My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Tom Baty

June 22, 2010 12:13 PM Forum: Mounts

crazy idea

Posted By Tom Baty

Maybe this is dumb, or maybe not. Why doesn't someone manufacture a battery unit that can be used as a counterweight for an EQ mount. A round battery with a hole in the middle and a lock on one end to replace your regular weights. No tripping over cables in the dark, all in one unit so you can leave it on the mount and you are ready to go. Any rate it is just an idea (Patent is not pending...give me one and we will call it even)

Tom

November 17, 2010 01:37 PM Forum: Politics

Sheeeee's Back!!!

Posted By Tom Baty

Thank goodness the Dems have put Nancy P back as minority leader of the House. I kept on reading these news blogs about NanNan being "stripped" of her leadership role. Using that verb in the same sentence as Nancy P's name was making my skin crawl.

December 9, 2010 01:06 PM Forum: Politics

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide

Posted By Tom Baty

At the UN conference in Cancun, hundreds of attendees have signed a petition to ban the use of that dangerous Dihydrogen Monoxide. The petition stated that it is one of the greatest causes of the green house effect and global warming, it is eroding mountains and is dangerous if inhaled. Dihydrogen Monoxide is in our lakes, rivers and in vegetation, animals and even humans. It damages even many metals and its use needs to be band!! These people must be totally stupid, this joke is as old as could be. I remember it was around when I was a kid in high school. None of the signers questioned it. UN in Nuc Nac...unbelievable.

Regards Tom

March 22, 2011 09:21 PM Forum: Politics

Playing the Trump Card

Posted By Tom Baty

After all these decades of playing the race card perhaps the democrats could face the Republicans playing the Trump card. So what do you guys think of the Donald running for POTUS. I think it would be very interesting, I would pay admission to watch that one. Come late 012 I could almost imagine the new Pres-elect walking into the oval office and telling apprentice Obama....YOUR FIRED!!

January 5, 2012 07:06 PM Forum: Mounts

Computerizing a Super Polaris???

Posted By Tom Baty

I have an older Vixen/Celestron Super Polaris mount which I have had for years. It only has a single drive which for my purposes of doing visual with my TV 85 works just fine. I noticed that Orion sells a complete goto set up for their Skyview Pro mount, which I know is a chinese clone of the SP. I went to Orion's web site and checked it out, just looking it over it seems that it might, maybe, perhaps, be adaptable to my Super Polaris. I am only thinking about it at this point, but I was wondering if anyone out there on Astromart has already done this or knows of someone that has. Any thoughts or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys for your input.

Tom

March 8, 2012 09:56 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Combining your account record

Posted By Tom Baty

I moved here to Kentucky from Atlanta, Ga. and had to get a new computer server and email address. Is there anyway to combine my past Astromart activity on my old email address so it will show up under my new email address and account. Do not know if that is possible or not, if it is can someone direct me to a source for the procedure to do it.

Thanks
Tom

March 8, 2012 04:07 PM Forum: SCI-FI

John Carter of Mars

Posted By Tom Baty

I am generally a hard sci-fi fan and tech junky and not into the fantasy stuff. But, when I was a kid I read all eleven of Edgar Rice Burroughs, John Carter of Mars series.The movie version of the first book "A Princess of Mars" is to be released under just the name "John Carter" The early reviews seem to be good, so I will probably break down and go see this just for old times sake. Should be interesting to see the old Mars of the 1800's and early 1900's before reality set in and ruined things. LOL

February 15, 2013 11:06 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron Nexstar Handbox mount

Posted By Tom Baty

I am in the process of obtaining a Celestron NexStar 6SE. A friend has an 8SE so I am familiar with them. One thing I do not like is the handbox setup on the one arm mount. I remember about 2 years seeing an ad on the computer for a mounting device that can be installed that hooks onto the handbox clips on the arm and turns the handbox 90 degrees to face the rear of the scope and seems to be much more stable and secure. Does anyone out there in Astromart land know about this and who makes them and where I can make contact to get one. Thanks in advance for your help......Tom

April 8, 2013 01:52 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Nextstar 6SE Diagonal

Posted By Tom Baty

I have a Celestron Nextstar 6SE on the way. I have a number of two inch eyepieces which I wish to use. I already have a 2 inch refractor diagonal; but I think I might have clearance issues with the base using that diagonal with a SCT adapter. So I am planning to get another diagonal with the SCT direct attachment. Is there is anyone that has had experience with this situation and can giving me some imput on balancing the tube, etc, and any other problems I might expect to have. Thanks!!!!

Tom

March 5, 2008 11:09 AM Forum: Politics

Obama stealing election!

Posted By Tom Baty

What was it the democrats said in Fla. during the 2000 election, that "it was important that every vote be made to count" Now let us see if they will practice what they preach?