New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Dave Erickson

October 9, 2012 01:22 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

1600 mount

Posted By Dave Erickson

Hi Roland,
I'll be in the Bay Area that weekend and will likely be at the conference. I'd like to discuss the new 1600 and 3600 mounts and their application to remote astronomy if time permits. I've got an older AP1200 that works fantastic so I can only imagine what the additional engineering of the new mounts will bring.

I posted a picture of a friends new AP175 at the Sierra Chaparral site on Astromart. Its great to see such quality still alive in US manufacturing.

Dave Erickson

October 13, 2012 11:01 AM Forum: Telescope Making

question about using rouge for polishing

Posted By Dave Erickson

Rouge stains just about everything and is difficult to remove. A reddish coloration is normal for everything it comes in contact with. A good graade of rouge polishes slow but leaves a very low micro roughness surface..
Regards,
Dave

October 13, 2012 11:04 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

October 16, 2012 09:51 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Fast astrographs design references desired

Posted By Dave Erickson

Thanks for the support!

These instruments are never simple, I had hoped to find a simpler solution but have not.

I have completed the design of a 16" F/2.6 astrograph that fits in the 6' dome on the AP1200 mount. It is substantially different from the 8" F/2.6 I made 8 years ago that is in the dome now. I have extra glass and the tooling from a 12" Schmidt camera I made for a friend in the 70's. So I think I'll start there and make a 12" (6)element F/2.6 Schmidt Newtonian with 4 aspheric surfaces, as a proof of concept. I have started to post progress at www.hbastro.com.

October 26, 2012 10:38 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Images for October

Posted By Dave Erickson

Hi Floyd, Another beautiful image...Regards, Dave

October 26, 2012 10:40 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M31 (most of it)

Posted By Dave Erickson

Roland, Spectacular detail! Best, Dave

October 26, 2012 10:42 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

My M31 for 2012

Posted By Dave Erickson

Enrico, Beautiful image I like the color balance and field of view...Regards, Dave

November 15, 2012 02:27 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Finally Bernard 33/IC434 HorseHead Nebula

Posted By Dave Erickson

Hi Floyd,
Beautiful, very nicely done!!

November 25, 2012 11:41 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Cocoon Nebula

Posted By Dave Erickson

Hi Louis,
Looks good, its a tough object and you have done well.. Your manual guiding is excellent. There is nothing like manual guiding to put you in touch with the equipment and environment! With that experience if you have the STL11000 your imaging might be even more enjoyable using the built in autoguider... You might also consider a left-right flip of the image.

Best regards,
Dave

November 25, 2012 11:08 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

NGC7331

Posted By Dave Erickson

Hi Charlie,
Congratulations on remote operation! Operating remote is a major accomplishment. There are few things that compare to the feeling of the first successful remote operation and data download. For me it is akin to the first look through a telescope or as an ATMer my first look or image through a scope I've made by hand.

The galaxy is beautiful, processing is nicely done.

I have a spectrophotometer I use to calibrate my monitor that generates a profile, I update the profile every few of months. I do similar things while processing looking at the monitor from various angles and leaving the room for a while to return for a fresh look or setting the image aside for a while and returning fresh. For me its a "through back" to the wet chemistry photography days.

Again congratulations on remote operation!...

Regards,
Dave