter ! The next few days following the two planets will change positions..it will appear to the upper left converging now on Regulus.. Although Mer. & Jup. appear close to each other ( about 1 moon width ) they are respectively: 109 million miles & 586 million miles from Earth.
*Thanks to Jack Horkheimer, Director of the Miami Space Transit Planetarium. www.jackstargazer.com
Clear skys.. John M