My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John Agnew

February 2, 2009 03:26 PM Forum: Politics

Re: Finally an honest liberal

Posted By John Agnew

The government does not need to take action to limit population. Nature will do it all by itself, and we won't have much to say about it. The more crowded the world becomes, the more likely it is that we will experience wars, famines, & pandemics. This is a simple law of nature, and we are not exempt.
When will there be an honest conservative who admits there are physical limits to human population on Earth? Either we deal with it or Mother Nature will, and she'll be pissed.

February 2, 2009 06:41 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

The last thing the frog saw

Posted By John Agnew

A Great Blue Heron from a frog's eye point of view. No I wasn't snorkeling, I merely photographed his reflection and flipped it over. Too bad the heron wasn't in a clearer spot. The out of focus foliage in the foreground detracts from the effect.

February 5, 2009 06:48 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Black & White Warbler

Posted By John Agnew

I saw this little guy pulling a larva of some sort from the cypress bark. Photographed in Corkscrew Swamp near Naples, Florida. I used a Nikon D80 with a Nikkor 18-135zoom.

February 7, 2009 03:05 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Blue-Gray Gnat-catcher

Posted By John Agnew

This gnatcatcher was traveling in the same feeding group as the warbler in the previous thread. He hung out in front of me for several moments, but moved about so quickly he was hard to catch! They are drab to look at, but very active and interesting to watch.

February 7, 2009 03:12 PM Forum: Religion

The Pope's New Bishops

Posted By John Agnew

Pope Benedict was in the news recently for two questionable appointments. One was the reinstatement of a schismatic bishop who was quoted as saying that there is no evidence of gas chambers in German WWII concentration camps and that there was no Jewish Holocaust. Predictably, Jewish leaders and even the German Chancellor are pretty ticked off. Then he appointed a man as bishop in Austria who was quoted as saying that Hurricane Katrina was a direct result of the sinful nature of New Orleans.
What gives with this pope? Looks to me like he is failing as a spiritual leader and as a politician!

February 11, 2009 07:35 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Anhinga

Posted By John Agnew

This is what I look like after a long night at the telescope.
Actually, it's an anhinga, photographed at Anhinga Trail, Everglades National Park.
Shot on a Nikon D80, with a Sigma 70-300 zoom.
Thanks for looking.
John

February 17, 2009 01:10 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

creatures of the underworld

Posted By John Agnew

A blind crayfish from southern Kentucky. This was seen in a pool inside "Rabid Fish Cave." I hope you appreciate this picture, because I had to crawl a long way to get it, dragging my Pelican camera case and tripod. Yes, you are allowed to question my sanity, as I am doing today, nursing all the bruises and sore muscles.

February 17, 2009 04:04 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Rabid Fish Cave

Posted By John Agnew

Here are some shots taken in Rabid Fish Cave, a scenic entrance in a big canyon that contains Buck Creek, in Pulaski County, Kentucky. See the "Insects" forum above for shots of creatures in this cave.

February 18, 2009 01:59 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

White Ibis

Posted By John Agnew

I caught this one on the wing in the late evening sun. Photographed at Everglades National Park in January with a Nikon D80, Nikkor 18-135mm zoom.

February 26, 2009 07:19 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Black Vulture

Posted By John Agnew

Attractive bird, don't you think? Photographed last month in Everglades National Park.