My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jean Dorais

April 15, 2005 02:14 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

PST images, 2nd try

Posted By Jean Dorais

PST on surveyor tripod, Meade DSI in b&w mode.

May 9, 2005 02:26 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

PST double stack...

Posted By Jean Dorais

Howdy all,

Well I am more than pleased with my PST, but had the mis-/good- fortune to look through a PST with the SolarMax40 stacked...wowzer!Now I am hooked on the double-stacking of filters...

Anyone else running a PST double-stacked? Impressions? Suggestions? Comments?
Thanks in advance,

Jean Dorais
Ottawa, ON
Canada

June 8, 2005 07:28 PM Forum: Coronado-Lunt-DayStar Solar Filters

MY SM40 is here!!!

Posted By Jean Dorais

Howdy,

My SM40 arrived today, and of course it's completely clouded over- figures right? I will be using it to stack my PST, and lowering my PST views to something in the .6A range!
I'll post my views (and hopefully a few pics)as soon as the skies clear up.

Again, apologies to everyone in Eastern Canada and the US for the rain- it's all my fault. wink

Clear skies,

Jean Dorais
Ottawa, ON
Canada

February 12, 2004 10:02 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Burgess 1278 and Meade AR5 comparison

Posted By Jean Dorais

That's easy enough to do. I've been USING my AR5 for the last 3 months instead of waiting for a 'never-going-to-get- there' scope from BO : )

Seriously, after reading some of the comments on here about scratches, redesigns etc... I for one am very glad that I went with the Meade. It's optics are very nice, the GOTO's are bang on and did I mention: I've been USING it.

Cheers,

Jean D
Ottawa, ON
Canada

May 19, 2004 12:39 PM Forum: Meade

NEW MEADE LXD75 SERIES COMING OUT!

Posted By Jean Dorais

I think that with any new line, there are bound to be a few bugs they hadn't planned on. My LXD55 AR5 rocks and I see no reason in changing it for the new line. I don't use the tripod ( too low for me) instead I have the AR5 mounted on a 56" pier and WOW! what a difference in stability and ease-of-use. I've received my Baader filters ( FringeKiller + Moon and Skyglow) and it has corrected the false colour I saw on Jupiter and Saturn.
So, yes it will be nice to see the LXD75 line, but I see no reason to change what I have. : )

Clear skies,

Jean Dorais

May 25, 2004 11:58 AM Forum: Meade

External Battery for LX-90

Posted By Jean Dorais

Michael,

I can't speak directly to the LX-90 or that particular battery...I have an LXD55 AR5 that I power from a Canadian Tire 700A (22Ah)'jump starter' battery. I can run the scope for 3 complete evenings of observing (18:00~02:00-ish)no problem at all. In the interesting weather we sometimes get up here in Ottawa, I go down to 2 evenings, but I always wind up quitting before the battery does!

Hope this helps.

Jean Dorais,
Ottawa, ON
Canada

December 30, 2004 05:30 AM Forum: Meade

Autostar memory

Posted By Jean Dorais

Vince,
You don't need to 'dump' the memory to load the latest version. Just get the version you want and upload it. Done. smile

Clear skies,

Jean D
Ottawa, ON
Canada

December 31, 2004 05:37 AM Forum: Meade

Jan. 3rd Announcement

Posted By Jean Dorais

Ok, my take on this announcement...

1- Meade will announce that they will actually have a Customer Service Center, not a customer disservice Center! This means that 90% of their staff will actually know what the heck they are talking about (not the < 5% it now has).
1a- Quality Control will now be done.
1b- Quality Control will now be done by humans, not Chimps...
2- The Customer Service Dept. and the Hardware Returns Dept. will actually talk to one another.
3- Meade will announce that they are buying out Celestron (egads!)
4- Meade will announce that they will produce a 20" SCT on LX200 Super Mount- to counter the rumoured Celestron offering.
5- Meade will announce that they have found the lost city of Atlantis...what? It could happen!!!! smile

Thanks for reading my silliness.

Jean D.
Ottawa, ON
Canada

March 17, 2005 09:28 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Which Dob would YOU get?

Posted By Jean Dorais

Linton,

Good optics are great, but for faint fuzzies, nothing replaces aperture. If you can afford the 18" and can move it from place to place, get the 18" Starmaster. It is an amazing piece of equipment and the optics are stunning.
I've had the privilege of using one here in Ottawa a few times and if I could afford it, I wouldn't hesitate.

Clear skies,

Jean Dorais
Ottawa, ON
Canada

May 24, 2005 08:36 AM Forum: Meade

Focuser upgrade options

Posted By Jean Dorais

James,

Not sure what your price range is, but moon lite(http://www.focuser.com) focusers kick butt. I've got a crayford dual speed on order for my Meade AR5 scope. 385$ USD. Not cheap, but a great focuser.

Clear skies,
Jean D.
Ottawa, ON
Canada