New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Steve Hollenbach

June 12, 2010 02:24 PM Forum: Religion

Re: Do Chris, Clyde, and Rod exist?

Posted By Steve Hollenbach

Hi Scott,

How do any of us know the other exists? It is not by the tangible proof everyone seems to seek. I've already said this about God. It is by the intangible influence they have upon you.

If I have written anything offensive, and if that offense has upset you, I'm sorry, but that in itself would be proof that I exist. Had I not, I could not have had a negative affect on you. Or positive for that matter, and you wouldn't even know I was there.

In my article and in many posts on the forum, I've suggested the Universe we experience is in fact God. Not the old man with a finger giving Adam life as traditionally depicted in Christanity, but a God so obvious we look right past him and into everyday life.

The Universe we experience is not composed of stars and microbes alone, it has methodology, events, personalities we confront daily and intangible ideas out the whazoo. In short infinity is contained within the scope of the whole of the Universe.

Having said all that. Chris, Clyde and Rod exist if only in name. That proof is in your own question.

If you want more than a name, look at their writing styles, their comments, their opinions. All these are intangible, but have an affect on you. If not, you would have no question to ask. If they didn't exist you wouldn't even have been able to name them.

Maybe I don't exist. If I were a highly developed computer program giving an automatic response to your posts, I would exist in that sense. If the details were convincing enough, you might not be able to tell the difference. Had that been the case, for all intents and purposes I would exist in the form you could identify.

The people we encounter in person are physically evident. But that any of us know the other is more than a lump of materials refined from the products on grocery store shelves, is by the intangible aspects of how we interact with each other.

If there's a person who visits this forum daily, but never responds, they exist, but we have no way of knowing. Those who do respond are evident by their response.

Steve
8)

June 16, 2010 06:38 AM Forum: Home Observatories

Baby Steps

Small progress in Apache Junction:
Got the Exploradome mounted. Everything went pretty well, but it had been upside down so long it was pretty warped. The new ones have the rails built in, a nice feature. Mine didn't. If you get an old one that needs the rails installed, support it while it's upside down, and avoid the "squished Bowl" effect.

Anyway a few days in the hot sun should take care of it, If not I'll have to make a spreader for the hatch opening.

It rotated first try, but things got hung up as I started installing the anti-lift strips. more on that after some investigation tonight.

Steve
8)

June 17, 2010 03:30 PM Forum: Religion

In Truth, Is There No Beauty?

The wind blew from the west one morning. The grain of sand next to it had a rounded top, so it fell just there and stayed on top for about a week. Because of its sharp edges an animal with muddy hooves tracked it half a mile east. There it fell and mixed in with decaying leaves. It remained an unseen spec in the dirt for a thousand years. A strong rain washed the hillside away and it eventually regained its place in the sun on the old beach.

Every grain of sand has some history. Every star in the sky as well. Everything we observe has been placed there and will be moved by countless billions of causes and affects. There is very little random in the Universe.

Sit up late at night. Look out upon the magnificent, contemplate the infinite, imagine the amazing and see the beauty.

Steve
8)

June 22, 2010 08:35 AM Forum: Religion

Fools

Hi All,
Taken the statement:

"Only fools go where angels fear to tread."

If there are angels, and if they defeated the army of Satan, what on Earth would they be in fear of?

No random involved this time out. We're assuming for the sake of arguement here that they exist.

Now for the pre-argument:
How many are there? A legion? I've only read the names of half a dozen, but Jesus mentioned a legion. Does God require an army?

Thanks,
Steve
8)

June 22, 2010 12:24 PM Forum: Religion

Fear?

OK, why fear God?

Certainly if God created me and knows me better than I know myself, I have no reason to fear.

I hardly think the creator of the Universe would be so offended by an inferior being that he'd behave like a spoiled child and smoke the whole planet over my inability to cope with challenges he has purposefully provided.

Certainly God has more maturity, peace of mind and patience than my Dad. I offended him quite a bit and he never banished me to an eternity of torture.

Again...hmmmm.....

8)
Steve

July 1, 2010 04:43 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Binoviewer

Hi All,
I have a question about bino-viewers in general. I know they don't actually provide a wider field or magically increase the number of photons.

However, my question is; even with a split light path, does the use of both eyes improve the percieved visual presentation of the night sky? Does the picture formed in the brain "see" more detail?

I looked through one and didn't see a whole lot of difference than through a single high quality EP.

Thanks,
Steve
8)

August 3, 2010 03:36 PM Forum: Religion

The Razor's Edge

"The path to salvation is narrow and as difficult to tread as the razor's edge."

Hope I got that right. I like the Tyrone Powers movie, not so much the Bill Murray one. OK, open topic on a new quote.

First, how many paths to "Salvation"?
Second, Is "Salvation" even necessary?

I never considered myself in need of being saved. Rather dry egotism perhaps, but I'm usually much more fun that you see here.

So my own opinions up front. It's not necessary, and if it were desired, there would be as many paths as people.

Back in a few. I'm off to search for the waters of oblivion.
wink
Steve
8)

August 9, 2010 08:11 AM Forum: Religion

What should you pray for?

Seriously people pray for the silliest reasons; especially obtaining "things".

Here are my guidelines:

If you pray for something you can work hard for and get, don't waste God's time, get back to work. That's why you were given abilities.

If you pray to solve a difficult problem, OK, fine, but also get to work. Use your resources, call your friends, get out the encyclopedia, ask an expert. All were put here for a purpose, make good use of them. Let them excersise their tallent. They'll feel all warm & fuzzy and you're likely to get your answer.

If you pray to get "more" of anything, live longer, win the lottery, win a game, beat an enemy and so on, it smacks of greed, and it's no wonder the answer is no.

If your prayer is free of greed or pride, if it lacks any personal gain, if it's intended for the benefit of someone else, now you're getting warm. OK, take a little time to look into your own resources, tallents and know-how. What strings can you pull, or influence you have to help another person have a better day?

Everything has some purpose, find it and make good use of it.

Now, having read all that, would it really matter if you were an ex-patriot Catholic, a Chistian Fundie, Jewish, Muslim, Buhdist, Agnostic or Athiest? Nahhh, it's just a matter of digging in.

Putting it back into a religious context; don't leave a task in God's hands that he assigned to you. If you have a problem, a fear a desire or a thing going on...you own it.

Thanks,
Steve
8)

August 11, 2010 01:54 PM Forum: No Holds Barred

Lions

OK, is the lion wrong to eat a Christian?

I mean, the other Christians would call that death a sacrifice, and therefore an act of the deepest religious devotion.

That would not have been possible without the lion. So the lion is an essential part of the suffering Christians claim as a sign of their faith.

Now, the lion on the other hand, is simply acting upon an instinct deeply engrained in his need to survive. Because he has so little ability in abstract thoughts like right & wrong, he really can't make an informed decision, or be held responsible for it.

Now let's talk about his soul. Hmmm...do lions have souls? They exhibit unique personalities, much like dogs, but to what level or degree can concepts like right & wrong be applied?

Deep thoughts as you're knocked down and eaten.

Thanks,
Steve
8)

August 13, 2010 07:01 AM Forum: After Dark

At about 7:54 PM

At about 7:54 PM (Pacific) directly south of Apache Junction Arizona a good size meteor lit up from what looked like directly overhead on an almost perfectly southern course, crossing nearly half the visible sky. It lasted long enough to say; "Wow, it's still going." twice!

It had some green tint to it later in the flight and some yellow and red right at the end. Might have been big enough to hit, but most likely not. I'm sure it was well into Mexico if it did.

Just wondering if anyone else saw that one. It should have been visible from anywhere near Phoenix or Tucson.

Thanks,
Steve
8)