Posts Made By: charles geiger

September 22, 2009 08:35 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

HD Edge

Posted By charles geiger

I have seen the adds and haven't heard anything in the forums yet. It appears the new design incorporates a stronger corrector and a new two element corrector placed in the baffle tube. Does anyone have any insight into this design? They say it is aplanatic and will produce a coma free as well as flat field over a 35 mm format at the normal focal plane. Any comments or any units in use yet?

November 14, 2010 08:18 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Baader 0III & UHC Filters

Posted By charles geiger

I see the Baader 2" OIII and UHC filters are about $100.00 each. Are they as good as Lumicon? Do they fit most 2" eyepieces (threads)?

December 31, 2010 03:09 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Focal Reducers

Posted By charles geiger

I have had a C-14 since 1977 when I bought it new. I have never purchased a focal reducer for it. I am wondering if anyone produces a descent focal reducer/field flattener which utilizes the full light cone produced by the C-14? The Celestron and Meade focal reducers appear too small and, I would think, cause vignetting in the bigger scopes.

March 27, 2011 01:12 AM Forum: Eyepieces

17 or 21 Ethos

Posted By charles geiger

I have a C14 and have several oculars. I seem to get more bang for the buck using a 32mm erfle than a 40mm Konig (both 2"). I have a Pentax 10.5XL and a Meade UW14mm. These two eyepieces usually need very steady atmosphere and stable tube currents.

My wish would be for a 17 or 21 ethos. Would either be a good choice for a C14? I want good contrast and good definition and wide field...Does anyone have experience with the ethos in a C14 and is it worth it?

May 2, 2011 01:35 AM Forum: Eyepieces

21 Ethos and 31 Nagler?

Posted By charles geiger

I have broached this before but never really got an answer. I have a C-14 and want to know if purchasing a 31 Nagler and a 21 Ethos would be a good idea. I find a 32 mm erfle gives me better resolution than a 40 mm MK70. I want wide field and good resolution. Before I plunge, I would like your input. And are the images across the field in these two eyepieces with a C-14 good?

December 10, 2011 10:01 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

C-14 Eyepieces, Etc.

Posted By charles geiger

I have an old Orange Tube I bought new 1977. It has the original giant diagonal. I have been thinking about 3 eyepieces...a 31Nagler, a 21 ethos, or a 20 Explore Scientific 100. I have a few questions...I have not had an issue with field curvature with eyepieces I have...if I go to any of these will I have problems with field curvature for visual?...will a f/6.3 reducer/corrector work with the old giant diagonal and would it help flatten things out with the above eyepieces? Would the Lumicon giant guider reducer lens be a better bet and does it flatten the field too? I have a 32 mm erfle but I would like higher power with a larger field.
Would it be worth it to get a 21 ethos over a 20 ES 100 for this scope?
Your opinions would be greatly appreciaed...
Twenty Questions..

October 15, 2010 05:59 AM Forum: Eyepieces

New Product Announcement

Posted By charles geiger

With the popularity of 3-D and IMAX cinema, does Flurry Optics see prospects for a 360 degree torus shaped sustainable methane filled sugar coated ocular?...possibly called the "Krispy-Clean"? I would be interested to know if your R&D has considered these possibilities...and what model feathertouch microfocuser would you recommend?

I suspect these Krispy-Cleans could be readily sold by the dozen.

Risk management should be consulted though, as eye strain, rapid weight gain, and neck injury might be a liability issue.

In closing, I would like to introduce the concept of the audio ocular...cloud zappers not needed!

September 14, 2014 02:06 AM Forum: After Dark

RE: Do We Live In a 3-D World... or a 2-D Hologram

Posted By charles geiger

So how does this effect string theory and/or the implication we live in as many as 11 dimensions all of the others rolled up into areas so small we can't perceive? Seems like we are going from several to 2...What gives?

November 9, 2015 02:42 AM Forum: Refractors

Lunt ED 80mm f/7 telescope any good?

Posted By charles geiger

George Krumins said:

Hi All, I am looking for an ED APO in the 80mm size and I have noticed that one of the less expensive ones is made by Lunt. Does anyone have experience with this telescope and is it comparable to other 80mm ED telescopes?

I also notice that despite photos showing a diagonal one is not included. However, I already have a 2-inch diagonal so that is not so much of an issue. Can you buy this scope with an included diagonal?

February 14, 2020 04:42 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Looking for Nexstar hand control bracket (JMI)

Posted By charles geiger

I am looking for a Nexstar hand control bracket (JMI) type in metal.  Let me know if you have one for sale and your price.  Thank you