Posts Made By: Mike Wirths

March 27, 2005 01:35 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Vitello in Mare Humorum

Posted By Mike Wirths

Hi all,

Another close up lunar image from my last good night.
Stack of 256. This ones close to Dopplemayer and is another floor fractured crater like Gassendi.

cheers

Mike

March 31, 2005 01:57 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

New cameras on the horizon

Posted By Mike Wirths

Hi all,

Wes's new colour Lumenera sparked some interesting discussion on the pros and cons (mostly pros) of some of the newer cameras out there like the Lumenera 075 and the newest DMK.
I was right on the cusp of purchasing the monochrome version of the Lum 075 but then I saw Paul mention that ATIK had 2 new models coming out very soon that were true 16 bit cameras. So I thought better wait and see if these new cameras will be a quantum leap forward!
Right now it seems we still have the venerable Toucam which started it all but is really starting to show its age compared to the newer cameras on the block.
The new Atik cameras are supposed to be true 16 bit and also peltier cooled, so hopefully Atik will be aiming one of the new models toward the lunar/planetary imaging crowd.
I'm not a electronics whiz but what will this mean in real terms? Will it mean very high S/N ratio? Much smaller framestacks to acheive good results? I hope these new cameras will be USB2 to allow for high (20FPS or better) uncompressed framerates. Even if the raw frames of these new cameras are a quantum leap forward in terms of quality it will still be advantageus to have many frames to choose the good ones out of.
I guess right now we are still on the cusp of a transition period since the present Atik cameras and DMK cameras are still based on the B&W toucam chipsets, but I think the manufactuers have pushed the technology about as far as it will go with them.

Mike W

April 3, 2005 01:58 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Letronne- walled plain

Posted By Mike Wirths

Hi all,

This 119 km walled plain was done with a 3X's barlow so that it would fit in the FOV. There is a smaller (18km) flooded crater called Winthrop in Letronnes west rim.

thanks

Mike Wirths

April 11, 2005 06:58 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Hershel--walled plain

Posted By Mike Wirths

Hi All,

This is the last image from my last imaging run.
Its of the 156 km disintegrated walled plain Hershel. The rim of Anaxmander can be seen in the upper right.
18" Starmaster, 3X's barlow, Atik webcam (still waiting for news on the new ones :S )

chhers

Mike W

April 16, 2005 04:21 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Rima Ariadaenus

Posted By Mike Wirths

Hi all,

Some decent seeing tonight, 6-7/10. Did a rough mosaic of the rima Ariadaenus near Julius Caesar. Its 220 km long.
18" Starmaster 5X's barlow, Atik webcam, Baader IR passband filter.

cheers

Mike W

April 16, 2005 01:26 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Theophilus & Cyrillus mosaic

Posted By Mike Wirths

Hi,

Another from last night, seeing was 5-7/10 transparency very good. I probably ran into some field rotation over the period of getting the 2 avis for this thus the fit is not perfect. But I like the efect 8)
18" Starmaster, Atik webcam, 5X's barlow, badder 685nm IR pass filter.

--Mike W

April 17, 2005 08:50 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: best Jupiter April 17th

Posted By Mike Wirths

Wow! Thats a VERY good shot! Good colour balance IMO.

cheers

Mike W

April 18, 2005 01:02 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Julius Caeser

Posted By Mike Wirths

Hi all,

Heres another one from night of the 15th. The laurel wreath structure of this crater is very interesting!

18: Starmaster, Atik webcam, 5X's barlow, IR passband filter. Stack of about 250 out of 1100.

--Mike W

April 18, 2005 01:07 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Bossingault, multiple crater!

Posted By Mike Wirths

Hi again,

Heres another, I think Paul Maxson did a shot of this interesting double crater that was LPOD.
Same info as for Julius C shot.

--Mike W

April 19, 2005 04:26 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Valentine Dome

Posted By Mike Wirths

Hi all,

OK heres my last couple images:

Valentine dome, a 30km wide heart-shaped dome (100m high) with another smaller one nearby (just recently discovered).

--cheers

Mike W