Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Michael Greenham

October 5, 2009 12:57 AM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Happy Face

Posted By Michael Greenham

Not sure exactly what it is but I call him/her/it, "HappyFace". smile

October 12, 2009 11:24 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Grackles?

Since we have been clouded out for about 3 weeks now I decided to get my new Televue Genesis SDF out and experiment with a few photos.

Took a few shots of the birds that visit the trees behind our place. These particular birds usually in groups. Grackles I believe but I am not sure.

Mike

October 14, 2009 04:17 PM Forum: Reflectors

C5 Spotter

I just recently acquired one of these little 5" spotters and I must say that I am quite impressed with its performance.

When I received the scope I tested it inside with an artificial star 20' away. Star test was strange and collimation was way off. I tried to adjust one of the collimation screws when I noticed the secondary holder was very loose. I marked all reference points for reassembly and removed the corrector retaining ring and to my surprise there were no shims centering the corrector and had about a 3mm gap all around.

I removed the corrector, tightened the secondary holder, centered it with the best of my ability and replaced the retaining ring.

Star test later that night was significantly improved. I tweeked collimation again and now the images are superb.

Does anyone have experiences similar to mine? Did you make shims or just leave it be?

October 21, 2009 04:30 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Backyard Birds with C5

Hello everyone. Hope you are having a nice day. smile

These are a few of the birds that have been in the Autumn trees behind my apartment.

Taken with a C5 SCT at prime focus with Canon 20D.

1st Pic: Blue Jay

December 9, 2009 02:14 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Season's Greetings from Hubble

The HubbleSite is offering printable/downloadable holiday cards for the Christmas season. The cards are designed to be printed out at photo stores or online photo labs, though you can also use your home printer. Nice high resolution images.

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/holiday/

Cheers,
Michael

January 8, 2010 02:10 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Paypal support?

To which account do I send the funds for support?

Here: [email protected]

or here: [email protected]

I assume I would have to include a short note as to what the payment is for. Add Paypal fees or not?

Kind regards,
Mike

April 6, 2010 01:39 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Planetary pair

Venus and Mercury make a nice pair during twilight this month. They look beautiful together in the same FOV of my binoculars. I got about 30 minutes of viewing in before the clouds rolled over. Check it out!

Mike

April 14, 2010 01:08 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

First time with med-large aperture.

Up until last night, the largest mirror I ever observed with was an 8". Recently I bought a vintage, if you can call early 90's vintage, locally made 12.5" f/4.8 split tube dob. It has a nice older Meade mirror, came with a few eyepieces and other accessories in a nice hard case and it could fit in my car, so I went for it.

Last night was my first night out with this beast and let me tell you, WOW! What a treat. Globular clusters which were once fuzzy cotton balls, now resolved to the core and the spiral arms of M51 were clearly evident. All this with not so transparent skies, but seeing was excellent.

Once the transparency took a turn for the worst I put the scope on Saturn for a while. For a short period with my TV 3x barlow and 7mm Nagler, I was viewing Saturn at 653x. Saturn appeared almost as big as the full moon does in my Astroscan at low power and during brief moments of steady sky the view was unbelievable!

Spring and fall are my favorite seasons for viewing. Mild, cool nights and no bugs or dew to deal with, just the orchestra of frogs, owls and coyotes in the stillness of the night. Looking forward to next new moon.

Cheers,
Mike

April 28, 2010 01:31 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Is this something new?

[COLOR="Blue"]I sent an email to the seller and the response was:[/COLOR]

[SIZE="Small"]Re: ASTROMART - Response to ad #680850รพ
You may not know this sender. Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: April 28, 2010 6:02:16 AM
To: *****@***mail.com

I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

Click the link below to fill out the request:

**Link here**[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Blue"]I've never seen this before. Normal??[/COLOR]

May 23, 2010 01:41 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Sunspots

There's a nice grouping today with one of the biggest spots I've seen yet. 8) If you've got a sun filter then get out and take a look and get a tan at the same time.

Cheers,
Mike