My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John Brinegar

November 9, 2005 03:26 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Re: Safety undercuts

Posted By John Brinegar

Mixed feelings about undercuts. Have saved a few eyepieces from the concrete though.

Simple solution on the TMB Monos and perhaps others. Just unscrew the barrel and turn it around. That puts the undercut below the compression ring or set screw. The threads are the same on both sides but the undercut is not in the middle.

February 3, 2006 04:16 AM Forum: Takahashi

Small Mount for Sky90?

Posted By John Brinegar

I just got a Sky90, nice little grab and go scope. Now I want a small, light, motorized head to go on a Manfrotto 3001 tripod. I do have larger tripods including a AP/Baader but this is for compact, light weight, visual only observing but should also work with a binoviewer. I do have a tripod head with a micro-adjustment stage and it works more or less but runs out of motion too soon for ease of use. Any recommendations?

Like wise any suggestions on a good but small soft case?

May 12, 2006 03:24 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Re: What are your 3 most used eyepieces?

Posted By John Brinegar

Currently my most used are:

TV 55mm Plos for H-Alpha (F30)
16mm TMB Monos for binobviewing
7mm Nagler for my grab and go Sky90

Barlows used freqently and include 4x and 5x powermates, AP barlow (all with various extensions) and glaspath for the binoviewer

February 23, 2004 04:46 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Bino Collimation

Posted By John Brinegar

Send them into Fuji, Cherry Hill NJ as I recall. I did a couple of years ago after I dropped mine and they came back fine after a few weeks. Fuji has good service.

February 4, 2006 05:17 PM Forum: Takahashi

Small Mount for Sky90?

Posted By John Brinegar

Good suggestion, I had forgottne about the Nexstar mount. But its a bit larger than I was thinking of.

Lukman Mazneh said:

Since nobody has responded, I’ll give a try. How about the nexstar mount?

Lukman

February 13, 2006 04:11 AM Forum: Takahashi

Sky 90 drawtube diameter

Posted By John Brinegar

By a ruler it is 70mm OD

January 29, 2007 02:52 AM Forum: Takahashi

Tokyo location

Posted By John Brinegar

There are several stores in Tokyo that sell Tak. You are probably thinking of StarBase which is just a couple of blocks north of the JR Akihabara station. The phone number is 03-3255-5535 (not much english spoken). Pick up a copy of a Japanese magazine such as Temmon Guide and there will be a drawing showing the location of the shop and train stations. BTW I stopped by on Saturday.

Jim Runsdorf said:

Anyone have a street address/phone number for the Takahashi store in Tokyo? I plan to be in Japan in a few weeks and would be interested in checking out the wares.

Thanks very much,

Jim

October 19, 2007 04:25 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

Mach1 review in S&T

Posted By John Brinegar

Already have mine and did not need to wait on a review. A big step up from my 1996 600E (not goto - not even even QMD). It is very nice with a 130 but really wants to be used it with a 160 ;-).

So please forget about the 140's and 130's and start up the 160's again. Maybe you could make it to my place in Jan '00? An 8" MAK would be nice as well.

May 28, 2008 03:59 AM Forum: Astro-Physics

Some Leo Favorites

Posted By John Brinegar

Hope this means you will be making this size. There are lots of us who want a small fast cool down Mak.

October 2, 2009 12:44 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Japan eyepiece vendor?

Posted By John Brinegar

See: http://www.kkohki.com/English/kkohkiparts.html

Barry has a good guy to deal with.