January 23, 2013 03:34 PM Forum: Politics

What is an assault weapon?

Posted By Louis Busby

Great link. Keep em comin.

February 1, 2013 07:48 PM Forum: Politics

I dare ya'

Posted By Louis Busby

Here's all I have to say about that.

I am an American. I’m 60 years old. I’ve served my country as an Army soldier for 30 years. I continue to work as a Government contractor supporting military operations worldwide. I continue to abide by my oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic.

I am a lawful gun owner. I have several handguns, a rifle and a shotgun. I own these guns primarily as self-protection and the protection of my loved ones. I am well trained in the use of my firearms and I practice shooting often.

As much as I am hopeful that our society eventually attains peace, equality, prosperity and freedom from crime, it is not there yet. There still exists amongst us those who would do us harm. Either purposefully or as a target of opportunity, evil doers will strive to make their way in the world at the expense of innocent, law abiding citizens who mean no harm to anyone.

It is for this reason and no other that I arm myself. I believe it is my ultimate responsibility to protect myself and the lives of those I love and care for. The law of the land says so and it is my right. I even extend my responsibility to others who find themselves undefended and in dire consequence. I cannot expect law enforcement to be everywhere all the time. I certainly don’t expect them nor depend on them to be at my side should I become a victim.

Whether in my home or on the street, I am prepared to meet any threat to myself or my loved ones with immediate and overwhelming force regardless of any implement of attack. I curse those who would seek to deprive me of this right and responsibility because it puts me and mine in peril. I continue to hope that those individuals redirect their energies where it does the most good -- to refine their own abilities to do the same for themselves and their loved ones.

March 12, 2013 01:56 PM Forum: Comets

Pan-Starrs

Posted By Louis Busby

Go to spaceweather.com realtime comet gallery. There's a bunch o photos there.

May 4, 2013 07:11 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Plastic Models?

Posted By Louis Busby

My Dad was into modelling. Eventually, I joined him and I think we built every Revell airplance kit together. After we exhausted the airplane line we graduated to sailing ships. If memory serves we finished the USS Constution at least three times, The Eastern, the Cutty Sark, HMS Vistory x 2, the Alabama and Kearsarge, the Thermopolae x 2, the Charles W. Morgan, The Atlantic Schooner and the Bluenose. The Bluenose was my first wood kit. I also built most of the AMC car kits. Other kits I remember were the see through V8 engine, some WWII battleships and a couple of aircraft carries and submarines. It was great fun and I enjoyed doing it with my Dad.

Of late, I've been thinking about returning to the hobby, only this time focusing on NASA rockets and spacecraft. I wish there was some observatory/telescope models. It would be a kick to build a replica of the Palomar Observatroy complete with the Hale 200" telescope. The Mt Wilson Observatory and Hooker 100' would be cool to. I think there may be a model of Keck, but I'm not sure.

May 14, 2013 05:51 PM Forum: Politics

Another Shoe About To Drop On Obama

Posted By Louis Busby

Impeach!!!

Dave Snope said:

joseph curl: CIA source says still one more shoe to drop. Yes, four shoes. Dead ambassador, tapped phones, IRS probes. Will it be worse? Can it be?!

Even as the IRS scandal rises to the top and widens to offices accross the U.S., and now includes the IRS leaking conservative group info to the media, I think that he missed a few. The coverup. The ongoing EPA abuse scandal. The Obama donors getting 80% of the DOE contracts, and the failed green company loans. The fed contractors required to reveal their donors. HHS selling Obamacare indulgences and HHS's Katherine Sibelius extorting money from the healthcare industry. Sending Libyan shoulder-launched missiles to the Al-Qaeda controlled Syrian fighters. Fast and Furious has almost disappeared under all this noise. Hmmm, I'm sure that I've missed a few but that is only from Dear Leader's current term.

There are currently five separate committee investigations into the attack on a U.S. diplomatic outpost in Benghazi, and a probe into Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius raising millions of dollars to promote Obamacare. Ways and Means is demanding answers to seven questions on this matter, as well.

All together, roughly one-third of House committees are engaged in investigating some aspect of the Obama administration.

Now Attorney General Holder has recused himself from leak probe related to the AP wiretaps.

August 18, 2013 02:53 PM Forum: Politics

Obamanation bs

Posted By Louis Busby

Charles R Genovese, Jr MD said:

http://www.examiner.com/article/report-obamacare-provision-will-allow-forced-home-inspections-by-gov-t-agents

They better bring a S.W.A.T. team if they come to my house.

When tyranny erupts, so too, my Will to preserve Liberty.

September 27, 2013 03:29 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

US/China Climate Deal

Posted By Louis Busby

Data from both sides of the global warming issue are so skewed and so benevolently political that I believe neither. Personally, I believe that man's impact on global climate change is negligeable, but that's just me.

Let's focus on something/anything a little closer to present day for a change and leave politics out of it.....but hey, that's just me.

November 15, 2013 06:59 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Estate Disposition

Posted By Louis Busby

I like the auction idea. I could certainly build an inventory and educate my wife as to the best starting reserve price for an item. Skipping the details of descriptions, my wife could simply list the item for auction "as is" with the caveot "well cared for". I've already created a database of my equipment with columns showing new price and suggested resale price based on condition. This would certainly provide her with a starting point for an auction reserve price, say minus 20-30% as a start.

Although the auction method does not guarantee an optimum price for an item, it does at least preserve some recoupable value for my heirs. I trust most on Astromart to know what a particular item is before bidding or they could do their own research. An example might be:

Takahashi TOA150FB Refractor Telescope OTA "as Is" but well taken care of. New Price: $11,400 Reserve: $7600 and let it go from there.

November 20, 2013 12:42 AM Forum: Politics

Obama’s Noble Lies - Stop worrying whether the pre

Posted By Louis Busby

I myself find very little fair and balanced reporting these days. So in order to gain balance I read from both sides rather than blatantly attack one or the other. Strangely, I find that the more conservative views are more in line with my personal thinking. I don't completely discount the liberal agenda, but rather try to make sense of it in order to gain perspective. I think we all can agree that there are over the top views from both sides. It serves us well to take a little from each in order to form our own opinions about the general nature of things especially politics. That said, I indeed believe in the values captured in the United States Constitution as authored by our Founding Fathers. For me to believe otherwise, sets me far apart fundamentally, from those things we hold dear as human beings in terms of basic human rights.

I posted Mr. Victor Davis Hanson's opinion, and of course that's what it is, because I found it rather thought provoking and I thought I would share it with this forum as a balanced approach to understanding the philosophy of our current President. You see, I believe in forming my opinion or my beliefs if you will, from a collection of information from those more learned than I and certainly my own life experiences. What I take away from Mr. Hanson's words is a description of his perceived President Obama's philosophy insomuch as it attempts to adhere to certain parts of Plato's description of society as Plato himself believes it should be. For those of you who salt their food before tasting it, I suggest you start with small bites and then season accordingly.