Tommy Wlasichuk

Fireworks Galaxy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Russ Carroll

September 8, 2022 06:26 PM Forum: Politics

NYT: Trump’s Post-Election Fund-Raising Comes Under Scrutiny by Justice Dept.

Posted By Russ Carroll

Originally Posted by Jim Moscheck
I just can't keep up with the legal woes surrounding everybody's favorite failed reality/game show host, well at least Rich and Greg's favorite failed reality/game show host.

First, Bannon surrenders himself to a NY DA for duping donors with the build the wall scheme. But wait, you say, he was pardoned by Trump for that. Too bad it doesn't extend to the state prosecution. I wonder if they'll let him wear multiple orange jumpsuits to keep up his weird layered fashion decisions.

But just now it's reported by the NYT:

"A federal grand jury in Washington is examining the formation of — and spending by — a super PAC created by Donald J. Trump after his loss in the 2020 election as he was raising millions of dollars by baselessly asserting that the results had been marred by widespread voting fraud.

According to subpoenas issued by the grand jury, the contents of which were described to The New York Times, the Justice Department is interested in the inner workings of Save America PAC, Mr. Trump’s main fund-raising vehicle after the election. Several similar subpoenas were sent on Wednesday to junior and midlevel aides who worked in the White House and for Mr. Trump’s presidential campaign."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/08/us/politics/trump-save-america-pac-subpoenas.html

I wonder if the DOJ will even have time to look at the donor-match craziness of the Trump campaign. I think I literally got a "1200% donor match!!" offer by text from this sleaze bag at one time. I guess the key is to do so many shady/illegal things that you overwhelm the system and nothing ever gets prosecuted.

September 8, 2022 10:16 PM Forum: Politics

LOL Hey Rich....Kunstler nailed them to the cross with this one LOL

Posted By Russ Carroll

Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer

A result of crossed wiring in the brain..... cool

You did it again! Here's two more for you guys.

September 8, 2022 11:42 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By Russ Carroll

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

Make that 7 responses.  wink

OMG, that is such a good one! Here's your own 6-pack to celebrate:

September 9, 2022 04:34 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By Russ Carroll

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

OOH, you seem to be getting more and more riled up counselor.  

Didn't you start calling him a baker or a plumber or something like that?

September 9, 2022 07:44 PM Forum: Politics

Lol! Judge Tosses Trump's Lawsuit Against Hillary Clinton, James Comey, FBI officials Peter Strzok and Lisa Page.

Posted By Russ Carroll

Originally Posted by James Brown

Funny - and here I thought Trump's case against HRC etc. was iron clad....  cool

Incidentally, I laughed out loud at this passage, does it remind you of anyone's style from these parts?

“What [Trump’s lawsuit] lacks in substance and legal support it seeks to substitute with length, hyperbole, and the settling of scores and grievances,” he continued.

Jim

I always wondered how Trump overlooked Richard for his cabinet. Would have been epic.

September 12, 2022 07:19 PM Forum: Politics

September 12, 2022 07:27 PM Forum: Politics

"Never Again" Trumper.

Posted By Russ Carroll

I agree with this statement 100% "By staying in the spotlight, he makes it hard to hold Biden and the Democrats to account for their mess."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-want-the-gop-to-make-america-great-again-but-not-with-trump-midterms-election-republicans-independents-media-press-democrats-voters-conservative-biden-florida-11662913143?mod=hp_opin_pos_1

"The media typically divides the GOP into two camps, Trump supporters and Never Trumpers. Many Republicans I know fall into neither one. We oppose Never Trumpers on ideological grounds, but we’re also exhausted with Donald Trump, convinced he’s damaging our side’s chances in the midterms and will lose in 2024 if he’s the GOP nominee.

I left the country for nearly a month this summer and came back to find that Democrats were rising in generic polls and President Biden’s approval rating had ticked up. That shouldn’t be possible given the state of dysfunction in which we now live. If the Republicans can’t make big gains in the midterms and recapture the White House in 2024 with the hapless Mr. Biden at the helm, the GOP needs a revolution, starting at the top.

I’m about to turn 50 and can’t recall ever feeling so pessimistic about our leaders and the direction of the country. The stock market had its worst first half of a year in my lifetime, and I don’t have the stomach lately to check and see what’s left of my investment portfolio. Inflation is higher than it has been since I was in elementary school, and mortgage rates are around 6%.

Under Mr. Biden’s watch, disorder reigns. America has lost control of its southern border, drug overdoses have reached an all-time high, and violent crime has increased thanks to soft-on-crime policies and a lack of support for the police. His party’s commitment to teachers unions and pandemic school closures have led to declining test scores and an epidemic of chronic absenteeism. Abroad, the U.S. has bumbled into disaster after disaster. We gifted the Taliban billions in weaponry during a chaotic withdrawal in Afghanistan, which—along with other administration ineptitudes—emboldened Vladimir Putin to launch an invasion of Ukraine.

Yet our president blames his failures on “ultra-MAGA” Trump voters, whom he often likens to domestic terrorists. Consumers of conservative media gorge on clips and coverage of Mr. Biden’s every gaffe and wonder how anyone can support him. People still do in large part because the mainstream media keeps the spotlight off the president and on, you guessed it, Mr. Trump. Independents and moderate Democrats should be flocking to the GOP, given Mr. Biden’s commitment to radical and haphazard progressive policy. But many voters don’t want anything to do with a party that’s clueless enough to keep Mr. Trump as the headliner of its show.

The former president’s most ardent fans fail to grasp the depths of his unpopularity. Some seem to live in a fantasy land, still believing he won 2020 in a landslide. Many Republicans who should know better continue to indulge these delusions to the detriment of their party and the country.

Only 27% of Americans want Mr. Trump to run again, and there are better options for 2024. While the former president is fixated on himself, the governor of Florida, my adopted home state, is more focused on policy. A recent Economist/YouGov poll showed that while Mr. Trump’s favorability is 17 points underwater, Gov. Ron DeSantis is plus two—despite ferociously negative and misleading press.

And yet we’ve seen no indication that Mr. DeSantis or any other leading Republican with a serious chance of beating Mr. Trump is willing to engage in the brass-knuckle brawl necessary to dethrone him. (Rep. Liz Cheney has a 17% approval rating among Republicans, so she can make lots of noise but won’t get anywhere.) And so, anti-Trump and anti-Never-Trump Republicans like me are stranded in the political wilderness.

This problem extends beyond potential 2024 contenders. Though they have to know Mr. Trump is a liability for the party, many influential conservatives seem afraid to criticize the former president and risk offending his base. This allows Democrats and the media to suggest that the choice for Republicans is between Mr. Trump or someone who can never get the party’s support, such as Sen. Mitt Romney or Ms. Cheney. Only 57% of Republicans want Mr. Trump to run again, but that could be enough with a crowded field. On Super Tuesday in 2016 he won 34% of the vote, compared with 29% for Ted Cruz and 22% for Marco Rubio.

If Republicans want to escape the nightmarish conditions Mr. Biden has inflicted on the country, they can’t allow Mr. Trump to continue to lead the party. Mr. DeSantis and other conservative leaders don’t have to denounce the former president. But they must distance themselves from him and talk Mr. Trump’s most ardent supporters off the ledge, making the case that competency and substance are more important than bluster and bravado.

The best-case scenario for the left is for Republicans to succumb to their fears and stick with an unpopular, polarizing candidate who would re-enter the White House at 78 if elected. The Democrats made a similar mistake in 2016, making the unpopular and polarizing Hillary Clinton their candidate, essentially because it was “her turn” and they didn’t want to offend her supporters. We all saw how that turned out.

Mr. Seminara is a former diplomat and author of “Footsteps of Federer: A Fan’s Pilgrimage Across 7 Swiss Cantons in 10 Acts.”

September 15, 2022 04:08 PM Forum: Politics

Meanwhile in Europe

Posted By Russ Carroll

Originally Posted by Brian McFarland

Big surprise: a country run by crooks, thugs, and oligarchs cannot compete on the world stage with healthy democracies.

Amen. In fact, they can't even complete with unhealthy ones.

September 20, 2022 05:43 PM Forum: Politics

You thought the movie The Purge was simply a laughably absurd bit of theater?? Think again!

Posted By Russ Carroll

I would just be happy if criminals were arrested at all. I have a relative who runs sales nationally for a nation-wide retailer. He said that loss in stores on the west coast approach 20% and they have no help from law enforcement to stop it. I see videos every day of theft from stores that is so brazen that it is hard to believe it is America. 

Losses from 3 states (CA, OR, WA) is greater than all of the other states combined.

Lawlessness breeds lawlessness. This is out of control, at least in the western US (CA, OR, WA)

September 20, 2022 06:00 PM Forum: Politics

You thought the movie The Purge was simply a laughably absurd bit of theater?? Think again!

Posted By Russ Carroll

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

You might want to read more about it:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-12-30/smash-grab-robberies-los-angeles

and:

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/gov-newsom-enlists-california-highway-patrol-to-help-stop-smash-and-grab-retail-robberies/

I'm getting the real-time loss figures right from the horses mouth. It ain't getting better.