Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Juvenile Barred Owl feasts on a grasshopper

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Tim Libert

February 19, 2015 02:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Questar Telescopes

Posted By Tim Libert

Are Questar telescopes worth the money>

March 18, 2015 09:45 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Projection lens

Posted By Tim Libert

Hi All, I recently had a friend give me some lenses out of a old projection TV. Does any one have experience working with these lenses? Can they be used in any way to make a scope? I know some people used projector cells to make scopes. Just wondering...

May 1, 2015 11:14 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

SCT Reducer/Corrector question

Posted By Tim Libert

Hello, I recently purchased a used Celestron SCT 6.3 Reducer/Corrector. I have experienced a problem with it and am seeking advice. When I put it on my scope I am experiencing that my telescope becomes (quite a bit) of out of collimation. Is this common? Is this a bad corrector? And if so can it be fixed? I'm guessing viewing and/or photography will be effected. What are your thoughts?

May 4, 2015 09:37 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Brandon Questar Question

Posted By Tim Libert

Hello all eyepiece experts, I was digging through some old equipment/parts and found a Questar Brandon 30mm eyepiece. I remember having it however not a lot more about it. I viewed through it last night and WOW. What an exceptional eyepiece. Now I remember why everyone likes these so much. The question I have is about the barrel. The portion below the necked down area where it fits into your holder is very short. It measures about 7/16". is this normal? Am I missing part of it? My diagonal (brass ring type) barely grabs it. I'm not sure a single holding screw will hold it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Tim

May 8, 2015 10:31 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

Bginning Question

Posted By Tim Libert

I have done film astro-photography for years I am considering going digital. I do not know anything about cameras, image processing, software etc. Can someone direct me to a good guide or resource for information. I am sure there is unlimited information out there so I need a good basic primer that can help me decide which direction for me to take as far as comparing types of equipment (SLR or CCD) and direction that is right for me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Tim

May 15, 2015 10:19 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Hypering Film - Push Processing

Posted By Tim Libert

I apologize if this has been covered previously. I could not find a post on such. I have been away from this for about 10 years due to a severe illness. Looking to do some more of this as all my equipment is film based.

1st. Way back in the day I used to hyper film. I still have a tank. Is it even possible to get and/or have anhydrous ammonia without some kind of license, and' will you get hassled by the police if you do? Also can todays film handle the process?
2nd. Does anyone do or recommend a source for push processing?
3rd. Has this (film purchase and processing) become so expensive that it would be better to go digital?
Thanks

May 30, 2015 10:11 PM Forum: Refractors

Focuser Upgrade Orion EON

Posted By Tim Libert

Does anyone know if there is a focuser upgrade made for the Orion 120 EON scope? Thanks in advance.

January 16, 2003 12:22 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Can a Meade SCT focuser be adjusted?

Posted By Tim Libert

I once purchased a used Meade 10" with the exact same problems. After discussion with the viturally non-exisetent Meade customer service dept. and being an engineer myself, This is how I fixed it. When I dissasembled the scope I found the dates when ,apparently, Meade had two previous chances to fix the problem. They either were: one, two stupid to see the problem or; two, ignored the real problem as it was too costly to fix. Either way that's when I decided never to buy another Meade product again. But I digress, I found that the center mirror support(that rides on the baffel tube) was broken at due to a defective casting, and was machined anyway when it was obviously unusable. They could not even obtain the complete bore due to missing material, not to mention the cracks. But again I digress. Anyhow I ended up adding three mounting/colliminating screws to the mirror slider which then protruded out the back of the scope. I then attached a permanent craford style focuser on the rear cell. After this the scope performed very well. I guess I have to give it to them for the optics. You are probably looking at a similar fix. Good luck, Tim

January 18, 2003 09:52 AM Forum: Religion

What a sad existence..

Posted By Tim Libert

Wooha...looks like some of you are somewhat sensitive about your non belief. Funny! As to forcing my belief system on others, I don't remember doing that, however, If you took it that way I apologize. I was mearly using one of your own's logic to point out a trap in such. Seens logic suits you when it is conveinient...I never expected so much emotional responce from "would be philophers". As to milk & toast christians, I feel the same way you do. My self, being an engineer & scientist, and having formerly rejected church teaching (due in part to milk and toast christians) I have studied the bible along with other historical text in hebrew and greek, studied sciencitific discoveries, other religion's writings, and I have never taken any of these for face value, or on a stand-alone basis, have found many other reasions to believe. Forgive me, my intent was never to offend anyone, but, rather to use a philosophic medium to relate to you. I will keep all of you in my prayers. Tim

January 19, 2003 09:58 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Creative persons needed.....

Posted By Tim Libert

Larry, I would have to check the densities, but maybe you could float mercury on colodion while spinning it and it would set-up in form making it permenent. You would still suffer some gravity deformation though. Actually it wouldn't matter which one was on top.