My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James K. Burke

June 4, 2008 04:35 PM Forum: Takahashi

My new toys

Posted By James K. Burke

Hello everyone. I've been interested in astronomy since I watched the Apollo 11 landing on TV when the rest of my family was sleeping. I've done lots of reading over the years and looked at the sky whenever possible with binoculars, a few refractors and a 125 ETX. Now I've gone and bought a TOA 130 and an FS-78. I can figure out most of what I need to do to look through the scopes when they arrive, but figure I should probably find someone in the area who could walk me through the finer points of polar alignment and mounting the scopes properly.

I've tried to contact the local astronomy club but have heard no replies. I'd like to hear from anyone with experience in the above processes for some guidance.

I'm in Edmonton, Alberta.

Thanks, Kevin

June 9, 2008 04:01 PM Forum: LUNATICS

Mountains

Posted By James K. Burke

Hi everyone. I enjoy lunar observing and have often wondered about what we call mountains.

Are all the mountains on the moon formed by impacts? I see none that aren't in some way associated with impact features.

Kevin

June 23, 2008 10:05 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Mule deer in velvet

Posted By James K. Burke

This fellow has been a visitor to the oil facility here in northeast Alberta for three years now; he's gonna be huge this year.

June 27, 2008 11:46 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Ruddy Duck

Posted By James K. Burke

I try to get shots of these any time I get a chance. The one time I could have gotten close to a ruddy that was still I had no camera. Rats.

This fella and his mate were moving pretty quickly, but you can see the beautiful color of his bill. The light was awful.

July 2, 2008 06:10 PM Forum: Takahashi

FS-78 compression ring

Posted By James K. Burke

My FS-78 1 1/4" compression ring doesn't grab the diagonal well. The WO diagonals have a bevelled barrel which allows some slop.

I'm considering either wrapping tape around the barrel or the compression ring to firm things up. Anyone have a simple solution I haven't thought of?

Thanks, Kevin

August 20, 2008 03:12 PM Forum: Refractors

Guide scope rings

Posted By James K. Burke

Hi All,

I'm having difficulty finding rings and accessories to mount am AT66 on a TOA130 as a guide scope.
I've gone over LS&S's website with a fine-toothed comb and can't seem to find any reference to such set-ups. Can anyone set me on the right path with a recommendation or reference to a helpful supplier?

And, is it possible to get guide scope rings that will fit both the 75mm of the AT66 and the 95mm of my fs-78?

Thanks, Kevin

September 5, 2008 02:55 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Bat ID

Posted By James K. Burke

Hello All,

Found this little creature roosting in the soffit of a playhouse being sided for a friend's grandchildren.

I was very gentle; he couldn't have weighed more than an ounce.

I know that "Little Brown" bats are common in Alberta. This fella was very black.

The photo doesn't show much for the shape of the ears and nose (I think those are important).

Anyone know the species?

Thanks, Kevin

September 11, 2008 04:19 PM Forum: Takahashi

EM-200 polar alignment

Posted By James K. Burke

Hello,

I took my em-200 out and tried to polar align. The instructions seem to be missing any reference to how to set the time by spinning the reticule. I winged it and the results were poor by about 3/4 of a degree every slew. I tried all the tricks I've read such as sync, go to Polaris then adjust the mount, but of course the reticule is wrong so I can't get it right.

Can someone point me to a complete set of instructions?

Thanks for any help. Kevin

November 7, 2009 06:03 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Owl in Northern Alberta

Posted By James K. Burke

Please help. I came accross a light-coloured owl in Spirit River while hunting. I took many pics but in my haste failed to see my camera was set for astrophotography. Nothing but white frames.
Description: Slim, very light coloured. About half the size of a great grey and twice the length of a northern hawk owl. No ears and definitely not a G horned. Almost falcon-like when it finally cried and flew off. If it wasn't for the obvious owl face I'd have guessed it was a gyrfalcon (sharply barred, but a v long, squared tail) Not a northerm barred (way too slim). Not a barn owl as the dish was not that distinct ( of all the owls it most resembled a barn but they are not found here according to the literature)It was as approachable as a N hawk owl. I've looked at the owls of Alberta and nothing even close. Plesae share your thoughts. I have a very clear memory of the bird and especially its in-fight plumage from below as I continued to approach and it cried and flew off at abut 15 feet. Feel free to tell me it wasn't an owl, as I'm starting to question my own sanity. Thanks.

September 11, 2010 07:30 AM Forum: After Dark

Jupiter from Edmonton Alberta

Posted By James K. Burke

After a long, rainy summer and way too much time spent working away from my telescopes, we finally had a clear night. I saw that jupiter was going to clear the side of my building at around 1 am and instead of using the FS 78 I decided I wanted to try the big gun for probably the first and last time this summer. I mounted my TOA 130 on the Teegul (I know, but it handled it. Not well as the vibration was terrible but if I put jupiter on the edge of the field it settled down by the time it reached the middle) I've never seen jupiter so clearly or just so LARGE in an eyepiece. Lots of bands visible in the southern hemisphere but no red (light tan) spot to be seen. Must be not there at this time or I need more time and practice. I had a good 20 minutes of spectacular views then the clouds set in. All in all a great time that made up for the terrible rainy and windy summer.

I can hardly wait until I have the time to head out of town for a few nights and use the scope on the mount designed for it. Maybe when I retire in 15 or 20 years.