My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ivan Gastaldo

February 6, 2004 05:53 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

NAGLER 31mm & 10" LX-200GPS

Posted By Ivan Gastaldo

Well, here is a question for the GURUS out there...
I'm seriously thinking about getting the HOLY GRENADE..., but the question is:

Considering I currently have a 40mm UO MK-70 (70 degrees)eyepiece (which I love), and the PLEIADES (M45) will NOT fit on the FOV. Will they fit on the NAGLER's FOV (being a wider FOV, but higher mag eyepiece)?

Scope is F/10, 2500mm F/L.

Thanks for your attention, and clear skies to all!

Ivan
smile

February 25, 2004 08:03 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Re: Flag Scope

Posted By Ivan Gastaldo

Great Job!
Congrats on a beautiful scope!

Ivan
smile

March 8, 2004 08:36 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter. tonight... 03-08-2004, what a beauty!

Posted By Ivan Gastaldo

It's been a little while since I took my last shot...
Work has been really busy, and have not had much of a chance to use the scope...
Tonight the skies were somewhat clear, but the seeing was very steady... I had to take the scope out & image Jupiter.
I was amazed at the wealth of detail that this amazing planet was showing tonight... I spent a good 2 1/2 hours on it, just enjoying the views... beautiful!

Here's a sample of what I saw tonight..., hope you'll like it.
Comments are always welcome...

Clear skies my friends!

Ivan
smile

March 9, 2004 07:15 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Herb... just an FYI...

Posted By Ivan Gastaldo

http://www.astromart.com/messages.asp?message_id=183348&page=3

March 11, 2004 05:14 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter 03/10/04... @... f/20 & f/30

Posted By Ivan Gastaldo

Here's a humble sample of last night's Jupiter at 2 different focal lengths... GRS was transiting, and was a beautiful sight as usual...

Clear skies, my friends!

Ivan
smile

March 12, 2004 07:58 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: good webcam planet under poor seeing condition

Posted By Ivan Gastaldo

Eric, anything is possible...

What you might want to do is capture as many & long movies as possible, and after checking them out to define which one is the best one, then you can "Cherry Pick" your BEST frames with Registax & then combine them to get a GOOD final shot...

It is hard to tell how good or bad it will be until you try it, but it's the only way to find out.

No matter what, being out there looking at the planets and playing with your equipment sure beats being inside the house, watching Cartoon Network... LOL!

Take care, and good luck!

Ivan
smile

March 24, 2004 04:56 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: Jupiter and Saturn

Posted By Ivan Gastaldo

Eric, keep it up my friend...

These are good shots, not perfect, as you said, since the seeing was not cooperating, but you've captured lots of detail for such poor conditions...

Thanks for sharing,

Ivan
smile

March 26, 2004 11:39 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

When BIG is just TOO BIG... (long)

Posted By Ivan Gastaldo

Please don't get me wrong... this is just meant to be a constructive thought...

Well, I've been thinking about this one for a while, and decided to drop a line (well, several actually...), specially for the ones that are just getting into Astrophotography and/or Webcam Imaging...

I'm no expert at all, I started not too long ago, and I've learned much in this little time..., specially after watching/talking/editing/taking shots along with imaging experts here...

As with visual observing, we must understand that scopes and "seeing" work together, and we must know the limitations, not only of our equipment, but also the ones that atmospheric conditions drop on us.

It is surely awesome to see very large scale pictures, when the equipment/seeing allow for such, the images present detail that it is simply amazing... and it is GREATLY APPRECIATED...

But, there are times in which those images are just WAY TOO LARGE, and the detail gets lost in the process, most likely because the seeing conditions or the equipment simply could not handle the magnification requested... or the person just did not know how to process the final image accordingly and blew it out of proportion...

BIGGER is not necessarily BETTER, we must learn to BALANCE the different aspects of Astrophotography in order to get a fine & well resolved image at the end...

Like when you visually view a planet, you start with lower mag and push to higher mags until you start seeing breakdown, then you step back to the one that gives you the best image for the seeing conditions. The same is for imaging, you go f/10, f/15, f/20, f/25, f/30.... too much? then step back to the best possible combination... 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480, 352x288... same, drop size if too much...

Any thoughts?

Clear skies!

Ivan
smile

P.S.
Again, please don't get me wrong, this is just meant to be a constructive criticism... specially for the New Imagers, but not geared to anybody in particular...
This is just based on personal experience, and I'm trying to pass it along to all the ones that could use it...

March 28, 2004 02:04 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

My Triple Transit...

Posted By Ivan Gastaldo

Jupiter was very low and almost on top of my neighbors roof... I could NOT focus accuratedly no matter what I tried... SIGH...

Oh well, as a consolation we were lucky enough to see it, and well, we can still do it again, 13 years from now... LOL!

Clear skies!

Ivan
smile

Equipment: 10" LX-200GPS, shot at f/20, Vesta Pro 675k webcam, 1000 frames stacked with Registax.

March 28, 2004 10:38 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

SMALL Triple-Transit Sequence...

Posted By Ivan Gastaldo

Being in the Eastern Side of USA, the Triple Transit was in a tough position to begin with...
It was very low in the sky already, and seeing was getting worse by the minute. Not to mention this was just a few feet from my neighbors roof, which was no help either!
smile

This sequence was from about 3:10am EST to about 4:10am EST, then it was just too close to my neighbors roof to image anything! (you can see the effects of BAD seeing as the sequence progresses...)

Anyways, glad to be able to see it, and glad to be able to share...

Clear skies!

Ivan
smile

P.S.
From left to right, top to bottom...