My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Tim Libert

January 4, 2003 07:12 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

re: restoration of optics

Posted By Tim Libert

What is a good way to remove old coatings and cement from lenses without hurting them?

January 18, 2003 04:03 AM Forum: Religion

What a sad existence..

Posted By Tim Libert

I have been reading through some of the proclaimed atheists remarks, and using their logic, I have come to a sad understanding of their lives. Using the totem pole analogy, Our God is defined by our beliefs. Our beliefs are then written/proclaimed/expressed in the bible. First John, ch. 4, vr. 7&8 state: Beloved, let us love one another. For love is of God and every one who loveth is born of God and knoweth God. He that loveth not, knows not God for God is love. Conclusion: The proclaimed atheist have chosen a path/life completely void of any real love. I feel very badly for them. Or: If they believe in/or love, then, they believe in our God.

January 18, 2003 04:32 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

What really happened at Roswell..

Posted By Tim Libert

It seems to me that the Air Force/our goverment pulled the biggest joke on us and we keep falling and falling and falling... Think about it. What ever crashed there in 47 (be it a Russian spy plane or secret test apparatus), they didn't want us to know about and needed to throw us off track. So they release the space ship story only to retract it later and then refute it later again. They led up down that beloved UFO path, knowing the appeal of the unknown, and we swallowed it hook, line & well you know the rest....

January 18, 2003 02:49 PM Forum: Religion

Reasons to believe..

Posted By Tim Libert

While many Christians are fundamentalist and come off as unbending, overbearing and/or dogmatic, so I have found many proclaimed Atheists in their opposition. Thus my conclusion that in order to fight against something so hard, they must have a belief. Mr. Gary Poliquin (for one) on the other hand has stated only that he has not been made aware of scientific proof of a supreme being or inteligence behind the cosmos. I respect this position and appreciate his non-agressive attitude. I would like to explore this position with all of you if I may. First of all lets lay down some qualifying statements. Firstly, in an earlier thread (What a sad existance) I surmised through the totem pole logic that to know love - is to know God, and vise-versa. Secondly, Gary himself stated that believing that we have a knowing understanding of the workings of the universe would be quite pompus indeed. In related thinking I stated that the early Jews within the the Hebrew Tanakh would not describe or even name God. By holding both these beliefs/concepts, I propose (as the Jews) that we can not explain/confine God to/by any understandable definiation. So now, either through logic, we define God as in our (Christian & Jewish) writings and beliefs or, scientifically, we can not define him. I happen to believe that there is alot of evidence of the existance of God and more specifically the God of the Bible. However, any evidence or scientific proof of any kind requires faith in some degree. If I read a test report in a scientific journal, my belief in such requires that I have faith in the structure of the experiement, the integrity of the persons reporting, etc., etc. Thus, any ammount of evidence can be brushed aside by someone who has no reason to believe. This works for either side. So instead of trying to prove the physical existence of God, maybe we should be looking for a spiritual existence. Look for reasons to believe..

January 19, 2003 09:52 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Opinions please

Posted By Tim Libert

My dilema, I had a stroke not too long ago and it has affected my vision somewhat. This is not fun as I love to spend entire nights observing objects trying to determine the smallest detail possible. I am considering selling/trading my conventional scopes and building/purchasing a big bino-scope. However I also have another idea. I could build a big newt. and replace the secondary with a video camera. I could then transmit the immage to a TV or computer screen. Which do you think would be better? How good is the resolution of good video comeras today? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Tim

January 19, 2003 05:11 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

UFOs?

Posted By Tim Libert

I am curious. I have spent countless hours under the night sky, observing the cosmos, as I am sure many of you have. In fact we ought to be able to have loged more time here watching the sky than practally anywhere else. Has any one ever seen anything that might suggest visitors from another world? I never have. Serious anwsers only please..

You know it's funny that people who usually claim to see them are not avaid or professional sky studiers.

January 19, 2003 10:18 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Charging PayPal Fees

Posted By Tim Libert

I am a paypal user myself so don't take this as an attack. I note several Paypal users charging the fees for the use of the service. Does anyone else realise that this is an illegle pratice? You can add the price to cover your losses, however, you can not offer the product for two different prices. Not that I really feel this will lead to any arests, I just wanted to inform you all.

January 20, 2003 11:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Creative Persons Needed #2

Posted By Tim Libert

With all the light amplication technology (night vision) available, my question is this: Can we adapt this to a telescope and increase the magnitude available? I understand that we would probably have to filter out unwanted spectrums. This should not be that hard. Any comments..This is not within my field of expertise.

January 22, 2003 12:42 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Carbon Graphite Tubing

Posted By Tim Libert

Does anyone know a source for this in the 4" dia - 6" dia range? I've been searching the web and can find smaller and larger but not this. Thanks in advance, Tim

January 24, 2003 10:16 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Barlow poll

Posted By Tim Libert

I have used several barlows over the years and I have never been completly happy with any of them. Is this just me, my equipment, or do any of you feel similar. What do you think is the best barlow? Thanks in advance, Tim