Posts Made By: John Whitby

May 5, 2004 12:42 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Case for 80ED?

Posted By John Whitby

Stellarvue!

May 5, 2004 10:08 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Alt/Az mounts with slow motion controls

Posted By John Whitby

Burgess optical had a nice one at NEAF that would fit the bill, I think. Very fluid movements with the controls.

May 12, 2004 04:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

refractor diagonal comments?

Posted By John Whitby

I have an AR5 and the color ain't that great on Jupiter and bright stars. I use a minus violet filter for that, Otherwise, no need to.

I'm using a Meade UHTC 2" diagonal I bought here for $100 and it's just fine. I've owned the TeleVues in the past. I don't think most eyes could tell the difference between the 97% and 99% diagonals. This was the subject of much debate a while back on another forum and some said they could tell the difference in the two different TeleVue diagonals - most said they couldn't. But most also went ahead and bought the more expensive ones, too. Go figure.

May 15, 2004 10:34 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Which TV WideField 24mm model is better ?

Posted By John Whitby

I got one of the very first 24 mm Panoptics several years ago from a dealer located near TeleVue. I ordered it just as they were announced and waited about a month for it. As far as I can tell, there have been no changes since then. Eyecup and knurled body included.

May 28, 2004 09:25 PM Forum: Politics

Overreaction?

Posted By John Whitby

Your postulation is so ludicrous it's not even laughable. It is appalling. Why in the hell do your ilk try to politicize a WAR? Don't you GET it?

Unlike most politicians, Bush is principled and from the beginning of the war on terror has put his re-election at risk to fight this war- whether you like the strategy or not. If he was concerned about his poll numbers he'd stick his finger in the air like Clinton and Kerry and waffle every week. Seen any trial balloons from Bush lately - like defering accepting the nomination?

WHO in this country would have thought on September 12, 2001 that we could go until now without a terrorist attack on US soil?
Well we did - and it's not luck. I work closely with the head of security for a major company that was severely damaged by 9/11. Our building was half destroyed - it was across the street from the WTC. For the first 6 to 12 months after 9/11 the security people were CERTAIN we were in for another attack - and they have been doing everything in their power to prevent and prepare. So go ahead and make light of it. It dishonors those who died then, and those would have their lives at risk now taking the fight to the terrorists turf.

And now if one happens it will be Bush's fault, and if not, Bush's fault for crying wolf.

Yup the best thing for the Kerryistas is for the transition of power in Iraq to go bad and for a terrorist attack against the US. Especially now that they can't count on it being the "economy stupid".

This kind of intellectually vacant speculation makes me want to vomit.

July 11, 2011 09:44 PM Forum: Refractors

80mm preference

Posted By John Whitby

IT NEVER FAILS! Got my new scope and then the summer monsoon rains started up here in SW Colorado. A total of 15 mins first light and then 10 days of rain. cwy