New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jean Dorais

January 11, 2004 06:12 AM Forum: Meade

AR5 replacement focuser

Posted By Jean Dorais

Howdy,

Got my AR5 this week and must say I am pleased with the optics (after all the horror stories of bad optics). I'll be replacing the stock plastic star diagonal with a William Optics 2" diagonal (on order) and also want to replace the stock Meade focuser...any ideas? From what I can see I have to replace the entire rear assembly ( the focuser seem to be a single part at the rear..?)

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and clear skies!

Jean D
Ottawa, ON
Canada

February 28, 2004 05:02 PM Forum: Meade

replacement focuser for the AR5...

Posted By Jean Dorais

A while back I'd asked this question and received one or two answers... I am trying to stay away from Burgess Optical products and am still looking for a replacement focuser for my AR5. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jean D.

February 29, 2004 08:55 AM Forum: Meade

AR5 height adjustment...

Posted By Jean Dorais

Morning all,

I just wanted to post a quick thing about the resolution to the height issue I was having with the AR5 on it's stock Meade tripod. The problem is that I am 6'5", and even at it's heighest, the eyepiece drops to 20-odd inches off the ground when above 50 degrees( even sitting on my observing chair that's still too low). I tried pretty much everything many of you had suggested, then came upon a simple and elegant solution: I bought a pier! Duh, should have thought of that sooner. I got mine from Ken Dauzat of Ken's Rings and Things fame...good price, fast turnaround and absolutely rock steady....oh yeah he sells to those of us north of the border! ( which has proven interesting in the past).

Enclosed is a picture of my rig from a sidewalk session, Friday Feb 27th.

Clear skies!

Jean D.
Ottawa,ON
Canada

March 23, 2004 06:53 AM Forum: Meade

"new and improved" LXD55...

Posted By Jean Dorais

Howdy,

Anyone know what the differences are between the old mounts and GEM heads and the new ones? I was talking to Customer Service yesterday about my eyepiece deal, and the fellow I was talking to said that I had gotten one of the last 'old' mounts and GEM heads and that they are now shipping the new and improved ones...but couldn't tell me what the changes were.

Thanks,

Jean Dorais
Ottawa, ON
45,27'N/75 40'W

August 20, 2004 01:05 PM Forum: Meade

Autostar 32E update questions...

Posted By Jean Dorais

Hi ,

Has anyone else had weird things happen with their Autostars since upgrading to the latest version? Let me explain what I mean: I did a polar alignment, then a 2 star alignment with a reticle eyepiece. So far so good. I tried to go to Mizar in Ursa Major, and was no where near it. I slewed over to the right location, did a 'synch'. Back to Polaris, and it's dead on, even in the reticle eyepiece. Try another goto to Mizar, and it's off...waaaaay off. Tried another synch. GOTO anywhere else and I am waaaay off again. Back to Polaris and it's bang on.

I did a reset, drive train, drive calibrate, easy align, one and two star alignments and still the same thing. None of my goto's worked, and normally I am in the field of view of my 12.5mm.

Anyone else?

Thanks,

Jean D
Ottawa, ON
Canada

February 7, 2005 08:33 AM Forum: Meade

Meade Autostar and serial-USB cable...

Posted By Jean Dorais

Does anyone have any experience in getting their Autostar to work with a serial to USB cable?
My new laptop doesn't have a serial port, and Meade only has that dinky serial cable connection. Was wondering if the serial-usb cable will work and if anyone has tried it.

Thanks,

Jean D.
Ottawa, ON
Canada

February 23, 2005 09:15 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Amusement Factor

Posted By Jean Dorais

I just love reading all the posts on here. I too was promised a 1026 within a month almost 2 years ago...no scope=I canceled my order.
The entertainment value makes it worth coming back to almost everyday. I wish Bill luck, but he won't ever be getting a single red cent of mine- I've given him every opportunity to make good on his promises, but I think 2 years is long enough. I have been enjoying the heck out of my AR5 from Meade...got it the day I went in the store and purchased it- imagine that.

Clear skies,

Jean D
Ottawa, ON
Canada

March 4, 2005 08:25 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

Quality variances in PST's...

Posted By Jean Dorais

Howdy all,

Looking at getting this as a present (from me to me!)-and am reading that there seems to be a quality variance in the PST's that leave the factory...what has been your experience with your PST?
One of the fellows in the group here in Ottawa has one, and I can't get enough of the views through it. : )

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Jean Dorais
Ottawa, ON
Canada

April 12, 2005 08:38 AM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

PST foam measurements...

Posted By Jean Dorais

Morning all,

Just wondering if anyone has the packing foam measurements of the PST? I am at work and don't have them handy.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Jean D.
Ottawa, ON
Canada

April 15, 2005 02:12 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

PST images...first attempts

Posted By Jean Dorais

Coronado PST with a Meade DSI in b&w mode... single frame, no tracking.

A first attempt.

Jean D.
Ottawa, ON
Canada