Posts Made By: ken pfeiffer

January 9, 2007 03:35 PM Forum: Refractors

Scope case in here!

Posted By ken pfeiffer

Very nice, Floyd!

Now we all want to know where you got it so we can get something like that when needed.

February 17, 2007 03:59 PM Forum: Refractors

QUITE A SURPRISE

Posted By ken pfeiffer

ZOW! Nice picture. Congrats on the scope! How about a picture of that so we can all check it out?

February 28, 2007 04:11 PM Forum: Refractors

TMB 130SS Star Test

Posted By ken pfeiffer

The lower resolution in the larger scope is concerning. Had the scope been out long enough to achieve thermal equilbrium? How was the seeing on the nights you were out?

February 28, 2007 04:24 PM Forum: Refractors

As long as it's not EQ!

Posted By ken pfeiffer

I agree with you on the equatorial mount. It is nice for tracking, but a real pain to set up.

I have tried a number of alt-az mounts. The TV tip-up cradle style mounts are OK, but you can't reach zenith, and the balance issue is a bit difficult. Also have tried Bogen style camera mounts (e.g. 3160) on camera tripods. They have the same issue in that you can't achieve zenith, balance is tricky (the center of gravity for the scope shifts relative to the center of the tripod as you change altitude), and the ones I have tried are far too wobbly for a five pound scope. The mount I really like is the Universal Astronomics Unistar Deluxe on a surveyor's tripod. You can get to zenith, balance doesn't shift as you change in altitude, and it is plenty solid. I have heard great things about the DiscMount and the Stellarvue, also. Their style of construction is the same in that balance does not shift as you pan the scope upward.

If you are only using a five pound scope you could use a lighter version of the mount and tripod, but it is nice having the extra stability, and if you ever get a larger scope the heavier mount will handle it. (Did I say "If you ever get a larger scope"? LOL)

March 10, 2007 05:30 PM Forum: TeleVue

TeleVue 140 Binoscope

Posted By ken pfeiffer

My goodness, that's a shocker! Not one, but TWO 140s.

Does anyone know about how many 140s were even made?

March 15, 2007 05:07 PM Forum: Refractors

Terrestrial viewing considerations

Posted By ken pfeiffer

Hi James,

Congrats on your new purchase! I am sure you will have lots of fun.

Many of the eyepiece considerations for terrestrial vs. astronomical use are the same, e.g. eye relief, fov, power, etc. Depending on the type of terrestrial use, you may also want to consider another couple of factors. If you are going to be carrying the scope around and using it as a spotting scope, weight might be important. Plossls might be preferable to more weighty eyepieces, such as Naglers or big Panoptics. In a similar vein, you might not be interested in the "space walk" feel you get with super wide field eyepieces, where essentially you move your head around to see the edges of a wide field.

One of my favorite eyepieces for terrestrial is a TV 8-24 zoom. If you are carrying the scope around to use as a spotting scope, it is only one eyepiece to carry, and you can use the lower power setting as a finder, and then zoom in on anything interesting. This is very convenient. The optics are pretty good, too. The only disadvantage I see is that the fov with the 24 mm setting is narrower than a plossl of the equivalent focal length.

Have fun!

September 23, 2007 03:42 AM Forum: Refractors

Thomas Back Passes...

Posted By ken pfeiffer

Indeed a sad day. My favorite scope is in my living room, a TMB 105.

I understand that he had been ill for some time. Does anyone know the cause of his untimely demise?

November 19, 2007 06:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Swarovski bino repairs - make a note!

Posted By ken pfeiffer

Thanks, Greg. That is good to know. Enjoy your Swaros - I have the 10x50s and my wife has the 10x42s, and they are simply the best optical instruments I have had the good fortune to use. We went to ATWB to buy my wife's, which allowed us to compare all the best binos. The Swaros were better than anything else, including binos of larger aperture, more power, and even IS. That alone would justify the high price, but the icing on the cake is that you now tell me that repairs are free.

January 20, 2008 04:57 PM Forum: Refractors

To sell the C8 for a refractor or not to sell the

Posted By ken pfeiffer

So you are just selling the C8 OTA and keeping the mount
for the refractor, right?

I take it you have done some photography with the C8.

February 24, 2008 04:05 PM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

astro photo book

Posted By ken pfeiffer

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to buy a couple of these, and soon have run attempting some astrophotography!