Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James C Chandler Jr

March 19, 2010 12:30 PM Forum: Pet Pics

Badder than a welding shop dog

Posted By James C Chandler Jr

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?s=12139979&clienttype=printable

UPDATE MONDAY, MARCH 15th 6 PM

CHATTANOOGA (WRCB) - A makeshift lock on a chain link fence was no match for the dog employees at Mann's Welding call Winston.

The 80-pound pit bull mix managed to break free Sunday. That's when Michael Emerling received a call from police.

"When they said he attacked a car," said Emerling, "I wasn't prepared for what I saw."

Winston chewed the front bumper of a patrol car completely off, bit through two tires, and left teeth marks in the side panel of the vehicle.

The Chattanooga Police Officer behind the wheel was clocking speed when Winston launched his attack.

The Officer was sitting in his car, filling out a report when he says the car began shaking. That's when he got out of the car and discovered the dog attacking his car.

The Officer used pepper spray, and then a stun gun but not even that could stop the dog.

"The dog apparently rolled over and started chewing on the prongs, pulling them out of his skin," said Officer Rebecca Royval, spokesperson for CPD, "then he kept going."

Royval says when back up arrived Winston then chewed the tires of the other patrol car.

Eventually the dog was captured by animal control officers, with the help of one of his owners.

"Obviously at some point yesterday he was not a nice dog," said Emerling, "but previous to that he was very sweet."

Emerling says Winston will occasionally show aggression toward lawn equipment, but has never hurt anyone.

March 25, 2010 05:05 PM Forum: Guns and Hunting Optics

PLR-16

Weather got sunny and warm last weekend and got a chance for another range trip with the PLR-16. Only got to try it once last fall before cold weather set in.

PLR-16 gives atavistic enjoyment, loud with a huge fireball. Minimal recoil.

On last fall's first trip, the PLR-16 fed good with the included Kel-Tec 10 round mag, but very poorly with a generic 30 rd mag the dealer threw in fer free.

On the first trip had tried about 150 rds and was beginning to wonder if it would be more than "close enough for rock'n'roll" accurate. Of course accuracy lies mostly in shooting skill. There is only so much an old klutz can expect from any firearm.

Had read that the Magpul PMAGs work well with the PLR-16. Got some PMAGs to try out (as shown in the pic). The PMAGs seem nice and not real expensive. The PMAGs come with a snap-on cap that keeps the lips of a loaded mag from spreading in storage, and keeps bullets from falling out and keeps dirt from getting in.

On last weekend's test, the PMAGs fed very well. Out of about 150 rounds, there were no failures to extract and only a couple of failures to feed. Much better than the first test and hopefully it will improve as the gun and mags break in.

On the first test, was trying a grip with the left hand wrapped around the mag well. The pistol is so long that it is impossible to lock the right-arm elbow with the left hand gripping the mag well. The stance seemed to account for mediocre accuracy the first time out.

The PLR-16 is rather front-heavy for a comfortable conventional two-handed pistol grip. However, that turns out much better. The shoulder strap can be adjusted so that the strap is pulled tight when both elbows are locked in a conventional two-handed pyramid pistol grip. The combination of strap tension and two-handed grip holds the front-heavy pistol very steady.

Firing at 50 foot target distance, was getting accuracy comparable to the old Mark II .22 slabside target pistol. That is better than what I can get from other 'larger caliber' pistols. Of course the PLR-16 isn't any bigger caliber than the .22 Mark II. Just louder and a faster bullet.

At 50 foot distance, could pretty reliably put 30 rounds into a circle about the diameter of an astromart coffee mug. Likely about as good as it will get, though as the gun breaks in and with a little practice perhaps it could marginally improve. Tis doubtful I'll ever be able to report "one big ragged hole" accuracy results.

March 26, 2010 02:23 AM Forum: Politics

Obama's Health Care Speech in Iowa City

After a zillion speeches on HC Reform, BHO finally gets his hobby horse.

Then what does he do? What? Burn multiple tons of jet fuel to fly off and give the [Nth + 1] speech on Healthcare Reform? Huh?

Do BHO's handlers believe that it is impossible to become over exposed? Or perhaps BHO so enjoys giving Healthcare Reform speeches that he'll just keep on making them forever?

April 2, 2010 02:35 PM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

Bad to the bone backhoe

Ok, this title also sounds urban. Here is a heck of a heavy-metal stunt. Video runs about 9 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=RobaJKGMMiE

April 14, 2010 04:18 PM Forum: Religion

Its Time to Turn, So You Don't Burn

Those unfortunates who do not live in the South may be unaware of John Boy and Billy's Big Show, a long-running music-and-comedy syndicated morning drive radio show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Boy_and_Billy

For whatever reason, these guys are hilarious early in the morning, but sometimes do not seem so funny later in the day.

One long-running skit is a call-in by "Reverend Billy Ray Collins from the Sword of Joshua Independent Full-Gospel Pentecostal Assmebly… Just off State Road 23 on the frontage road."

It is humor which I don't think is either mocking of the religious or offensive to the non-religious.

There have been many Billy Ray Collins skits over the years, but I can only find three examples on the web. Two YouTube recordings and a text transcription below. These examples are fairly representative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJFRGpm5p5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UXdxOct4ww

=== Text Transcription ===

WELL GOOD MORNIN' THERE JOHN BOY & BILLY -- AND GOOD MORNIN' TO ALL OUR BELOVED FRIENDS OUT THERE IN RADIO-LAND. THIS HERE'S THE REVEREND BILLY RAY COLLINS FROM THE SWORD OF JOSHUA INDEPENDENT FULL-GOSPEL PENTECOSTAL ASSEMBLY...JUST OFF STATE ROAD 23 ON THE FRONTAGE ROAD.

OUR 2005 VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL WAS A SATAN-SMASHIN' SUCCESS. ALTHOUGH, I DID GET SOME PHONE CALLS SAYIN' "PREACHER...YER BEIN' WAY TOO NARROW IN WHAT YOU TEACHIN THESE YOUNG'UNS." WELL... DON'T WORRY, SKEPTICS AND AGNOSTICATORS -- YER GETTIN' SOME EQUAL TIME OUT THERE IN THE MIDWEST. FELLER'S GOT A SUMMER CAMP SPECIALLY FOR...ATHEIST TEENAGERS. READ A STORY BOUT IT IN THE NEWSPAPER. LISTEN AT THIS:

"UNGODLY FUN: SUMMER CAMP FOR KIDS OFFERS MEALS WITHOUT GRACE, CAMPFIRES WITHOUT BLESSINGS, AND LIGHTS OUT WITHOUT PRAYERS."

SEE, THERE'S THE PROBLEM WITH KIDS TODAY: THEY'S JUST GETTIN' WAY TOO MUCH GOD. SO WELCOME TO "CAMP GO-TO-HELL." THAT'S A ATHEIST FER YA -- FIRST THEY KICKED GOD OUTTA THE SCHOOLS...NOW THEY'S TRYIN' TO KICK HIM OUTTA THE WOODS, TOO.

"ADVERTISED AS A FREE THINKIN' ENVIRONMENT, CAMP QUEST BOASTS THAT THE YOUNG PEOPLE WHO ATTEND WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY FOR FREE INQUIRY -- EXCEPT, OR COURSE, THE IDEA OF GOD WILL NOT BE PART OF THE EQUATION." SO MUCH FOR FREE-THINKIN'.

WE KNOW THE PARENTS HAS GOT PROBLEMS. WHY WOULD A KID WANNA GO TO ATHEIST CAMP? WELL... HERE'S WHAT ONE GIRL SAID: "I DIDN'T LIKE HAVING TO SAY A MILLION PRAYERS A DAY AT OTHER CAMPS."

LET'S SEE HERE: GOD IS GREAT...GOD IS GOOD LET US THANK HIM FOR OUR FOOD AMEN.

THAT TOOK PURT'NEAR 5 SECONDS. YEAH BOY...THAT'S A REAL KILLER. DO THAT FOR ALL 3 MEALS...YER WHOLE DAY IS SHOT!

THE FOUNDER OF "CAMP GO-TO-HELL- IS...BRACE YERSELF...A LAWYER. HE SEZ "WE TEACH CRITICAL THINKING. WE TEACH SCIENCE. WE TEACH EVOLUTION. WE HAVE A STRONG EMPHASIS ON SCIENTIFIC METHOD." IN OTHER WORDS...HE'LL HIT YER YOUNG'UN OVER THE HEAD WITH EVER'THING BUT THE TRUTH.

"AT THE OPENING CAMPFIRE CEREMONY, THE DIRECTOR ISSUED A SET OF CHALLENGES FOR CAMPERS TO RESPOND TO IN SKITS. ONE CHALLENGE: HELP RESIDENTS OF THE FARAWAY PLANET QUESTERION UNDERSTAND HOW LIFE ON EARTH CAME INTO BEING.
ANOTHER CHALLENGE: PROVE THAT THE TWO INVISIBLE UNICORNS IN RESIDENCE DO NOT EXIST.

THERE YA GO: QUESTERIONS AND INVISIBLE UNICORNS. NOW DON'T THAT SOUND REAL ENLIGHTENED AND SCIENTIFIC?

BUT THAT AIN'T ALL -- THE CHILDREN ALSO GET A WEEK OF SEMINARS THAT SALUTE FAMOUS ATHEISTS AND HUMANISTS LIKE MARGARET SANGER: THE FOUNDER OF PLANNED PARENTHOOD. ALBERT EENSTEEN: THE FELLER THAT WROTE THEORY OF RELATIVI-TISM.
AND TED TURNER...THE FELLER THAT STARTED CNN, THE COMM'ANIST NEWS NETWORK. WELL NOW -- MAKES THAT "MTV BEACH HOUSE- SOUND LIKE A BOOGER, DON'T IT?

THERE YA GO, JUNIOR HEATHERNS -- Y'ALL HAVE FUN SITTIN' AROUND TALKIN' BOUT THE GOOD OL' DAYS WHEN OUR TAILS FIRST FELL OFF. HAVE YOU A GOOD OL' FASHIONED SINGALONG LIKE "IF YER HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT BECAUSE OF A CHANCE COMBINATION OF INORGANIC CHEMICALS 4 BILLION YEARS AGO, CLAP YER HANDS!" BUT ONE DAY WHEN IT'S YOU INSTEAD OF A MARSHMELLER ON THE END OF THAT STICK...AND YER BEIIN' ROASTED ON THE DEVIL'S BONFIRE...DON'T SAY I DIDN'T TRY TO WARN Y'UNS!

BY THE WAY...I HOPE IT AIN'T RUDE FOR ME TO POINT OUT THAT THE ATHEISTS THERE AT "CAMP GO-TO-HELL" WILL BE GLAD TO TAKE YER MONEY...EVEN IF IT DOES HAVE "IN GOD WE TRUST" WROTE ON IT. BUT THE CHURCH IS THE ONE THAT'S FULLA HYPOCRITES.

I TELL YA, BELOVED -- THIS COUNTRY IS HEADED FOR SATAN'S RUMPUS ROOM FASTER'N OL' OKRA WINFREY GOIN' THRU THE LINE AT GOLDEN CORRAL!

IF YOU DON'T WANNA BE A PERMANENT RESIDENT OF CAMP GO-TO-HELL, COME ON OUT THIS SUNDAY MORNIN' FOR A DOUBLE-DOSE OF THE GOD'S HONEST TRUTH AT THE SWORD OF JOSHUA INDEPENDENT FULL GOSPEL PENTECOSTAL ASSEMBLY...JUST OFF STATE ROAD 23, ON THE FRONTAGE ROAD. THIS HERE'S THE REVEREND BILLY RAY COLLINS REMINDIN' Y'UNS IT'S TIME TO TURN...SO YOU DON'T BURN.

JOHN BOY & BILLY -- Y'ALL KEEP 'EM STRAIGHT UP THAR...

May 21, 2010 12:43 PM Forum: Politics

Is this how one spells "hypocrisy"?

Blitzer-Calderon video:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/watercooler/2010/may/20/video-calderon-illegals-mexico-we-send-them-back/

CNN Transcript:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1005/19/sitroom.01.html

BLITZER: All right. Let's talk a little bit about Mexico's laws. I read an article in "The Washington Times" the other day. I'm going to read a paragraph to you and you tell me if this is true or not true. This is from "The Washington Times": "Under the Mexican law, illegal immigration is a felony punishable by up to two years in prison. Immigrants who are deported and attempt to reenter can be imprisoned for 10 years. Visa violators can be sentenced to six year terms. Mexicans who help illegal immigrants are considered criminals."

Is that true?

CALDERON: It was true, but it is not anymore. We derogate or we erased that part of the law. Actually, the legal immigration is not a -- is not a crime in Mexico. Not anymore, since one year ago. And that is the reason why we are trying to establish our own comprehensive public policy talking about, for instance, immigrants coming from Central America...

BLITZER: So if...

CALDERON: -- (INAUDIBLE).

BLITZER: So if people want to come from Guatemala or Honduras or El Salvador or Nicaragua, they want to just come into Mexico, they can just walk in?

CALDERON: No. They need to fulfill a form. They need to establish their right name. We analyze if they have not a criminal precedent. And they coming into Mexico. Actually...

BLITZER: Do Mexican police go around asking for papers of people they suspect are illegal immigrants?

CALDERON: Of course. Of course, in the border, we are asking the people, who are you?

And if they explain...

BLITZER: At the border, I understand, when they come in.

CALDERON: Yes.

BLITZER: But once they're in...

CALDERON: But not -- but not in -- if -- once they are inside the -- inside the country, what the Mexican police do is, of course, enforce the law. But by any means, immigration is a crime anymore in Mexico.

BLITZER: Immigration is not a crime, you're saying?

CALDERON: It's not a crime.

BLITZER: So in other words, if somebody sneaks in from Nicaragua or some other country in Central America, through the southern border of Mexico, they wind up in Mexico, they can go get a job...

CALDERON: No, no.

BLITZER: They can work.

CALDERON: If -- if somebody do that without permission, we send back -- we send back them.

BLITZER: You find them and you send them back?

CALDERON: Yes. However, especially with the people of Guatemala, we are providing a new system in which any single citizen from Guatemala could be able to visit any single border (INAUDIBLE) in the south. And even with all the requirements, he can or she can visit any parts of Mexico.

BLITZER: I ask the questions because there's an argument that people in Arizona and New Mexico and -- and Texas, they say they're only trying to do in their states what Mexico itself does in the southern part of Mexico.

CALDERON: I know. And that is a very powerful argument. But that is one of the reasons why we are trying to change our policy.

And let me be frank, Wolf. In the past, Mexican authorities were in a -- in a -- in an unfortunate way in the treatment for immigrants. But now we are changing the policy. We changed already the law. And that is different today. We are trying to write a new story, talking about immigrants, especially coming from Central American countries.

May 30, 2010 02:43 PM Forum: Politics

June 29, 2010 03:19 PM Forum: Politics

Being called a...

SmartA** by a DumbA**

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl2882

August 4, 2010 04:50 PM Forum: Religion

Joke

A joke found on the internet--

A Priest, a Pentecostal Preacher, and a Rabbi all served as chaplains to the students of University of Minnesota Duluth.

They would get together two or three times a week for coffee and to talk shop. One day, someone made the comment that preaching to people isn't really all that hard. A real challenge would be to preach to a bear. One thing led to another and they decided to do an experiment. They would all go out into the woods, find a bear, preach to it, and attempt to convert it.

Seven days later, they're all together to discuss their experience.

Father Flannery, who has his arm in a sling, is on crutches, and has various bandages on his body and limbs, goes first. "Well," he says, "I went into the woods to find a bear. And when I found him I began to read to him from the catechism. Well, that bear wanted nothing to do with me and began to slap me around. So I quickly grabbed my holy water, sprinkled him and, Holy Mary Mother of God, he became as gentle as a lamb. The bishop is coming out next week to give him first communion and confirmation."

Reverend Billy Bob spoke next. He was in a wheelchair, with an IV drip in his arm, and both legs in casts. In his best fire and brimstone oratory he exclaimed, "WELL, brothers, you KNOW that we don't sprinkle! I went out and I FOUND a bear. And then I began to read to my bear from God's HOLY WORD! But that bear wanted nothing to do with me. So I took HOLD of him and we began to wrestle. We wrestled down one hill, UP another and DOWN another until we came to a creek. So I quickly DUNKED him and BAPTIZED his hairy soul. And just like you said, he became as gentle as a lamb. We spent the rest of the day praising Jesus."

The Priest and the Reverend both looked down at the Rabbi, who was lying in a hospital bed. He was in a body cast and traction with monitors and IV's running in and out of him. He was in real bad shape.

The Rabbi looks up and says, "Looking back on it, circumcision may not have been the best way to start..."

August 11, 2010 10:38 PM Forum: Guns and Hunting Optics