My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Chuck Cunningham

February 13, 2009 01:22 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Current Gas Usage Decrease, Will it Make a Differe

Posted By Chuck Cunningham

If there is already a sufficient volume of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere to increase the temperature of the planet, we are going to have global warming unless we reduce emissions to below the rate at which they are removed. In other words, we are probably already beyond the "tipping point". In my opinion, there is no concievable way, at this point, to prevent having to deal with the impacts of global warming. At best -- and we are far from operating that way -- we might slow it down a little.

February 13, 2009 03:58 PM Forum: Politics

Some here are a bit early

Personally, I wouldn't call tanking the entire economy and handing out $350 billion to your buddies with no accountability on your way out the door (after giving them a $1.6 trillion tax cut) an "easy" transition compared to removing the W on keyboards and leaving a large budget surplus.

February 26, 2009 12:05 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Black Vulture

A bird only a mother could love. Oh, sorry: maybe that IS the mother! Nice picture!

March 4, 2009 02:33 PM Forum: Politics

Re: Master Chef Obama

"Conservatism as a philosophy will be around to balance liberalism forever."

I absolutely agree. And a good thing, too. Too bad fiscal conservatism wasn't there when we needed it. And whose fault was that?

March 5, 2009 08:48 AM Forum: Investment Discussions

Individual Stocks and RISK

I don't know. An indexed fund right now looks like having your ankle tied to a boat anchor.

March 5, 2009 01:27 PM Forum: Politics

Re: Obama resisted by Democrats

You would have preferred, maybe, that he hire top talent from the private sector, like the CEO of Washington Mutual, or GM, or AIG?

March 10, 2009 11:53 AM Forum: Politics

Re: Wikipedia turns into political rag

The "eligibility issue" was a complete fabrication, and never belonged on Wikipedia or anywhere else, except maybe as an illustration of the length to which some people were willing to go to smear Obama. On the other hand, GW having alcohol problems, and GW pulling strings to dodge the draft and then ducking out of service were real. The alcolhol, he apparently got over. That's not weasy, and I can admire him for that. But the way he dodged the draft -- not so much that he did it, but the way that he did it -- was dishonorable, and reflects on his character, and deserves to be part of his record. That's not "liberal bias"; it's just the truth. Of course, any truth you don't like is "liberal bias".

March 11, 2009 08:44 AM Forum: Politics

Re: The Great Obama Depression

Jim: Could you give us a short list of these "many good ideas" so that we can see what you are talking about, and maybe evaluate them? You know, a "positive" contribution?

March 11, 2009 03:34 PM Forum: After Dark

Discovery Launch Tonight

Don't get to witness any launches here in Seattle, but I once serendipitously caught a shuttle either coming in to dock with the ISS or just pulling away. I only confirmed it after the fact, otherwise I probably would have become a UFO believer. It was awesome. Two impressively bright objects moving in close formation across the sky. Definitely not airplanes. I always find that the ISS, because it is so bright, looks like it's flying pretty low.

March 13, 2009 03:38 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Request to remain on-topic !!!!

Personally, I don't do any imaging. I'm just here to look at the pictures, not read the articles.