Posts Made By: John Agnew

November 15, 2008 07:30 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Zebras

Posted By John Agnew

This isn't the wilds of Africa, but rather "The Wilds" in Ohio, a 13,000 acre outdoor zoo. Antelopes, zebra, rhinos, giraffe, etc., run "free" on the fenced grounds. Visitation in the summer months, by open-sided bus.
Thanks for looking,
John

November 17, 2008 07:54 PM Forum: Religion

Physical evidence of Jesus

Posted By John Agnew

Discussion on the discovery of the bones of "James brother of Jesus" in Israel a few years ago,
Right now on NPR (3:08 EST)

November 19, 2008 01:19 PM Forum: Religion

Biblical Archaeology on Nova

Posted By John Agnew

This week's Nova program on PBS was about Biblical archaeology and how the history written in the bible squares with the physical evidence. It centers on the chronology of the Israelite's presence in Canaan, and when the books of the bible were written--and by who. Verrrry interesting. For example, It appears that Joshua could not possibly have conquered all of the cities of Canan the Bible says he did, as the physical evidence shows some cities were destroyed (or not) hundreds of years apart. The show is not about disproving the Bible, so don't get your dander up until you've seen it.
Check your local listings, it should be on again. We have 3 PBS stations available on our cable, so Nova gets rerun a couple of times a week here. It should be available for viewing on the PBS website soon (not yet-I checked)
Did anyone else see it last night?

November 20, 2008 02:42 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Small but beautiful

Posted By John Agnew

I was thinking of posting this as a mystery bird to see if anyone would recognize it, but since it's a foreigner, that wouldn't be fair. This is a Wire-Tailed Manakin, photographed in the Amazon jungle of northeastern Peru. It is sparrow-sized, and it's call sounds like someone clicking two marbles together. These birds do an incredible mating dance/display reminiscent of Michael Jackson's "moonwalk." Thanks for looking.

November 24, 2008 12:46 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Antler camo

Posted By John Agnew

I saw these elk resting in the tall grass among some dead trees, and it struck me that antlers can be camouflage, too.
Taken in Yellowstone a couple of years ago.

November 26, 2008 02:17 PM Forum: Religion

Anybody out there?

Posted By John Agnew

Testing, testing, is there a god?

November 26, 2008 03:27 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Rare Croc

Posted By John Agnew

This is the False Gavial (Tomistoma schlegeli), one of the rarest crocodilians. They occur across southeast Asia, this one was photographed in Borneo. They prefer peat swamps, or swamp forests, but also occur along jungle streams. They get big... this one was over 5 meters long, but are not known to prey on humans. They have no commercial value in that their skin has boney ossicles in the scales, making the leather useless. Nevertheless, interested croc farm owners in Malaysia and Thailand are the only breeders of the this species.

December 1, 2008 05:33 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Mule deer

Posted By John Agnew

Here's a pair of young mule deer hiding in the grass while mom grazes nearby. This is an old apricot orchard in Fremont Canyon of Capitol Reef National Park.
Thanks for looking.

December 1, 2008 05:38 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Canyon blooms

Posted By John Agnew

Sticking with the canyon theme, here's some saltbush (I think) against pink sandstone. This is in Cohab Canyon in Capitol Reef National Park.

December 2, 2008 02:48 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Dying thunderstorm

Posted By John Agnew

I took this on a late summer afternoon in Canyonlands National Park (Utah), watching this storm collapse in on itself and fall to earth as rain. A combo of 2 shots. The sky cleared up for a spectacular Milky Way show later that evening.