My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Eddie Kirkland

September 16, 2002 12:48 PM Forum: Lost Contacts and Personal Messages

Tom McGowan, where are you?

Posted By Eddie Kirkland

Anyone have a phone number or email address for Tom McGowan, formerly of Montgomery, AL but now living in Kingman, AZ? He has a budding truss-tube telescope company called Midnightelescopes, one of which I own, and I would like to get in touch. Tom, are you out there?

Eddie Kirkland
Auburn, AL

September 5, 2003 03:19 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Older CG-5 vs. new CG-5

Posted By Eddie Kirkland

Would the new CG-5 mounts with tubular steel tripod be as steady as an older CG-5 with wooden tripod? Has the mount itself been beefed up?

Thanks,
Eddie

December 10, 2003 07:21 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Minima, division, or gap?

Posted By Eddie Kirkland

What is the difference between the Encke minima, division, or gap? Are the separate features or the same?

Eddie

December 19, 2003 09:06 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Sources for Pentax XL eyepieces

Posted By Eddie Kirkland

Anyone know of vendors who still have Pentax XL eyepieces in stock? I'm looking for a 10.5.

Thanks,
Eddie

March 12, 2004 12:10 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

CG-5 vs. GP-DX

Posted By Eddie Kirkland

How much better is the Vixen GP-DX than the older style CG-5 mounts
w/ball bearings? I have the CG-5 w/wooden tripod and while it is
stable enough for my 4" f/6.2 apo, I find the backlash with tracking
annoying. Movements and actual tracking are pretty good. Also, there
is the annoying shake of the clock drive at high power. Is the GP-DX
worth the extra 3X the cost? A GM8 is another possibility but even
more costly and heavier.

Thanks,
Eddie

June 2, 2004 09:20 AM Forum: Star Parties

Nebraska Star Party

Posted By Eddie Kirkland

I'm thinking of making a first-time trip to the Nebraska Star Party and would like to know how miserable the heat will be during the day camping? Also, are the skies as dark and incredible as advertised?

Thanks,
Eddie from Alabama

September 12, 2004 09:05 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

New version of Sky Commander DSC's?

Posted By Eddie Kirkland

A couple of days ago I spoke on the phone with a vendor who sells Sky Commander where I was about to order a unit for my dob. He stated that a new upgraded version was coming out in about a month and would be
similar to the Argo Navis and would cost maybe $20 more than the
present SC unit. He didn't have a whole lot of time to give me
details. Does anyone here have any information on this? I really
wanted to purchase one now and get it before a star party in mid-
October, but I'll wait if its better. I have tried calling Victor
but he is kind of hard to get in touch with. And with yet a third
hurricane coming his way, it looks to be longer still before I can
talk to him.

Thanks,
Eddie

November 17, 2004 12:28 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Differences in OIII filters

Posted By Eddie Kirkland

I have a Thousand Oaks OIII filter and have been very happy with it for over a year......until last week at the Chiefland Star Party where an aquaintance and I compaired my T.O. and his older Lumicon in my 16" f/4.5 dob with filter slide on the Veil Nebula. While the difference was not great, his Lumicon obviously bested my T.O.; we both agreed on that; enough that I'm thinking of replacing my T.O. While talking to a knowledgable vendor later that night he stated that he and others had tested several OIII filters and arrived at this performance order: Televue>old Lumicon>T.O>new Lumicon/Parks. Has anyone else run a similar shootout on OIII filters? What were your results? How about UHC/Ultrablock filters?

Thanks for any insights,
Eddie

November 27, 2005 03:04 PM Forum: DVDs and Music and Books That You Recommend

Fusion anyone?

Posted By Eddie Kirkland

I've been an ardent listener of classic rock since the late 60's (before it became classic). I have always liked some of the more jazzy stuff (Jeff Beck, Santana, Zappa) and absolutely fell in love with Mahavishnu Orchestra and John McLaughlin back in the early 70's. But I have just gotten high speed internet (I know, I'm a little slow) and was searching through the web radio stations when I came across a great jazz fusion station. Along with MO and McLaughlin, Zappa, and Beck, I now have some new favorites: Greg Howe, Jaco Pastorius, Gong, Isotope, Scott Henderson and Tribal Tech, and others.

So now I am buying up some fusion cds; can anyone recommend other fusion artists. I'm particularly interested in fusion guitarists.

Thanks,
Eddie Kirkland
Auburn, AL

March 14, 2006 08:27 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Intermountain Optics

Posted By Eddie Kirkland

Do others have as much trouble getting in touch with Vaughn Parsons at Intermountain Optics as I? Several emails have gone unanswered and both phone numbers I have go unanswered and their mail boxes are full. Anyone know how to get in touch with Vaughn; is he still in business?