My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Darin Joeckel

June 9, 2010 10:32 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

What's the Motive?

Posted By Darin Joeckel

I've noticed after following this forum for a little while that many who post here are critics of human caused global warming. I was under the impression that there was a scientific consensus on this issue.

I can see the possible motives of opponents, such as protecting fossil fuel and related industries. However, I'm having trouble figuring out what you guys think the underlying motives of the proponents are.

I will admit, this isn't an issue I follow very closely so I'm not trying to start anything here, just looking for some information.

Darin

June 11, 2010 07:27 PM Forum: Religion

Re: Do Chris, Clyde, and Rod exist?

Posted By Darin Joeckel

Scott Satko said:

I've read multiple posts on this forum (from those listed in the title of this thread as well as from others) that God does not exist. Furthermore, it's been stated ad nauseum that the burden of proof lies solely upon those that claim that He exists, whereas absolutely no burden of proof whatsoever lies upon the non-believers to prove their point of view.

Therefore, I'd like to try this little experiment. I've decided that I no longer believe that Chris, Clyde, or Rod exist. The burden of proof lies upon them to prove to me that they exist. So guys, how do you intend to prove to me that you really exist? I won't accept as proof testimony from others that they have met you, because I consider secondhand info like that to be suspect, and I don't know that they're not just trying to push their own agenda on me. I also won't go out of my way to make it easy for you to contact me, because I'd rather shut my eyes to the alleged fact that you may exist. Go ahead, show me what you've got. This should be interesting!

I recently learned this trick from Doug of all people. The the words in bold type reveal why it's pointless to respond to you. smile

June 12, 2010 01:18 PM Forum: Religion

Re: Do Chris, Clyde, and Rod exist?

Posted By Darin Joeckel

Scott Satko said:

Alright, now that I've made my point, I'm done with this Anti-Religion forum. Life's too short to waste it debating endlessly with you guys. Have fun congratulating each other on how enlightened you all are. Adios!

Actually Scott, you haven't made your point. The Pascal's Wager thing is an issue non-believers have addressed many times. We were well prepared for that one and really didn't use anything new to expose its flaws.
Bible passages too, are usually easy to refute.
But this attempt , although it was a straight forward process to expose its flaws, at least showed some creativity on your part. I think your debating skills maybe evolving on this topic. smile
Debating this topic can be very frustrating at times, but I still think it's helpful for both sides. So come back and bring your ideas with you. I'm willing to listen with an open-mind and try to keep the debate civil. No promises on this one though.
Sorry guys, I know you want him to leave, but I like to have someone to argue with!

June 16, 2010 05:30 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Wild turkeys

Posted By Darin Joeckel

Here's a picture of 3 male wild turkeys that were strutting around trying to impress a couple of hens. They were in the field behind my house.

June 26, 2010 10:28 PM Forum: Religion

Why do people of faith go to the doctor?

Posted By Darin Joeckel

Specifically, why do believers seek medical treatment when they are diagnosed with a life threatening disease? I understand pain management so don't use that one, but if you truly believe in eternal bliss, shouldn't you be ecstatic? Shouldn't your believing family and friends also be excited for your early ticket to heaven, and maybe even a little jealous? To me, this is evidence that people may not be as confident in their faith as they say they are.

July 18, 2010 08:20 AM Forum: Religion

Vatican revisions

Posted By Darin Joeckel

Not too long ago I asked why women could not be ordained as priests and got no answer. Well, late last week the Vatican answered my question. Evidently, trying to ordain women as priests is as grave of an offense as pedophilia! I'm speechless. What do you guys think? Here's a link and please read it. I'm not making this stuff up:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/16/world/europe/16vatican.html

April 14, 2010 09:10 PM Forum: Politics

Taxes: Fair and Balanced

Posted By Darin Joeckel

http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/01/ge-exxon-walmart-business-washington-corporate-taxes_slide_4.html
I guess most of these guys must vote for Democrats too. Picking a couple off of this list, #2 Exxon-Mobil turned a profit of $37 billion in 2009. They did pay $17.6 billion in income taxes, but unfortunately, it was all to foreign governments, not a penny for U.S. income taxes. Worse yet, #4 GE profited $10.3 billion and somehow managed to get a $1.1 billion refund check. Both Dems and Repubs are equally at fault for this corporate welfare. Where do you think their campaign contributions come from?
Darin

June 2, 2010 08:33 AM Forum: Ask rating questions here

Need to change a rating that I gave someone.

Posted By Darin Joeckel

I think your only option is to delete the rating.

Darin

June 2, 2010 10:05 AM Forum: Ask rating questions here

Need to change a rating that I gave someone.

Posted By Darin Joeckel

Scott Satko said:

Eric Doney said:

Is it possible and/or can someone tell me how to change a rating that I have given someone? Thank you.

You could try deleting the previous rating. If the ad is still up, you can then re-respond to the ad, which should (at least, I think, as I've never tried this myself) give you another chance to rate the transaction. If you decide to try this, let us know if it actually works.

I thought about this too Scott, but I wasn't sure if it was a violation or not. I don't see any reason why this would not work though, unless the ad was Eric's.

June 8, 2010 06:57 PM Forum: Global Warming - REAL or NOT

Alternative Theories in the Classroom

Posted By Darin Joeckel

It really sucks to be from Kansas sometimes. smile
Darin