My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Steven Cotton

May 20, 2014 06:07 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Problem with website

Posted By Steven Cotton

I use Google Chrome as my browser. If I do not log in, I can view more than the first page of ads ...

If I log in, no matter what page I attempt to go to ... it just redisplays page 1 of the ads

Logout and I can view multiple pages again.

BUT ONLY if I login in the LEFT COLUMN ... If I login using another login point, it works fine!

July 26, 2015 06:18 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

My ad count jumped from 40 to 100 ?????

Posted By Steven Cotton

What happened or what changed or can you explain it please

December 2, 2015 01:43 AM Forum: Eyepieces

UO 1986 55mm Plossl 5 element Ocular!

Posted By Steven Cotton

I purchased my University Optics 55mm Plössl 2" back in November of 1986 and still have it. In side-by-side comparisons, I always preferred this eyepiece over other standard Plössls. Recently I became aware that the same factory that made very desirable Masuyama eyepieces also made the University Optics 55mm Plössl and the Celestron 50mm Ultima. I was really curious so I carefully disassembled the eyepiece and lo and behold, it actually has 5 elements! I wonder how the configuration of this eyepiece compares to the Masuyama or the Meade 56mm Super Plossl. Has 2 cemented 2 lens groups, apparently symmetrical (like a normal Plossl) and a "pesky" 5th lens.

I would be very interested in any information or opinions that you might have with regard to the University Optics 55mm Plössl.

Here are some thoughts on the long focal length eyepieces that I currently own.

Celestron “Silvertop” 50mm Plössl 2” - smoothside. (purchased new in Nov 1985 and still own it)
• Awful Kidney Bean in moderate to severe light pollution and in the daytime (typical Plössl)
• Narrow AFOV – between 43° and 44°
• Sharp Image across the field
• Nice Coatings on all surfaces although I am sure modern coatings are a lot better.
• Slightly heavier than the University Optics 55mm Plössl.
• Body is sandblasted anodized aluminum with a black rim around the eyelens and has orange embossed lettering. Average metal barrel – to smooth to be solid metal so it is probably plated

Meade 56mm Super Plössl 2” 5 element pseudo-Masuyama - smoothside. (purchased new in Aug 1991 and still own it)
• Kidney Bean problems are a whole lot less that the Celestron 50mm Plössl. With some care, it can be used in daylight.
• AFOV – 52°
• Nice Coatings on all surfaces although I am sure modern coatings are a lot better.
• Very Heavy Eyepiece especially when used with a 4” or 5” SCT.
• Black Annodized Aluminum with white embossed lettering. Barrel is obviously machined but very smooth and high quality – probably solid metal!

University Optics 55mm Plössl 2” (5 Element!! – perhaps pseudo Masuyama) - smoothside. (purchased new in Aug 1987)
• Rarely do I see the Kidney Bean. Works fine in the daylight.
• AFOV – 50°
• Body is painted black with White and Blue embossed lettering. Barrel is too smooth to be machined so it is probably plated.

Celestron 50mm Ultima 2” – 7 element eyepiece – Just acquired this beast and haven’t compared it yet.
• Less heavy than the Meade 56mm Super Plössl
• Very nice coatings
• Black Annodized Aluminum with embossed orange lettering. Barrel is obviously machined but very smooth and high quality – probably solid metal!

https://www.dropbox....Plossl.jpg?dl=0

This eyepiece was "New" in the 1986-1987 University Optics catalog.

Would really appreciate any comments or knowledge that you can provide.

May 27, 2017 05:45 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Possible that Astromart is Compromised

Posted By Steven Cotton

I received a "response" for the trade of Shotgun for astronomical gear and I never responded to such an ad (and I have received several other emails from Astromart ads that I did not respond to"

"There is something rotten in Denmark" here

The ads don't exist and I suspect your subscriber email address list has been compromised!

December 2, 2015 08:25 PM Forum: Eyepieces

UO 1986 55mm Plossl 5 element Ocular!

Posted By Steven Cotton

Why is there zero response to this thread. Is it necessary to post detailed photos of the dissembled eyepiece lenses. So many complaints about CN idiots or "know it all noggins" but absolutely no response from members of Astromart? Lots of responses on CN.

The members of Astromart seem to be silent, appalled, shocked, incredulous ... or just absolutely reticent to respond! Enquiring minds (mine) wish to know whatever information Astromart members may provide!

Please, all responses welcome!

December 18, 2017 05:42 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Classifieds search function BROKEN

Posted By Steven Cotton

Still BROKEN 12/17/2017

Wots, Uh, the Deal here?

April 10, 2018 02:35 AM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Hypering Film - Push Processing

Posted By Steven Cotton

Gas Hypering with Hydrogen, usually, forming gas which is about 5-7% H2 with other gasses like Nitrogen or Argon. Forming gas is used in all sorts of metal processing and is commonly available. 

I have never heard of using Anhydrous Ammonia but I would think that would interact negatively with the emulsion and would pose serious health risks to handling the film not to mention possible chemical reactions with developers. I think you must be mistaken about using Anhydrous Ammonia. 

Forming Gas does have some hazards - you must use Hydrogen rated fittings and hoses. Forming Gas is extremely flammable!

Lumicon used to sell Gas Hypering Kits that included a small cylinder of what was essentially, forming gas. I have one of those tanks and it still has some gas in it. 

With new regulations, it has become almost impossible to purchase Forming Gas at any price unless you have the necessary licenses and certifications. Those old tanks, while perfectly serviceable, can no longer be refilled due to all sorts of new regulations. Lumicon used to ship those tanks full of forming gas and that is no longer permitted either.

I suspect that it might cost upwards of $300-500 to acquire a cylinder of forming gas these days! (cylinder fees, forming gas, certification fees, licensing fees)