My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Chris Watts

September 25, 2007 10:30 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron SkyScout

Posted By Chris Watts

I have an older Celestron Ultima 8 PEC (1990). I am thinking about upgrading it with encoders and a computer, to assist with it's operation. I am curious however about the SkyScout which runs about 399.00. It can be mounted to a camera piggy back bracket, which I have on this scope now. I wonder if this would be a 'cheap method' of assisting with star hunting etc?

Thanks,
Cdub1955

September 27, 2007 02:55 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron Ultima 8 PEC - how to mount encoders?

Posted By Chris Watts

I have a 1990 model Celestron Ultima 8" PEC on which I want to install encoders. Here is a picture of the RA and DEC. Has anyone had experience with this. Can it be done? I would assume I can remove the silver cap, but I am not sure so wanted to ask around before I give this a shot.

September 27, 2007 02:58 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Upgrade a Celestron 8" ultima - or just buy a new

Posted By Chris Watts

I am attempting to upgrade a Celestron Ultima with a computer. I am beginning to wonder if I would be better served to just purchase a newer computerized telescope.

Looking for advice.... The ultima is in great shape...and is an excellent telescope.....

Chris

September 27, 2007 05:03 PM Forum: Celestron

Celestron Ultima 8 - Need help finding encoders th

Posted By Chris Watts

Hello,

I have a Celestron Ultima 8 PEC (1990). I am attempting to find an encoder set that can be installed on this system. Do you ahve recommendations or experience with this type of setup?

Attached is a picture of the system and the RA axis.

Thanks,
Chris

September 27, 2007 05:49 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Can you take deep space images with a digital came

Posted By Chris Watts

Is it possible to mount a Digital camera to a scope and take any reasonable deep space images?

Thanks,
Chris

September 27, 2007 06:53 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Orion StarShoot Deep Space Imaging Camera II?

Posted By Chris Watts

Has anyone had any experience with this camera. I am new to CCD imaging, but an old hat at Astronomy and Astrophotography. I want ot try this with a Celestron Ultima 8" PEC. Would this be a good starting for $700,or are their other options in this price range worth reviewing?

Thanks,
Chris

September 28, 2007 02:10 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

'Meade DSI Pro With LRGB?

Posted By Chris Watts

I am looking at a used 'Meade DSI Pro With LRGB, for about $230. Is this a good deal for beginner ccd imaging with a celestron 8" Ultima PEC?

Thanks,
Chris

September 28, 2007 11:55 AM Forum: Refractors

Size Refractor to piggy back on a Celestron Ultima

Posted By Chris Watts

I have a Celestron Ultima 8 on which I am going to start doing some CCD imaging. I want to have a piggy back scope for viewing or maybe even using the Refractor for imaging.

Can you recommend a size and type of scope that woudl work in this application. I don't want to spend a lot, maybe under $1000. Used is also an option. Just looking for recommendations and guidance.

Chris

October 1, 2007 02:46 PM Forum: Mounts

CG-5A or Meade LXD75?

Posted By Chris Watts

I am looking at two options:
Celestron CG-5A @ $699 or less
Meade LXD75 w/497 Autostar Go-To @ $599

Are these two systems equitable, is one typically better than the other?

Thanks,
Chris

October 2, 2007 12:52 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Best Diagonals for Celestron 8" Ultima?

Posted By Chris Watts

Hello,

I would like to purchase a new Diagonal for my Celestron 8" SCT. What would you recommend?

Chris