Posts Made By: Kevin VerMerris

June 23, 2008 03:49 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

looking for some advice

Posted By Kevin VerMerris

Been long enough to qualify as a beginner, my equipment
1 - 8" Discovery reflector - purchased as eq mount - the not so great one that came with a lot of scopes. Focuser is suspect-probable upgrade
1 - Stellarvue 80/9D OTA w/rings - use the same mount
Telrad finder
Red Dot finder
Some EP

I'd love to get back into things but not sure I'm happy with what I have. My gut says sell everything and start over, but not sure thats necessary and was hoping to get some ideas as to what is useable or to go in a different direction. Thanks for thoughts

July 2, 2008 11:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

need some estimates please

What is the value of this mount? Its at least 5-6 years old and was part of a package deal with a Discovery Newt. No brand name whatsoever. Thanks for any input, and I won't be insulted grin

July 3, 2008 06:54 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Troubleshooting help

Best way to troubleshoot this rig? RA drive - 8 c batteries - do not have any indication of power on the hand control(no lights) Thanks for thoughts

Kevin

July 8, 2008 05:04 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

classified ad question

What is the proper way to handle responses to an ad, first response gets first chance or if somebody comes in a few hours later and offers to buy it no questions, unsure of committment of first response.

Kevin

July 9, 2008 02:16 AM Forum: Celestron

Question on mounts(and scopes)

Can a user of the newer computerized scopes point and shoot without using the hand control, or do you have to slew it with controller so it doesnt lose its alignment. Thanks!

Kevin

July 9, 2008 02:22 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

How long should a scope last?

Just curious as what the lifespan is? Especially the mounts with the goto and gps. I know alot depends on the care they receive, but do optical coatings fail?

October 17, 2008 02:02 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Sales are tough!

Have to admit that it is truly a buyers market right now, sales are hard to come by. What a difference a month makes. I've been trying to unload a C6 OTA and a month, 2 months ago those things wouldnt last a day. Oh well....just a random thought

June 28, 2008 09:49 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

looking for some advice

Could somebody compare the different types of telescope - what would one see if you had a 8" SCT, 8" Dob and any other styles - straight up optics comparison. Just curious if one is "better".

Kevin

July 8, 2008 05:41 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

classified ad question

I was leaning in that direction also. Thanks