My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: William Paolini

January 6, 2012 05:50 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Will Astromart be at NEAF 2012?

Posted By William Paolini

I think Anacortes and AMart should always have a strong presence there. For AMart, in keeping with its main focus, there should be a large table and AMart members can drop off their eyepieces and gear to display on the table for others to buy, and if they sell then Herb handles the sale and at the end of the day takes 10% or 15% of the selling price as the consignment commission for the sale. At end of day or show those who dropped off item to display can get their portion of the sale or their item back. Heck, I'd be willing to also fork over $5 per item just to be able to put it on the table also as it would get all that traffic.

April 6, 2012 10:43 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Is it a violation of the TOS?

By my reading "yes" it is infringement unless the poster has received permission from the photo owner.

TOS:

9. COPYRIGHT COMPLAINTS

9.1. Astromart respects the intellectual property of others, and we ask our users to do the same. Astromart may, in appropriate circumstances and at its sole discretion, terminate the access of users, subscribers, sponsors, advertisers, and account holders who infringe the copyright rights of others.

9.2. If you believe that your work has been copied and is accessible on the Astromart™ Service in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, or that any material posted on the Service contains links or other references to another online location that contains material or activity that infringes your copyright rights, you may notify Astromart by providing its designated copyright agent the information required by the Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”), 17 U.S.C. sec. 512.

9.3. Astromart’s™ agent for notice of claims of copyright infringement on or regarding this Web site can be reached as follows:

By mail:
Astromart
9969 Padilla Heights Road
Anacortes, WA 98221

By facsimile:
(360) 588-9100

By email:
astromart@ymail.com

WHAT NEEDS TO BE PROVIDED (per DMCA):

(i) A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

(ii) Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site.

(iii) Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material.

(iv) Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted.

(v) A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.

(vi) A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

April 10, 2012 10:48 AM Forum: Prayer Line

My Mother

Brian,

Remember two things through this...

1) Cancer is limited ... it cannot cripple love, it cannot shatter hope, it cannot corrode faith, it cannot eat away peace, it cannot destroy confidence, it cannot shut out memories it cannot silence courage, it cannot invade the soul, it cannot reduce eternal life, it cannot quench the spirit, and it cannot lessen the power of the Resurrection.

2) That you and your mom can every day, regardless of the circumstances of that day, share love, foster hope, support each other in faith, promote peace, build confidence, recall with joy memories, give each other courage, uplift your souls, pray for eternal life, enliven your spirits, and be reverent in the power of the Reurrection.

Don't give cancer the power it does not have. Always just focus on #2 as this brings all good things. God bless.

June 5, 2012 10:59 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Is it just me?

Hi Floyd smile All the clouds rolled in today to obscure the Venus transit...so not happy about that. But ok...I saw the last one luckily.

Converted my main-line eyepieces once more...this time to Pentax XWs and liking them much much better than anything I've had previous. Just working with the 40, 20, 14, and 10, then Barlowing for higher mags...keeps what I have to bring out to a minimum. Also "refining" my planetary collection a little...looked for a 7mm TMB Supermono but hard to find these days, so gave up and picked up a Pentax SMC Ortho instead for that slot. Glad I did...had forgotten how spectacular these eyepieces were. So now have the 8 AP-SPL, 7 SMC Or, 6 ZAO-II, and 5 XO. Have a 10 AP-SPL also but considering ditching that and replacing with a 4 ZAO-II instead, then maybe the 2.5x XO and will be done.

Also looking forward to getting the new Baader Classic Ortho set with turret and Barlow. Should be a fun little set.

btw - also pick up the Nikon 12x50 AE binoculars. OMG are they fantastic astro performers...and solar also with front filters.

June 18, 2012 06:34 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Cassini Division

Keith,

What an excellent observation and challenge! I figured I would give it a go with my 4" APO. Was a very interesting experience. At about 200x the CD was clearly visible until about 20 degrees of arc from the planet's orb on the back side of the rings, and maybe around 25-30 degrees from the planet's orb on the front side. Bumping the magnification up to 340x the CD was clearly visible completely on the back side of the rings. So was able to see it right up to where they vanished around the back of the planet. On the front side of the rings could clearly make it out right up to the point where it crossed the front of the planet, but not on the portion that was in front of the planet. My last bump in magnification was up to 400x. At this point the exit pupil was getting dim at only 0.25mm and this was working against me so less of the CD visible at that low exit pupil.

Was an interesting exercise since as I varied the magnification between 200x to 340x in different amounts, gradually more of the CD would become visible arcing around the rings. Interesting to see this happen and also another good validation that there is no such thing as "empty" magnification if you know where and what to look at on each target. One day soon will try this exercise with my 10" Newt since I will be able to sustain higher mags with better brightness to see if I can catch it entirely around front.

-Bill

July 4, 2012 11:08 AM Forum: Eyepieces

Zhummell 3mm EP

Joe,

For this magnification, lots of things need to be well controlled...such as your scope collimated well, the mirror thermally acclimated well, the target high in the sky, and most important the seeing stable and transparency good. These tend not to all come together easily.

I've had 400x and 500x and more perform very successfully with a 10" Dob. I would say that for now you use the 3mm for more forgiving targets (i.e., Glob Cores) and enjoy what it can do, then when all other conditions seem in place let it strut its stuff on lunar/planetary.

-Bill

October 5, 2012 08:13 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Animals are conscious, sentient beings.

George,

This is interesting to say the least. However, thier view of what consciousness is, seems rather limited based on what you posted, i.e., the capacity to exhibit intentional behaviors. Consciousness is an exceedingly complex topic, and has many meanings (http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/consciousness/).

I have no doubt that many animals, if not all, exhibit some level of consiousness. The real question becomes exactly what level and then what should that mean in our behavior towards them? And then, what would it mean if one day it is discovered that the plant kingdom possesses some rudimentary form of consciousness as well? What would be left to eat?

Sounds far fetched that a plant could meet the definition of consiuosness that your post references, directed behavior. But we do seem to see this in some species of plants. As this article states (http://articles.boston.com/2012-06-17/ideas/32231146_1_plants-carrot-human-behavior):

"In 2006, Penn State researchers demonstrated that the parasitic dodder vine can smell the difference between wheat and tomato plants. In 2007 a pair of Canadian researchers determined that plants can tell the difference between their own kin and strangers of the same species. “Plants have this kind of hidden but complicated social life,” one of the researchers told National Geographic News."

And here's another interesting discussion on the topic of what is consciousness and how low does it acually go in life forms: http://arcade.stanford.edu/sentient-plants-sentient-bacteria.

If we allow consciousness be the test to decide what we eat or not, we may just go extinct!