Posts Made By: Mark Clegg

September 4, 2009 03:14 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Oblique viewing phenomenon?

Posted By Mark Clegg

Bill,

I have also seen this several times with my Ethos.. but in the case with me it was moisture build-up on the eyelens itself, I simply back off and fan the eyepiece a few seconds with my hand and it dissipates. Heat from my eye, or a combination of heat from the eye and cupping around the eyepiece itself to sheild off stray light may explain the moisture build-up (especially during observing when the moon is so bright)

Mark

December 6, 2009 12:16 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

NGC 660

Posted By Mark Clegg

What a wonderful image.. one of the best I have EVER seen..The background detail is incredible.

Mark Clegg

September 12, 2010 03:47 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

First Jupiter with the new camera

Posted By Mark Clegg

Ed,

That is a very nice image.. some would say you need more magnification (barlows), but I believe it is great the way it is.. very much like what you would see at the eyepiece. I hate too much image processing.. Looks great.

Mark Clegg
Pittsboro, N.C.

October 15, 2010 11:49 PM Forum: Refractors

Takahashi scopes at MASP

Posted By Mark Clegg

John,

I really enjoyed the week at MASP.. It was great to see you.. and I also enjoyed viewing through that wonderful Dob of yours... as well as through all those Taks you mentioned. Here is an image of Jupiter I took Saturday night... about 30 miles from the MASP site.

Mark Clegg
Pittsboro, N.C.

February 8, 2011 04:01 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupitur's warm glow

Posted By Mark Clegg

Tad,

I agree with Bill about observing Jupiter

I live in central N.C., and I have experienced over the years that the best time to observe Jupiter is just before dark, there is a period of time when the heating of the day stops, the air gets extremely steady for a short period before the cooling process really kicks in, thats the most stable time around here to view the planet.. and you can see more detail due to the fact that the surface brightness is low.(it varies from day to day in time but usually 30 minutes to an hour)

Mark Clegg
Pittsboro, N.C.

February 19, 2011 11:14 PM Forum: Refractors

Value of Swiss German brass refractor circa 1815

Posted By Mark Clegg

Hello Nick,

Contact Don Yeier at Vernonscope & Co. they have a website, just google Vernonscope.. Don collects, restores, and resells antique scopes... He is a great guy to work with, with a few photos he may be able to give you a good idea of value. Don's business in located in Candor N.Y.

Mark Clegg
Pittsboro, N.C.

February 20, 2011 06:28 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Any Opinions on Nagler T4s?

Posted By Mark Clegg

Rod,

I owned a 12mm Nagler T4, it was a very sharp eyepiece and with my eyes, minimial "kidney beaning" seen. The only fault I had with the eyepiece, which was one reason I sold mine (well the 13mm Ethos helped to decide also) was the adjustable eyepiece body.(I believe it was called "insta-adjust"). Just be careful when changing eyepieces and remember that the body will sometimes "adjust" when picking the darn thing up.. I thought I had dropped mine on several occasions just because of this feature.

Mark Clegg
Pittsboro, N.C.

March 30, 2011 03:01 PM Forum: Eyepieces

17 or 21 Ethos

Posted By Mark Clegg

Charles,

All of the Ethos eyepieces will perform to high standards, I have them all, and there is one thing I see consistently with the 21mm, if it is not completely cooled down, it will appear to be soft with the views. On nights when I use that eyepiece, I leave it in the focuser the whole observing session. It's just like a scope when it comes to cool down, it has to equalize to perfrom at it's best.

I also love the 27mm Panoptic in all my scopes.. it is a real gem, gives very nice low power views and is razor sharp. Quick to cool down too.

Mark Clegg
Pittsboro, N.C.

April 4, 2011 06:16 PM Forum: Refractors

TEC to stop production of TEC160ED?

Posted By Mark Clegg

Richard,

I do not believe it is a joke... I saw that as well.

Mark Clegg
Pittsboro, N.C.

August 30, 2011 01:59 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mask for 8" refractor

Posted By Mark Clegg

Anthony,

I would not go less than 5" on the mask. I never use a mask or filter unless it is close to full moon. But I also usually use a binoviewer while viewing the moon, that reduces the light throughput just enough where it is not a problem.

DMC
Pittsboro, N.C.