Roberto Garofalo

North America & Pelican Maped color

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Chuck Cunningham

July 19, 2011 10:07 AM Forum: Sports

Anybody Watch the Women's World Cup Soccer Match?

Posted By Chuck Cunningham

Not to put Japan down, but it was one of those games where the team that was clearly better did not win. The U.S. dominated every facet of the game -- except putting the ball in the goal. The two U.S. goals were on classic, well-executed plays. The U.S. basically gave Japan its first goal by committing the basic mistake of not clearing the ball from in front of the goal. I didn't get a real good look at the goal Japan scored off of its corner kick. It's a little unusual to sneak one in around the near post like that.

The U.S. really choked in the shoot-out. The Japanese goalie made a miraculous save after she completely overran the ball. Hope Solo made a good save for the U.S. That should have been all that was required. Congratulations to Japan for not giving up in a game that should have been over after the first thirty minutes.

August 16, 2011 09:40 AM Forum: Politics

Perry President Defines Treason

Hmmm...funny thing...two thirds of the jobs created were in the public sector.

August 16, 2011 03:06 PM Forum: Politics

Fixing Health Insurance - One Step Program

"You shouldn't be totally screwed because you got a disease, your parents got a disease, you have a baby, or you get old. That's ridiculous"

I happen to agree, but then I don't think that health care can be simply treated like a supply-and-demand-driven commodity, or a "discretionary" expense. However, as opposed to your attitude, many others take a "me against the world" attitude and argue that "I shouldn't be totally screwed because you got a disease, your parents got a disease, you have a baby, or you get old." Of course, they may feel differently when they become the old or sick ones.

September 1, 2011 04:23 PM Forum: Religion

Quick poll (Works or Grace)

If you have really fallen down badly on the WORKS side, isn't your lack of sincerity going to trip you up on the GRACE side?

September 7, 2011 09:22 AM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Should have sent Boy Scouts...

Russ Carroll said:

http://www.nctimes.com/news/national/article_7fd7c0ff-035f-5b5f-bd00-155bc737ec91.html

What ever happened to "Leave only footprints, take only memories"??? 8)

Way back when I did a lot of hiking, we used to joke that it was impossible for a Boy Scout Troop to get irrecoverably lost because all you had to do to find them was to follow the trail of candy wrappers.

September 20, 2011 09:40 AM Forum: Sports

Musical Conferences

I have to say I preferred the PAC-12 format (for football) where every team in the conference played every other team every year. No luck of the draw. No playoff. I was passing through the El Paso airport in May of 2010 when talk of Texas teams joining the PAC-12 had just started. The Texas newspapers thought it was the biggest joke they had ever heard. They wondered why any Texas team would ever stoop to joining the PAC. I guess times change. Well, maybe not; it is strictly mercenary, after all.

September 20, 2011 03:31 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Satanic Verses

I tried reading Rushdie, and I'm afraid I found it as you describe. I concluded that, if you can create a big enough controversy, you can sell books no matter what you write. I suspect that many who loudly supported him never read his books; it was just politically fashionable to speak favorably of him. Do I think he should be put on a death list? Well, if we started killing all boring authors...

October 6, 2011 03:39 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Where do the mountain lions live in Seattle?

I have never seen one myself, but it is not unusual to hear of sightings, mainly in the hills to the east of the metropolitan area.

The scariest encounter I think I have had was in front of my house at about 2AM. The biggest German Shepherd I ever saw -- must have weighed at least 120 -- came rambling down the street off leash, no owner in sight (at first), and looked like he wanted to pretty thoroughly check me out. About the time I was getting really nervous, a policeman comes down the street some distance behind the dog and tells me not to worry: the dog was just a member of the K9 corp on a night training exercise. Would not want to get caught by that puppy!

October 20, 2011 11:30 AM Forum: ASTRONOMY

MLO training in Seattle fights light pollution

I don't know if this is related, but just in the last couple weeks they have replaced all the street lights in my neighborhood in Seattle. I don't know what kind of lights the new ones are, but they do seem a lot less intrusive. Haven't had my telescope out yet to see if they make much difference.

October 21, 2011 12:25 PM Forum: Politics

Where is the logic in this?

What makes you say that the Dems are in control of the Senate? The measure was "defeated" in a 50-50 vote. If we were operating according to the Constitution, the Vice President would have cast the deciding vote. As long as we are working under the requirement of a super majority instead of the simple majority -- as layed out originally -- the Repubs are in control of the non-operation of the Senate -- they just don't have to take any responsibility for it.