New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Louis Busby

June 17, 2019 10:20 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Cave Astrola GEM Restore

Posted By Louis Busby

Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer
You may be able to cut down an allen wrench (hex tool) short enough.....dremel tool etc.
Yep, I did just that and was able to loosen the hex nuts.  Once I got the one side done, I was able to shove the shaft far enough in the other direction to expose the hex nuts and remove them as well.  Problem is that the shaft will still not come out.  The collars on both ends are free wheeling and the shaft turns freely.  It looks like the collars are integral to the bearings.  I really don't want to force the bearings out.  I may never be able to re-insert them.

June 18, 2019 11:11 AM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Cave Astrola GEM Restore

Posted By Louis Busby

Seems that the RA shaft bearing are the sealed type.  Was advised that if the bearings are smooth and the shaft is sound just leave it be.  Guess I'll just prep the surface and rattle can it.  Was thinking powder coat, but that involves heat that may be detrimental the the bearings.  May still consider a Sodium BiCarb blast and zylotone paint.  

June 23, 2019 11:39 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Cave Astrola GEM Restore

Posted By Louis Busby

Originally Posted by Terry Atwood
I am trying to repair my leg levelers on an Astrola mount - anyone have an idea where I can find 3/8" replacements?

Terry Atwood
Post a pic.  I have the portable model with casters.  I also have levelers, but they don't look original.

June 23, 2019 11:41 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Cave Astrola GEM Restore

Posted By Louis Busby

Cave Astrola 10-inch restore is coming along.  However, the RA motor is toast.  Any clue on a replacement option?

June 24, 2019 03:10 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Cave Astrola GEM Restore

Posted By Louis Busby

I chased down this motor with Kramer, the company which took over Bristol Motors and the girl checked and said that it had been discontinued. I explained why I needed one, but she said after a search they could find no units in the building.

However, someone on Astro-mart advertised that they had some and I bought one from them. In New England, and the money was going to a non-profit. I'll look up that info. About two years ago as I recall.

It's a Bristol model 447, 1-rpm, with 1/8" shaft as I recall.

Terry Atwood
Thanks Terry.  I was fortunate that someone in the Vintage Telescope Facebook Group had one he's sending me.  I still would like to have the source for future though.

June 25, 2019 01:40 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Cave Astrola GEM Restore

Posted By Louis Busby

Cleaning up nicely.  Getting ready for paint.

June 25, 2019 04:31 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Cave Astrola GEM Restore

Posted By Louis Busby

I am looking for the info on the club which was selling some of the Bristol motors (new old stock) in New Jersey in 2016.
The little Boston gear on the shaft is difficult to find. I am looking for a couple of those for two Astrolas I have.

Terry
I'll let you know if I come across any sources during my rebuild.  I scored an RA motor from a FB post.  Ask the question in the Classic/Vintage Telescopes, Vintage Telescopes, and the Cave Astrola FB Groups.  You can try on C...N as well.  They have lots of Cave owners posting there.

June 27, 2019 03:09 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

June 27, 2019 05:25 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Cave Astrola GEM Restore

Posted By Louis Busby

Originally Posted by Darian Rachal
That looks very nice! smile
Thanks Darian.  I still need to soda blast the pier and pier legs then paint.  Then we start work on the clock drive.

July 10, 2019 02:37 PM Forum: Antique/Classic/Vintage Optical Instruments

Garage Find - Cave Astrola 10-Inch Deluxe

Posted By Louis Busby

Originally Posted by Richard Oberg

If you ever decide to part with this baby please let me know - I'm missing a 10" in the collection and this would probably be within driving distance.
Roger that!