My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Russ Carroll

March 15, 2022 04:48 AM Forum: Politics

Nike Introduces New Shoes to Honor our Current President

Posted By Russ Carroll

Well, I see that cease fire lasted about as long as the Russian's did.

March 25, 2022 02:55 AM Forum: Politics

Nuclear Alert?

Posted By Russ Carroll

Originally Posted by James Brown

A Trump sieve, or as Jim M notes, a HRC sieve is apparently the American way. 

My wife and I were in the car for a couple hours yesterday and wanted to listen to news about the war.  We were driving through Chaffee and Park Counties in CO, which are beautiful, but empty.  That means Sirius XM or a couple of rinky-dink local rock and country stations.  We have 4 news choices on our Sirius "favorites":  CNN Headline News, Fox Headline News, NPR, and the BBC World Service News.

For the short period we listened to CNN, it was all about Trump and the January 6 commission.  Ho Hum.  On Fox, it was all about Biden, and inflation, someone was talking about the shortcomings of the SOU speech still.  Yawn.  The juxtaposition with BBC World Service News was amazing

On the BBC there was sober and in-depth coverage of the war, with several experts discussing the developments on a minute by minute timescale.  They seemed pretty careful to separate what was fact from what was preliminary but unconfirmed intelligence.  Then they had a lengthy interview with a top reporter (maybe a founder) at Ekho Moskvy (the Echo of Moscow).   Ekho Moskvy was the leading independent radio station in Russia since 1990 and had literally been shut down by the Kremlin hours before.   The correspondent had no hesitation describing the lies broadcast from the Kremlin's propaganda machine.  she was frustrated with the Russian people since far too many of them buy into the party line.  (Think about that in the US context).  The only optimism this poor woman could muster was that she believes it impossible to totally shut off the flow of truth in Russia in 2022 because of the internet and social media.  Ekho Moskvy still has a you-tube channel. 

This was gripping radio.  The correspondent was expecting to be arrested imminently!  You could see in your mind's eye the KGB kicking in her office door.  The contrast between the soft partisan crap broadcast by CNN and Fox in the same format at the same time couldn't be more stark.  

Jim 

p.s.  I see that the US print media is reporting the seizure of all dissenting broadcasters in Russia.  https://www.usnews.com/news/business/articles/2022-03-03/russias-top-radio-station-shut-amid-crackdown-on-dissent  There is no doubt that Putin has fully returned to his roots.  The only issues now are whether he stops with Ukraine, and whether the Russian people will ultimately stand for it, or if indeed the majority fully supports the return of the Soviet Union.

I watch the overnight broadcast of Sky News in the morning. It is light-years beyond CNN/Fox/MSNBC. You can get it on Apple TV. 
American pols/journalists (and, dare I say, some forum members) just don't take things seriously.

This is not a criticism of actual news outlets like Reuters, AP, WSJ, WAPO, NYT, and I am not referring to the Editorial departments.

EDIT: I record it on DVR overnight on cable. It is available online for free at:

https://news.sky.com/watch-live

May 3, 2022 08:54 PM Forum: Politics

Roe Vs Wade Overturned

Posted By Russ Carroll

If this reduces the death of the unborn overall, I thank God for this. Count me as skeptical that this will be the outcome.

I'm also very troubled about how the court got to the composition it currently has that would make this decision possible and what it will mean for the already corrosive political climate we live in. Three picks by a one-term President, two of which questionable, one of which being outrageous, will only breed at the very least an "equal and opposite reaction" from the Democrats as Newton would say.

Election chaos at the state level will also be a site to behold, with some winners and losers, probably advantaging Democrats for quite some time into the future. I hope and pray that the unborn children of America are the actual winners, but where man is at work, shit happens.

May 4, 2022 08:23 PM Forum: Politics

Roe Vs Wade Overturned

Posted By Russ Carroll

I'm in between errands.  You and I do agree that it is immoral to terminate a pregnancy late in gestation.  Simple English.  You also believe that it is immoral to terminate immediately after conception.  If you had read my original post, you would already know that this is my personal view as well.  The only difference is that I presume, based upon your posts, that you think your personal view should be enforced by the government as the law upon everyone, whether they agree with you or not.  (Not made law just because it is your view of course, but because you think it is the right and proper thing to do)  I do not think my personal view should carry the weight of law in this instance, for all the reasons I explained in my first post.  Jim

Richard, you have to confess that it is a theological/philosophical argument that a fertilized egg is a human being. I think the vast majority of Americans (which I am not one of) believe destroying a fertilized egg is not killing someone.

Therefore, there are nuances, which Jim is trying to point out, that impact any fixed laws surrounding abortion. I am in the camp that it doesn't matter how the life began, it is sacred and deserving of humanities best protections. i don't consider people that disagree with this murderers for one reason: intent. I've thought for a long time that the only effective way to attack this issue is to change peoples hearts about the issue, which is the job of the Holy Spirit in my tradition and spiritual beliefs, not courts or laws. My traditions and beliefs are not unique to evangelicals, but they are not held by the majority of voters as near as I can tell.

Jesus looked at the sin of the people that He was trying to reach and it broke His heart. He cried out "forgive them, for they know not what they do" Christians need to approach this issue with the same humility, and I advise it to others as well.

May 5, 2022 02:33 AM Forum: Politics

Roe Vs Wade Overturned

Posted By Russ Carroll

Hi Russ:

Thanks for the meaningful contribution.  We three pro lifers obviously impressed Rod... I must say that I'm shocked you are not an American!  wink

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but California is still part of America. grin

Russ

May 5, 2022 02:39 PM Forum: Politics

Roe Vs Wade Overturned

Posted By Russ Carroll

Not to go all Richard on you, but:

James Brown

California is less of America each day, we are inundated with Golden State refugees here!  

I cant tell you how much I have paid in CA taxes by not moving out of state, but I can't. Family commitments keep me here and I'd rather be out the money than hurt family members health. I would have (and tried to) left years ago if I could have pulled it off. I need to throw in a few ALL-CAPS on occasion to be CONSISTENT!!

As a property owner, I benefit from the crazy appreciation, but I sure would not want to be a first time homebuyer. 

My house has tripled in value over the past couple of years. It is insane here. I do not know how new household formation is possible here without rich parents. We are turning into France. Stuffing $7T in COVID stimulus payments and $9T in Fed stimulus is the most egregious culprit in all of this. There is just STUPID MONEY everywhere!

There was a reasonable opinion piece this morning from Politico (linked on Real Clear), where the author argues that the Court overturning Roe may not effect the election in the way that most (including me) expect to happen (D up, R down).  There is a political firestorm raging of course, I just read another nauseating opinion piece from the Guardian, (courtesy of Real Clear) where the author breathlessly rants with boundless hyperbole that this decision ends America as a free country once and for all.  I guess the voters can't be trusted with the reins of a "free" country, but I digress. 

Honestly, it all just makes me SAD and HEARTBROKEN!!! when I see our country torn so badly with people at each others throats. I think prayer and just being a nice person is all I have left to offer.

Back to the first article, the questions explored are whether the abortion issue still packs the punch to change any voters' votes, or motivate any new voters.  The author is now skeptical that the abortion issue still has this power, in view of recent elections and other data.  She is not saying that abortion still lacks power as a wedge issue.  She is more or less saying that after 50 years, the voters have almost universally baked this issue into their party alignment.

What we have politically is an inverse damped harmonic oscillator, which doesn't end well. The author is WRONG in my OPINION in that turnout is what drives elections now more than philosophy. Both sides will be in an ever-increasing and long cycle of outrage. God help us...literally.

I leave you with the Bible verse of the day from biblegateway.com, which seems fitting:

Phil 4:6-7
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

May 5, 2022 03:47 PM Forum: Politics

Roe Vs Wade Overturned

Posted By Russ Carroll

Seriously, if more people shared your attitude then the country would not be torn.

Your Bible verse was in white font, at least on my computer, which made it like a secret code, Only visible if highlighted.  If this was intentional, it was masterfully done!  Assuming it was just a typo or cut/paste weirdness, I changed the font above.  Hopefully Rod does not report me for a TOS violation! 

Jim

Matt 13:44
"God’s kingdom is like a treasure hidden in a field for years and then accidentally found by a trespasser. The finder is ecstatic—what a find!"

May 9, 2022 11:43 PM Forum: Politics

Roe Vs Wade Overturned

Posted By Russ Carroll

The inescapable issue that the court can’t duck forever is when a life exists and has rights of his/her own. That can’t be left to states. What fraction of a person is a 7-month old premie yet to be born, 3/5ths? ( that was sarcasm btw)

May 11, 2022 05:05 PM Forum: Politics

Roe Vs Wade Overturned

Posted By Russ Carroll

Why not?  Why are the states any less well suited than a Court to make such a profound legal decision.  I think the states are better suited to make this sort of decision because they are (or at least should be) more receptive to the will of the people in their state.  Jim

Well, to make a somewhat extreme and absurd example, some southern churches in the 1800's taught that black people did not have a soul and were therefore really not humans. If that's true, you logically couldn't be guilty of murder if you killed a slave. We didn't let Alabama codify that thinking into law, regardless of the large popular support there was for that thinking in the south. 

May 11, 2022 08:29 PM Forum: Politics

Roe Vs Wade Overturned

Posted By Russ Carroll

Hi Russ: 

That is not an absurd example, it is a great starting point.  If Alabama had codified that sort of abhorrent thinking after 1866, the statute would have been stricken down by the Supreme Court under the Due Process and Equal Protection clauses of the 14th amendment.  It goes without saying, but such a law would have denied a class of people (Blacks) the equal protection of laws generally prohibiting murder and assault without due process.  

What class is being denied life, liberty, or the equal protection of a law when a state passes an abortion regulation?  The heart of the 14th Amendment is that its protections are engaged when state laws are applied unequally to a class of people.  Women could be the class, but where is the equal protection or due process violation?  This question is extremely difficult in the abortion context and was finessed with the right of privacy found in the penumbra of the 14th by Roe v. Wade.  

So, the Constitution is a backstop against any state statute that is unconstitutional.  Subjects that are not in the constitution are reserved to the states.  So we have come full circle.

But

I've been thinking about federalism a lot in this context.  It is clear that since the new deal, the federal government has taken authority over a lot of things that are not in the Constitution.  Education, transportation, environmental regulation, labor, and so on.  Usually, the authority for an agency regulation or federal legislation in these formerly "state law" areas of law is the interstate commerce clause of the Constitution.   This makes sense to me.  In the 1780s most commerce was not interstate.  In 2022, virtually all commerce is interstate.   I think that Congress can theoretically pass an abortion statute and cause it to be Constitutionally binding on all 50 states using one technique or another.  Murkowski and Collins have a bill pending now.  The Ds have another.  The big ask is for the R's and D's to pass something.  I do not think they can for many practical and many extremely cynical reasons.  Until they do, it looks like this is left to the states as a practical matter, until Congress can act or the Court is reconstructed over time.

Jim

Young/new people