New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Anthony Allsobrook

August 9, 2002 12:19 AM Forum: Telescope Making

How does one treat a cardboard tube?

Posted By Anthony Allsobrook

Fellow ATMers

I have a nice 80/1200 lens in a metal cell and I have a cardboard tube about 4 inches in diameter and with a wall thickness of about 1/8th of an inch, which I wish to use for a telescope tube. It needs to be made strong, very stiff, totally waterproof and painted attractively.

I have thought of painting the cardboard with a thinned 2 pot epoxy preparation (like that used on timber for construction of boats) and then having it spray painted.
Has anyone had success with a similar cardboard tube? How did you handle it??

Yes, I know I could spend megabucks on a nice CNC metal tube but there is a certain satisfaction to be had in shoestring budgeting.

Anthony

January 23, 2003 07:06 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Observers Desert Island Eyepiece Choice

OK, I know that I am guilty of owning far too many eyepieces (am I allowed to say that on this site?) and I know that this is a thread which has been visited before, but opinions do change. So for your DESERT ISLAND choice ... if you were to choose just ONE BRAND of eyepiece for ALL TYPES of observing (double stars, DSOs, planetary,
lunar etc.) what would you choose?

I guess that we are looking for the best COMPROMISE in contrast, resolving power, transmission and ease of viewing (have I left something out?). I use 6" Newtonian, 10" SCT and 4" Widefield telescopes.

My eyepiece choice would be the Pentax XL set. Beautiful wide-angle 65* field, sharp across the field, high contrast, minimum kidney-beaning and just LUXURIOUS to look through (minimum fatigue = better observations (perhaps?)).

I have deliberately posted this in the "Observing" rather than "Equipment Talk" forum since I would like to emphasise the OBSERVING aspect ... so I would like to IGNORE the size, weight, build quality and cost of the eyepieces.

So what's YOUR choice?

August 17, 2003 04:59 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Spectacular sunspot group

G'day

With everyones attention directed towards Mars, has anyone been keeping an eye on the sun? There's a really spectacular sunspot group at present. I spent a pleasant Sunday afternoon checking it out.

Then Mars again at 1 am ...

Anthony
41°S 175°E

August 19, 2003 01:00 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

The RIGHT pencil

OK you guys, having problems with those sketches? You do need just the RIGHT pencil. Well, here's a tip from Downunder ... try using the Staedtler Mars Lumograph

August 22, 2003 09:03 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Diemos and Phobos

Has anyone tried to observe these? What's the minimum 'scope that will do it?

September 22, 2003 09:02 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Wooden tripod for GP

Hi All

I have a nice Vixen GP DD mount with a wooden tripod. It handles my 4" Apogee Widestar nicely ... however I have an Intes MN66 arriving soon and methinks a beefier tripod will be needed. The GP will be at its limit handling a 36" long tube 7-8" in diameter, especially if there is a light wind. What I am wanting to do is build an even more solid wooden tripod. I have good woodworking equipment so that is no problem.

Can anyone perhaps suggest a source for a GOOD DESIGN? Preferably one that has been built and tested. A web site would be really good.

I am hoping that the GP will be up to the task provided the tripod is more robust. At this stage I will only be using the combo visually.

Thanks in anticipation ...

Anthony

November 14, 2003 04:48 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Adapter from 2" - 0.965" directly

Is there a manufacturer who makes a compression adapter to attach a 0.965" EP directly to a 2" focuser (ie without using two nested adapters)?? I have several 0.965" Orthos and it would be nice to cut down the number of adapters in the light path and improve the alignment and the sharpness of the images which these exquisite wee eyepieces are able to give.

If no one makes them, perhaps we could send a request to a manufacturer who makes small production runs. Is anyone perhaps interested in tweaking their system?

Anthony

December 15, 2003 08:16 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Geodesic dome - what shape?

I am looking at building an observatory with a dome of some sort, which I prefer to build myself. I have been thinking along the lines of a first level geodesically expanded dodecahedron.

Am I on the right track? Can anyone point me to good literature please.

Thanks.
Anthony

January 25, 2004 03:38 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Interesting Books in 2004

Since we all have an interest in Astronomy and people often have several similar interests, I thought it might be fun to swap a short reading list of books that we have really enjoyed reading over the past year. Not only books on astro stuff, but especially books on non-astro too.

Here are two books which I particularly enjoyed:

1. "Newton's Tryanny" by Clark and Clark subtitled "The suppressed scientific discoveries of Stephen Gray and John Flamsteed". An absolutely amazing read. You won't be able to put it down. "<>"

2. "The Dinosaur Heresies" by Robert Bakker. This book was Published in the late eighties but I have only just come across it at one of my favourite places - second hand book store. Reviewed at http://www.dinox.freeserve.co.uk/reviews/revdinher.htm
"<>"

So what gems did you come across? Choice of subject completely open.

January 25, 2004 03:46 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Interesting books in 2004

Since we all have an interest in Astronomy and people often have several similar interests, I thought it might be fun to swap a short reading list of books that we have really enjoyed reading over the past year. Not only books on both astro stuff, but especially non-astro too.

Perhaps not everyone reads the "Off Topic Discussions" Forum so I thought I would refer you to the thread from here. Please post replies on the thread on the "Off Topic Discussions" Forum and not here.

Thanks.