My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Richard Krumbein

June 6, 2020 09:26 PM Forum: Home Observatories

ExploraDome Custom Wheel Ring Conversion for SkyShed Pod

Posted By Richard Krumbein

I just completed the updated conversion of my SkyShed Pod to ExploraDome using the new custom rotating conversion kit from ExploraDome.  The results are incredible.  The Exploradome turns 270 degrees with a single starting push of (measured) 5.5 pounds.  The rotation is totally smooth and quiet.  Feels like is running on rubber wheels... No noise, no bumps, no hanging up.  Just smooth as if it was running on air suspension.

The conversion kit custom made by ExploraDome consists of an aluminum mounting ring with 95" outside diameter and 87" inside diameter.  The ring has a welded underside "skirt" with inside diameter of 90", and the skirt is 4" long.  This allows the ring to be inserted snug on the Pod walls (with a little help from a rubber mallet), with the ring skirt on the outside of the Pod, holding a perfect roundness of the Pod.  The mounting ring has the horizontal and vertical wheels installed on top and dust/critters brushes attached to the skirt underneath.  The wheel ring just lays on top of the wheels on the mounting ring and stays perfectly centered.

At this point, the dome (with the original plastic wheel channel removed) is just lowered on top of the wheel ring and it self-centers itself.  That is the whole process.  My next step is to install the rotation track which screws on to the wheel ring and get the rotation motor and electronics.

Thanks to Dan and Dustin from ExploraDome for making this Pod conversion solution available.

June 6, 2020 09:29 PM Forum: Home Observatories

June 6, 2020 09:29 PM Forum: Home Observatories

June 6, 2020 09:30 PM Forum: Home Observatories

June 6, 2020 09:30 PM Forum: Home Observatories

June 18, 2020 07:11 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Newbie Setup Help

I am a newbie.  I have an observatory with a TAK 102S and a C9.25.  I also have a Mallincam Hypercolor.  The scopes are mounted on a Losmandy 11 with SBS plate.  Which scope would be better suited to dedicate for visual observation (nebulas, galaxies and planets) and which one should I use with the Mallincam?  I would like to dedicate one for visual and one for Mallincam viewing.  I also have Dekenmeier binoviewer that I can use with either scope.  In other words, is one better suited than the other for visual or for imaging?  Thanks.

June 18, 2020 07:11 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Newbie Setup Help

I am a newbie.  I have an observatory with a TAK 102S and a C9.25.  I also have a Mallincam Hypercolor.  The scopes are mounted on a Losmandy 11 with SBS plate.  Which scope would be better suited to dedicate for visual observation (nebulas, galaxies and planets) and which one should I use with the Mallincam?  I would like to dedicate one for visual and one for Mallincam viewing.  I also have Dekenmeier binoviewer that I can use with either scope.  In other words, is one better suited than the other for visual or for imaging?  Thanks.