My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Fred Rains

September 10, 2006 08:37 PM Forum: Maksutovs

The little scope that could...

Posted By Fred Rains

Ron, I just saw this post and had to say something. I love the ETX90ra. I had one when they first came out and sold it before I learned how to use it properly. I picked another one up about four years ago and have enjoyed it as much as any scope I have ever owned. Believe it or not, using the Kochab technique for polar alignment, the setting circles are fabulous. I used the ETX for the last Messier Marathon just to see what it could do and found a commendable 100 objects. Would have found a few more if the clouds had cooperated. I use the ETX 10 times as often as my Celestron G9.25 just because I can grab it and be on the back porch in two minutes. The polar alignment takes litterally two minutes and I'm off to the races. I recently showed a buddy of mine how to use the same technique with his 70's vintage Questar and he was amazed. We compare views often between the two scopes and there is a slight advantage to the Q3.5. One of these days I'll get a Questar just for the sheer mechanical beauty of the thing, but until the kids get through school, the ETX90ra will more than do the job.
Clear and dark skies to all!

God Bless!