Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Russ Carroll

May 25, 2012 04:28 AM Forum: Politics

May 25, 2012 03:42 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Re: finding and centering planets under high magni

Posted By Russ Carroll

Sonny Schug said:

I'm using an Orion Planetary camera with my C-9.25 scope. I'm having a difficult time finding and centering
planets at high magnification of about f/20 and above. I'm using a 2x and 3x barlow with the C-9.25 and have yet to find and center a planet on my computer screen at those magnifications. No problem at f/10.
Any suggestions?

1) You may be so out of focus that you can't see it even when it's in the field
2) center it w/o barlow, then put the barlow in and assume the focus is off.

Just a thought.

Edit: Not familiar with that camera, but if it doesn't have an auto gain feature, you will need to pump up the gain at f/20 as well.

May 30, 2012 01:21 AM Forum: Politics

Obama is an Economic Illiterate

Posted By Russ Carroll

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/forget-bain-obamas-public-equity-record-is-the-real-scandal/2012/05/24/gJQAXnXCnU_story.html

"Now the man who made Solyndra a household name says Mitt Romney’s record at Bain Capital “is what this campaign is going to be about.” Good luck with that, Mr. President. If Obama wants to attack Romney’s alleged private equity failures as chief executive of Bain, he’d better be ready to defend his own massive public equity failures as chief executive of the United States."

Bye, Bye, Comrade...

May 31, 2012 09:39 PM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

June 5, 2012 03:44 PM Forum: Politics

Artur Davis Abandons Obama

Posted By Russ Carroll

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/artur-davis-obama-disappointed/2012/05/30/gJQAooxx2U_blog.html

June 7, 2012 09:44 PM Forum: Politics

June 9, 2012 05:18 PM Forum: Politics

Obama thinks he's a conservative

Posted By Russ Carroll

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303753904577452793597495290.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read

If you tell a lie big enough, people will believe it:

"It became apparent some weeks ago when the president talked on the stump—where else?—about an essay by a fellow who said spending growth is actually lower than that of previous presidents. This was startling to a lot of people, who looked into it and found the man had left out most spending from 2009, the first year of Mr. Obama's presidency. People sneered: The president was deliberately using a misleading argument to paint a false picture! "

That's like Joey Chestnut and Kobayashi eating 65 hot dogs on July 5, 6, and 7 and declaring they didn't increase eating hardly at all:

June 15, 2012 07:41 PM Forum: Politics

Q: WHat do you get when you appoint Fannie Mae

Posted By Russ Carroll

...Executive VP as the National Security Advisor???

A: Blood of hero's on your hands

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303734204577466910796158718.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

"There's something in the leaks that is a hallmark of the Obama White House. They always misunderstand the country they seek to spin, and they always think less of it than it deserves. Why do the president's appointees think the picture of him with a kill list in his hand makes him look good? He sits and personally decides who to kill? Americans don't think of their presidents like that. And they don't want to.

National security doesn't exist to help presidents win elections. It's not a plaything or a tool to advance one's prospects.

After the killing of bin Laden, members of the administration, in a spirit of triumphalism, began giving briefings and interviews in which they said too much. One of the adults in the administration, then-Defense Secretary Robert Gates, reportedly went to Mr. Donilon's office. "I have a new strategic communications approach to recommend," he said. What? asked Mr. Donilon.

"Shut the [blank] up," Mr. Gates said.

Still excellent advice, and at this point more urgently needed."

June 21, 2012 03:36 PM Forum: Politics

Where the Right Went Wrong

Posted By Russ Carroll

I watched the Ray Maddow show on MSDNC last night. I do every year or so for grins.

I could not believe my freaking ears as Ray explained that the "Fast and Furious" scandal centered on a theory by the entire right that Obama is flooding the SW with guns for criminals to discredit gun ownership, and thus get public support for gun control. I thought, man these guys on the left are desperate to try and frame this debate in such a ridiculous way. They are trying to "lunacize" a very serious investigation into a horrible program that ended up providing weapons to bad guys that ended up killing good guys, courtesy of Uncle Sam, and a potential coverup. SERIOUS STUFF.

I made the mistake of watching Fox news, which I watch about as often (slow night at my house) and sure as s$@t, there was Monica Crowley pitching this same idiotic theory on the Hannity show.

This is the kind of idiocy that makes the right look like lunatics and diverts attention away from the shameful record of this administration.

IF YOU HOLD TO THIS THINKING, or are a birther, or whatever, please hold that thought. Your best revenge is to run this loser and his pals out of Washington in November, and your best contribution is to let Obama be smeared by HIS RECORD...a very simple task. I know it seems like it's not going fast enough, but ad-spends will not really pick up until near election time. Remember, the electorate has an incredibly short attention span, so you have to saturate the media fairly close to the actual vote.

Even if you are 100% right, pushing these fringe ideas will only defeat your (our) cause. IMHO, this is exactly how W got a second term. Lets work together on this on, K?

June 24, 2012 06:01 PM Forum: Politics

You know you're a Euro when

Posted By Russ Carroll

You can get a do-over on vacation:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/world/europe/europe-court-says-sick-workers-can-retake-vacations.html?_r=1&smid=fb-share