Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Andromeda Galaxy M31

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Posts Made By: John Lottes

May 28, 2015 12:03 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

White Light Filter & Ha filter at the same time?!

Posted By John Lottes

Ok, I have a DA question for the group.

My wife's work has purchased 2 8" Dobs (XT8's) for outreach & they are in the process of getting full aperature white light filters for them so they can be used for solar outreach as well. They plan on a PST next fiscal year.

I came up with a screwball idea of using a 1 1/4" Ha filter in the focuser AND the white light filter at the same time. What would this get in terms of a spectrum shift/filtering? Would this be Ha scope on the cheap? I'm trying to get them to the point of a true Ha scope but with an 8" reflector it isn't intuitive or easy. My thinking is that the WL filter will reduce the total light energy enough that it won't instantaneously blind someone, and the Ha filter would do a bandpass to see the Ha.

Thanx

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

November 9, 2011 08:10 AM Forum: Eyepieces

OIII Filter Shootout

Posted By John Lottes

Rod,
What do you think of the TO OIII for a R200SS, AT6RC, & 152 mm f8?
FYO FWIW I'm in a Yellow Zone outside DC

Thanx T-Man. 8)

October 5, 2012 04:05 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Older Losmandy G-11 mount R.A. shaft and setting c

Posted By John Lottes

Jonathan,
I saw that you hadn't gotten an answer so... try this link http://www.losmandy.com/pdf/ldsc-manual.pdf
You can also try this one: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Losmandy_users/ HTH

Clear Dark Skies
John
39.138274 -77.168898

March 19, 2013 12:19 PM Forum: Home Observatories

Snow Piles

Posted By John Lottes

Chris,
We haven't had more than 2" of snow for the last 2 winters here in DC land. I'll try to send you some heat.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

March 21, 2013 11:11 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

New Drive for an older Mount

Posted By John Lottes

Walter,
I Googled your mount & from what I can tell, (I never seen one) it looks like the same setup as my Losmandy HGM-200. If that is the case, then either the Digital Drive System (Losmandy 492 drive) or Gemini-2 should work. I'll go home & take some pics with a scale of the drives & send them to you if you want.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

March 26, 2013 11:02 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Tandem or Piggyback ?

Posted By John Lottes

Steven,
I'm doing a Side By Side on an HGM-200. For me, it makes aligning the scopes & finding flexure easier since each scope is a discrete unit. Then again, the HGM is a beast & can hold a ton of weight & still goto & track well.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

May 28, 2013 08:54 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Why are our American cousins afraid to ship to Can

Posted By John Lottes

Thomas,
I've had a few things shipped in from CAN, all with different results. I've had a BIG DT (24" 610mm) & Saddle 14" (355mm) plate that made it here in ~6 days. I had an EP that took 2 months getting across the border. I had a FLIR camera that took 18 months to be allowed to bring it back in (My work (A local Gov't) shipped it to the original manufacturer in CAN for service). The US Census Bureau refused reentry as it was too sensitive for use (we had already owned it for 10 yrs?!?). I had a Dovetail held up by USPS for 2 weeks as "undetermined import" object, until I tracked it down & was able to show the inspector a webpic of its purpose, then it was released & was overnighted to me as no additional cost. Shipping things across the border is a hit or miss thing on both sides.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898

November 13, 2014 10:11 AM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Not new to astronomy but very rusty!

Posted By John Lottes

Eandy,
If you got a big DOB you could hang a "small" 6" Acro like a Celestron C6R (~$400) on it & still do planetary.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898