Posts Made By: John Agnew

August 11, 2011 11:04 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Wild flowers

Posted By John Agnew

Nice! Where is this?

August 23, 2011 07:30 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Earthquake

Posted By John Agnew

Andreas Saldivar said:

Anyone else feel the Earthquake? That was about as big as you get in the Mid-Atlantic. At my work it shook for about 15 seconds. It was classic too. We first felt the the compression waves, which shook mildly. Then there was about a 1 second lull before the more violent sine waves came. Since there appears to be no damage, I'm thinking it was pretty neat.

Andreas

We felt it in Cincinnati! I was swaying on my second floor. The epicenter was in Virginia, a 5.9 quake, and very shallow. Maybe that's why it was felt over such a wide area.

September 24, 2011 07:23 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Troops Burn Houses, Kill Child In Name of Global W

Posted By John Agnew

Gee, do you suppose these sorts of atrocities have ever been committed on the behalf of oil companies? Is this supposed to discredit the science of GW? :S

September 29, 2011 03:00 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

The most hated person of GW environmentalists -

Posted By John Agnew

Russ Carroll said:

is not George Bush or Sarah Palin, or even Michael Crichton. It may well be environmentalist Bjorn Lomborg. Ironically, Dr. Lomborg, a former greenpeace activist, does not deny the existence of man-made environmental warming of the globe, but insists that the impact that it is and probably will have are being greatly exaggerated by fear-mongers with agenda's.

Further, he claims that the hysteria surrounding the debate has push nearly all useful funding to address the problem off to the side, with incredibly expensive and basically useless initiatives, like the Kyoto accord and Cap and Trade, undermining worldwide efforts to improve living conditions around the globe.

I just watched his 2010 documentary called "Cool It" and was pretty surprised at not only his assertions, but the consensus assessment of scientists as to the actual impact of climate change as viewed by the IPCC.

A scientist at Princeton's IAS summed up my personal frustration with this issue - that science has been hijacked by alarmists and catastrophizers surrounding the issue and bad policy is the result.

I encourage anyone here to seek out this film and watch it for yourself. It seems persuasive and is at a minimum thought-provoking.

I would add that oil companies, deniers and opportunistic politicians (on both sides) have also hijacked the science. Get rid of political hysteria, and there could be a useful discussion of the actual science.